Off Solstice yesterday; My apologies to all of you

jc foster

6 hours ago, C4HCG said:

Fair assessment and acknowledge you qualify it as a broad generalisation but I am a non-foodie for sure but can still appreciate food in the way you describe the first group do as I am sure many other non-foodies do.  I may well be stating the obvious there!

But I agree with your observation, those of us who can accept the current food offerings continue to be happy with Celebrity.

Sorry but I'm going to use another Americanized euphemism.  Those who have never eaten a good Prime steak believe a hamburger steak is flavorful, tender and very good.

It's all in perspective.

• Like 2

Personally I don't give a rat's you know what if most people enjoy the latest changes in Celebrity menus.  All that matters to me is I don't.  If I can find better cuisine on other cruise lines at a similar or even a little more expensive price, that's my prerogative just as enjoying their lessening of order options and beef cuts is yours reached my tipping point. 

At this point in my life, I've done well in the market and won't outlive my portfolio because I'm usually an under spender.  However when it comes to cruising, I've shifted my paradigm to enjoy. It's taken me a long time to reach that thought, so I suppose Celebrity moved the opposite direction for me.  Too bad because I used to really enjoy Celebrity until the death by a thousand cuts.

I had been in marketing over four decades. You can't call yourself luxury while over promising and under delivering. I believe we're seen the push back from the Celebrity loyalists over that but I'll bet they regret it too. I really wanted Celebrity to continue to be my go to line. That's why I'm so disappointed and upset.    They took that away from me.

However if you still enjoy Celebrity, by all mean I wish you happy sailings.  Only you will know when the time is right to change your opinion.    Good luck.

Edited by ChucktownSteve
  • Like 15

I'm not sure  its really about whether or not folks have or have not experienced quality cuisine. It's more about what they are willing to accept. 

Both of my younger adult kids were hoome Sunday. We ususally get Denny's pumpkin pecan pancakes together at least once each fall, and that's what we did. They were fantastic - for  Denny's pumpkin pecan pancakes. They absolutely met our expectations and had that nostalgia factor. They were not Misty's Sunday Brunch quality they were Denny's quality, and that was perfectly fine.

Misty's is a fantastic and pricy Sunday Brunch at a nice SoCal hotel. We pay for, expect, and get Misty's quality when we go there. We pay for, expect, and get Danny's quality when we go there. The prices of both have risen. the quality of each has stayed consistent. 

As I see it, the problem for some is paying for and expecting one level of quality and getting an entirely different one.  Other people are clearly okay with paying for one level and getting another. That does not mean they have never experienced good quality, just that they are okay with paying for better than they get. I don't think we need to accuse them of never experiencing good quality. 

• Like 9

43 minutes ago, MamaFej said:

I'm not sure  its really about whether or not folks have or have not experienced quality cuisine. It's more about what they are willing to accept. 

Both of my younger adult kids were hoome Sunday. We ususally get Denny's pumpkin pecan pancakes together at least once each fall, and that's what we did. They were fantastic - for  Denny's pumpkin pecan pancakes. They absolutely met our expectations and had that nostalgia factor. They were not Misty's Sunday Brunch quality they were Denny's quality, and that was perfectly fine.

Misty's is a fantastic and pricy Sunday Brunch at a nice SoCal hotel. We pay for, expect, and get Misty's quality when we go there. We pay for, expect, and get Danny's quality when we go there. The prices of both have risen. the quality of each has stayed consistent. 

As I see it, the problem for some is paying for and expecting one level of quality and getting an entirely different one.  Other people are clearly okay with paying for one level and getting another. That does not mean they have never experienced good quality, just that they are okay with paying for better than they get. I don't think we need to accuse them of never experiencing good quality. 

True. I agree with expecting Denny's quality at Denny's prices. I would have those same expectations.

However, how would you feel if Misty's Sunday Brunch quality became Denny's quality but at Misty's Sunday Brunch price?

Your point of the quality of both has remained the same is key. However the complaint with Celebrity by many is the quality has not remained the same while they have continued to raise prices.

Edited by ChucktownSteve
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, ChucktownSteve said:

True. I agree with expecting Denny's quality at Denny's prices. How would you feel if Misty's Sunday Brunch quality became Denny's quality but at Misty's Sunday Brunch price?

I believe that is exactly their point.  People have booked Celebrity at prices and past experience that they expect and now are finding out that may not be the case.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, micruiser2002 said:

I believe that is exactly their point.  People have booked Celebrity at prices and past experience that they expect and now are finding out that may not be the case.

Precisely. 

I actually edited out reiterating that because it felt redundant and as if I were belaboring the point. I didn't want to beat people over the head. 

I'm among those who are disappointed to have paid for Celebrity quality and to be getting less. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Cruise till you drop said:

Sorry but this thread has become tiresome as neither side seems to want to listen to each other.  
Critics continue to bash and cheerleaders continue to praise and it just goes on and on without any facts, just opinion.

I am Unfollowing. See you on another thread

Not bashing, just noting the cutbacks, and they are huge in the MDR.  

BTW, I was shocked when we only got chocolates on the pillow only on the first day.  I wonder how much they are saving on that cutback?  

• Like 3

8 hours ago, MamaFej said:

Thank you, a very balanced post. I thought the previous post from @ChucktownSteve that inferred people who accept the current Celebrity offerings have “never eaten a good prime steak” was very unfair, you describe the situation well. For clarity Steve, we do fine dining and appreciate it, our different perspective is dining in my view not the most important aspect of a cruise. Does not make us what you portrayed or at least suggested in your post.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, C4HCG said:

Thank you, a very balanced post. I thought the previous post from @ChucktownSteve that inferred people who accept the current Celebrity offerings have “never eaten a good prime steak” was very unfair, you describe the situation well. For clarity Steve, we do fine dining and appreciate it, our different perspective is dining in my view not the most important aspect of a cruise. Does not make us what you portrayed or at least suggested in your post.  

Apparently you take everything I say literally?  I wonder if that is similar to the differences in American and British humor.  Or is that humour?

Edited by ChucktownSteve
  • Haha 1

Watching the hifaluters squabble over who has the best taste in fine dining is like free bonus entertainment for those of us down here in Riff-Raff Class™.

While we're chowing down on perfectly decent scran in the buffet those in the posh seats are throwing insults at each other like bread rolls.

Please don't stop.😅

Edited by Baggy178
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, RichYak said:

There are 2 types of cruisers: those who can appreciate well-prepared dishes made with high quality proteins and ingredients and those who are happy to be fed (non-foodies).

Dish of the day.

Pan-fried pompous with a soupçon of sanctimonious and a compote of complete crap.😉😅

Edited by Baggy178
It's a joke !

On 9/16/2023 at 12:39 PM, Loracpin2 said:

Thanks for your post. We are Elite Plus and are already having concerns about our upcoming January Apex sailing. If the food is anywhere near what you have described, this will also be our last Celebrity cruise. 

I know I've said this numerous times before but will say it once again......since RCI purchased Celebrity in 1997 it is amazing how "little by little" they have managed to destroy the Celebrity brand!!

The same can be said how the Carnival Corporation has ruined Holland America and Princess.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Baggy178 said:

Dish of the day.

Pan-fried pompous with a soupçon of sanctimonious and a compote of complete crap.😉😅

What they don't realize is that the Riff-Raff class represents 95% of the guests on the boat.  But the elitist attitude is always entertainment at best. I make more money than 95% of them, but have never seen the value in over priced suites/AQ on a boat that I'm going to only spend 7 days of my life. Especially considering we spend most of our time outside of sleeping, not in the cabin. If I want nice digs, it's going to be at an air bnb in the mountains, where we'll spend more time in than out.
BUT, the entertainment value is real!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, rmedistro said:

What they don't realize is that the Riff-Raff class represents 95% of the guests on the boat.  But the elitist attitude is always entertainment at best. I make more money than 95% of them, but have never seen the value in over priced suites/AQ on a boat that I'm going to only spend 7 days of my life. Especially considering we spend most of our time outside of sleeping, not in the cabin. If I want nice digs, it's going to be at an air bnb in the mountains, where we'll spend more time in than out.

Which is why I find being ' invited ' to bid on a non-refundable upgrade so bizarre.

Others will have a different view but to me it simply looks demeaning.

You've chosen the level of cabin and service you're perfectly happy with then allow yourself to be teased with the equivalent of baubles and trinkets.

The end result is you're going to pay more than you originally intended in a blind auction and you can't change your mind.

Kudos to the person who came up with the idea - it's quite a wheeze to fleece the wealthy.

Edited by Baggy178
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Baggy178 said:

Which is why I find being ' invited ' to bid on a non-refundable upgrade so bizarre.

Others will have a different view but to me it simply looks demeaning.

You've chosen the level of cabin and service you're perfectly happy with then allow yourself to be teased with the equivalent of baubles and trinkets.

The end result is you're going to pay more than you originally intended in a blind auction and you can't change your mind.

Kudos to the person who came up with the idea - it's quite a wheeze to fleece the wealthy.

The juice ain't worth the squeeze

2 hours ago, rmedistro said:

"What they don't realize is that the Riff-Raff class represents 95% of the guests on the boat.  But the elitist attitude is always entertainment at best.  I make more money than 95% of them......."

This comment is an insult and, as a result, includes you as a leading member of the Riff-Raff class!!!!!!!!!! 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Loracpin2 said:

"What they don't realize is that the Riff-Raff class represents 95% of the guests on the boat.  But the elitist attitude is always entertainment at best.  I make more money than 95% of them......."

This comment is an insult and, as a result, includes you as a leading member of the Riff-Raff class!!!!!!!!!! 

Thanks for the endorsement! 🙂