QM2 Mixed Review: Some deferred maintenance, poor food, but a delight otherwise

gphb

12 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

Certainly the food is one of the reasons I go on Cunard, and I have never felt I have been treated like an animal. Perhaps my standards are too low to be worthy of mention, but I don’t think you should assume what others might do.

You and me both exlondoner . I decided quite a while ago my tastes and standards must be very mundane. We have always been treated with care and respect and as for food, well there are occasions when the menu doesn't suit but luckily, we can go off piste.

I would love to try a luxury line one day just to see what the food is like, but then I'd miss Cunard so we will give that a miss for the time being.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

You and me both exlondoner . I decided quite a while ago my tastes and standards must be very mundane. We have always been treated with care and respect and as for food, well there are occasions when the menu doesn't suit but luckily, we can go off piste.

I would love to try a luxury line one day just to see what the food is like, but then I'd miss Cunard so we will give that a miss for the time being.

Well my standards and tastes are even more mundane. As I am happy with any size cabin. I am intelligent enough to be able to visualise the size from the measurements given. I can visual a standard balcony and according to the sizes quoted can work out if a particular cabin will be bigger or smaller. For preference I like a balcony but will also be O K with ocean view or inside. I enjoy the meals on offer in the Golden Lion, buffet and Britannia restaurant. Happy to visit a port with others , they don’t impact on my enjoyment. Entertainment offerings I am more than happy with. I have no envy of those on luxury lines they would not suit me. If my finances ran to affording such cruises I would just spend more on extra  Cunard cruises and possibly upgrade my cabin at the most. Simple pleasures me. 

• Like 7

As I have mentioned before, have we sailed on the same ship as you all have.

We prefer the same type of accommodations and do appreciate upgrades.

Enjoy the selection of cuisines offered at the various location of the ship.

We see very little to dissatisfies us while on board. After close to 26+ sailings, we always feel at home if it a 7 day or 14 days voyage with the care, food and entertainment. Ports of Calls don't really concern us as we have visited many repeatedly and go for rest and relaxation.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Whilst in no way questioning the service a member got [although if we had asked for butter, we would have got butter] I have to give my opinion on a couple of items.

I must state, as if it's not already known, I am not a fan of QM2 and I don't think Cunard per se is a luxury line but in QG, and that is the method of travel discussed by a couple of board members, you have the best of both worlds, a ship within a ship if so desired.

We know what luxurious travel/'fine dining' and being looked after is all about there isn't a cat in hell's chance we would pay the prices we do if we didn't think we were in a luxurious cabin with access to a great restaurant and a fine, decent sized ship.

The food can be subjective and our return to cruising in '22 did throw up some anomalies  which I mentioned in my musings on that cruise. However, this year we found nothing to remark upon. If the food doesn't suit, you have the luxury [yes, that word] of having whatever you like so if you fancy sausages, egg and chips on a Gala night, go ahead and order it. I'm sorry but if anyone remarks the food overall is mediocre in a QG restaurant them they must have a three star Michelin chef in their own kitchen at home.

The staff are amazing. We have wonderful yet discrete attention and were positively mothered by our butler this July although all our butlers have been great apart from one, over the years..

Are the cabins small? Don't know in comparison as we've not looked at any other cruise line but we wanted space and we got space. Anyone can do the same [if we've not already booked the cabin out 😀].

I repeat, Cunard is not a luxury line but in QG, you have the best of both worlds, a five star experience plus the rest of the ship to enjoy.

• Like 6

36 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

Whilst in no way questioning the service a member got [although if we had asked for butter, we would have got butter] I have to give my opinion on a couple of items.

I must state, as if it's not already known, I am not a fan of QM2 and I don't think Cunard per se is a luxury line but in QG, and that is the method of travel discussed by a couple of board members, you have the best of both worlds, a ship within a ship if so desired.

We know what luxurious travel/'fine dining' and being looked after is all about there isn't a cat in hell's chance we would pay the prices we do if we didn't think we were in a luxurious cabin with access to a great restaurant and a fine, decent sized ship.

The food can be subjective and our return to cruising in '22 did throw up some anomalies  which I mentioned in my musings on that cruise. However, this year we found nothing to remark upon. If the food doesn't suit, you have the luxury [yes, that word] of having whatever you like so if you fancy sausages, egg and chips on a Gala night, go ahead and order it. I'm sorry but if anyone remarks the food overall is mediocre in a QG restaurant them they must have a three star Michelin chef in their own kitchen at home.

The staff are amazing. We have wonderful yet discrete attention and were positively mothered by our butler this July although all our butlers have been great apart from one, over the years..

Are the cabins small? Don't know in comparison as we've not looked at any other cruise line but we wanted space and we got space. Anyone can do the same [if we've not already booked the cabin out 😀].

I repeat, Cunard is not a luxury line but in QG, you have the best of both worlds, a five star experience plus the rest of the ship to enjoy.

Totally agree the service and quality of food in QG on our recent QV was exceptional. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, LargeNegroni said:

Totally agree the service and quality of food in QG on our recent QV was exceptional. 

I have to add our experience is with QV too with the odd QE trip thrown in.

I guess I could call out Cunard for description error when they wax lyrical over their revamped Q1 cabin amenities and when used to an abundance of usb ports on deck seven, to find none in deck  six cabins which gave me an initial non luxurious panic attack as I'd left all our usb adapters at home!   😄

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Victoria2 said:

Well, lo and behold, I have just looked at a few RSS reviews, as they seem to be fêted as a contrast to the poor aspects of Cunard. Now, I know from experience of the Cunard reviews how erratic reviews can be, but still. The average score is slightly lower than the Cunard average, and the reviewers, as on Cunard, are a mixture of those who had a gorgeous time, and those who were very dissatisfied often over pettifogging things, including the food. So I wonder where you might even find a luxury line.

• Like 1

Nothing is perfect on a ship all the time and there will be many who disagree with opinions of others. The trick is to suss out which opinions over all, carry the weight.

For instance, if I read anything about food dissatisfaction on RSS, I would be extremely sceptical and I have yet to step foot on a RSS ship.🙂

Each to their own and if really interested in all these ships, do your homework and read the opinions of the regulars who hopefully, will give a balanced view with the warts and beauty spots of the ships in question.

• Like 2

We've done so-called luxury lines and been underwhelmed (Crystal, Silversea).  All-inclusive just meant mediocre wines for free, and the butlers were indistinguishable from  cabin stewards (we never have any special requests).  The sea day lectures tended towards idiotic.  

Admittedly we've always been in the Grills on Cunard, but that offers the closest to a truly luxurious cruise experience we've found, given everything else available to see or do on board those beautiful ships.  We have a Seabourn cruise coming up in December (totally itinerary driven) and I expect it to be comfortable; but given the relatively low cost of the cruise fares I don't expect it to be luxurious, at least according to my understanding of the word.  

• Like 1

Love QG and DH refuses to even discuss traveling anything other than that on Cunard. Our reality is taking care of 3 grandsons while our daughter works. We can’t be flying from Seattle to London every time we want to cruise and being gone more than 10 days is very difficult. So we need to find cruises that go in and out of west coast ports. For now on Cunard that is only QE and with her  we hit the 10 day limit. Looking at the other lines isn’t about dissatisfaction with Cunard, it’s needing additional options. We spent last night looking at some of the lines and for what we get in QG 5 we would pay double on RSS because I don’t want a 322 sqft cabin. DH looked at the inclusive wine list and denounced it as mediocre so we would still be paying hundreds for wine at dinner. Next week on Oceania we’re taking several bottles from our cellar and will just pay corkage. Options are good. Some days I want to play Mozart and other days I want to sing a song from Disney. Looking forward to the day I get to sail on the QV.

• Like 5

On 9/22/2023 at 1:10 PM, bitob said:

I posted some tips on the crystal boards 

this not luxury cruising. 
regent is luxury

also silversea and seabourn

this is unique and wonderful in its own way

nothing like regular ocean cruising 

Explore every nook and cranny

marvel at the art deco design

go to lectures and shows

have lunch in the pub

if u are in queens grill order off the menu

the planetarium is so so. Once is enough

the library is extraordinary

find the wonderful music and enjoy it

lower expectations about food

@bitob

We have cruised twice on Regent this last year just coming off Splendor last month, while we know Regent are a luxury line we still consider that Queens Grill is the the best dining experience at sea. Although we have sailed on Cunard post Covid this was not in the Grills, we are nonetheless back in Queens Grills on Queen Elizabeth for 2 weeks next month, so hopefully will find out if we still feel that to be the case.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, bitob said:

I think we agree about the food because we both cruise luxury lines where food is really great. By comparison Cunard food is mediocre. I agree as well that these ships are perfect for a crossing. I do no want to disembark with 2900 others in some port

As i said in my previous post i have not sailed in Queens Grills post Covid but are you saying that i will not be able to avail myself next month while in Queens Grills  to lobster, fillet steak, beef wellington and caviar etc etc which i had on Splendor last month? Because when in Queens Grills on Victoria last time i had those very items, or do you, when on Regent have other luxurious items i haven't mentioned or don't know about.

22 minutes ago, seasickphil said:

As i said in my previous post i have not sailed in Queens Grills post Covid but are you saying that i will not be able to avail myself next month while in Queens Grills  to lobster, fillet steak, beef wellington and caviar etc etc which i had on Splendor last month? Because when in Queens Grills on Victoria last time i had those very items, or do you, when on Regent have other luxurious items i haven't mentioned or don't know about.

Last month, a couple adjacent to us in the QG had lobster every night as a starter, so I think you should be OK.

• Like 3

I've just spent the last 5/10 minutes catching up on the Cunard forum and I'm flabbergasted by some of the comments in this thread stating that the food on Cunard (QG) is sub-standard and that the suites are small! I am currently on a Crystal cruise and enjoying it very much (in a Junior Crystal Penthouse Suite). We have also cruised with Regent several times, in either a Grand Suite or Master Suite and on Cunard (QM2 and QE2 in either a Q1 or a Q2). We enjoy all 3 cruise lines, but to say that the accommodations and food on Cunard is below the standard of that on Crystal or Regent is beyond my understanding. Obviously, food is subjective but I think that each of these 3 lines offer wonderful food and would not put one above another. Accommodations are not subjective (at least in terms of size) and the largest suites we have stayed in were on Cunard. Not really sure why I'm bothering to post this, other than that I don't like to see misinformation and would hate anyone to be put off by generalised comments. Rant over!

• Like 8

40 minutes ago, seasickphil said:

In qg you can order anything on one day notice. Have not seen caviar

1 minute ago, Victoria2 said:

You weren't sitting next to our table then! The Head Waiter practically had it waiting for me on our first dinner 🙂

We don't eat caviar, but our friends do and they were with us on one of our Cunard cruises and would concur!

• Like 3

1 minute ago, DaisyUK said:

We don't eat caviar, but our friends do and they were with us on one of our Cunard cruises and would concur!

I don't eat it normally as quite frankly, it's a bit expensive but on Cunard, it's a first and last night tradition for me, and occasional nights in between. Luckily, my tastes are well known and I don't need to pre-order it.

That's Cunard care in the community in action. 😁

• Like 1

1 hour ago, seasickphil said:

You'll be fine. 🙂