Getting Euros onboard

the_dylaness

Greetings, 

We're sailing in 8 days on the Pursuit, Barcelona to Venice. I've been searching the boards to find the answer to this question but have been unsuccessful, so I'll ask here.

All of our shore excursions are privately booked. A few require payment in cash. While we are happy to bring some Euros with us, we wanted to know if it is also possible to purchase some at the purser's desk *AND*.... if we do, must it be purchased in USD or can we charge it to our credit card?

I'd rather not carry $2k equivalent in any currency around, and since we aren't exactly sure how much we need for tips, extras, etc, we don't want to change over too much USD to Euro and then have to also pay the conversion rate again on the way back.

Thank you for any advice.

I know that there are ATMs on board, and when in Europe, I think one has USD, and one has Euros. Would this be of any help? There is a charge for using the machines, and they depend on a good internet signal, I’ve been told, which can be a factor. There are also bank ATMs ashore, which will likely have a better rate/smaller charge. 

Edited by lisiamc
  • Thanks 1

@the_dylaness you need to get a Debit Card with no Foreign Transaction Fees.  They are not easy to find – but some credit unions offer them and Charles Schwab does even if you only open a checking account without a brokerage account.  Charles Schwab also refunds any ATM fees worldwide.  

So we don't worry about bringing Euros with us – if we don't have any left over from the last trip, we look for an ATM at the airport or near our first hotel.  [I do avoid EuroNext ATMs because I have been warned that they charge high fees/have a bad conversion rate – I look for an ATM with the logo of a local bank.  I'm not sure this is actually necessary with Schwab as they will refund the fees and – this is important – I never let the ATM (or any merchant when charging on a credit card) do the conversion to dollars.  US credit cards and debit cards will give you a better conversion rate than any ATM or merchant!]

• Like 2

As of our Nov/Dec '22 cruises on Quest, only dollars were available via the onboard ATMs, the Euro machine was removed. That said, Euros were available for purchase for Dollars at Guest Relations, as were any of the local currencies. (Turns out that I brought Russian Rubles on our 2019 Transpacific. After returning from Petropavlovsk, where I came close to arrest by the Russian/Soviet authorities, Azamara would not exchange them. Not that I'd blame them. Turns out that my famous, greedy San Francisco based bank DID take them back, and I actually made about $1.00 on the deal!) Anyway, take dollars with you, get some Euro's on board, buy what you need with a credit card, or get cash on shore from any ATM machine. Oh, notify your bank that you are traveling and charges may come through.

Thanks all! The credit card situation is covered (Amex Plat charges no foreign fees and I have a SW Visa that is the same, came in handy in France in July since Amex not popular there apparently). I appreciate the wealth of info. I fly out on Friday so not sure I'll be able to find a debit card before then but this is great knowledge for the future.  I have never had a debit card (I don't think they earn points like CCs?) but might consider for next time!

Happy sailing!

51 minutes ago, the_dylaness said:

Thanks all! The credit card situation is covered (Amex Plat charges no foreign fees and I have a SW Visa that is the same, came in handy in France in July since Amex not popular there apparently). I appreciate the wealth of info. I fly out on Friday so not sure I'll be able to find a debit card before then but this is great knowledge for the future.  I have never had a debit card (I don't think they earn points like CCs?) but might consider for next time!

Happy sailing!

Do you have an ATM card from your bank (non-debit)? That’s what we use and our bank reimburses fees.