Burger Station opens

Stickman1990

5 minutes ago, Stickman1990 said:

Actually the cabinet and selection on Seabourn Encore in Seabourn Square would be larger - and they also have the gelato bar to tempt you.

Only problem on Seabourn back in 2018 was we lost interest in dining there when the attendant told my wife when she asked about dietary issues that “dairy free and gluten free were the same weren’t they?” as she happily swapped the labels on the offerings around 

There is also the gelato/crepe bar here, which is open all afternoon.

23 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

There is also the gelato/crepe bar here, which is open all afternoon.

Deck 5 for Crema and Deck 11 for the Gelato bar on Explora 1 - my point was that on Seabourn they’re located together and effectively extend the available selection when in Seabourn Square without having to move between venues 

I understand why Explora has it up by the pool area - it’s just a different approach not necessarily a bad thing 

So lets move on with some more Explora "differences."  The communications onboard, is similar to the communications pre-cruise.  That is to say, if you want to know about various things such as your onboard account, excursions, dining reservations, etc. you must find the appropriate desk/host and make an inquiry.  

Here is an example that happened to us this morning.  We had booked an excursion in Saguenay, that was cancelled.  Faced with all kinds of remaining OBC, we stopped at the tour desk for a friendly chat (the hosts are very friendly).  When we mentioned about trying to book some excursions, they pointed us towards an excursion, tomorrow evening, in Quebec City.  It is a combination walking an culinary tour that we were happy to book.  But, the only way one can even find out that this tour exists is to stop by that tour desk.  It does not show on the excursions listed on the TV, we have no excursion brochures in our suite, and there are no places around the ship where you can simply read about excursions.  In a sense, you must ask to know!   We did suggest that they might want to send excursion information to the suites and gather that this "innovative idea" is under consideration.

It is just one more example of being so low key, that it can (and will) cause frustration among cruisers who want to know the options available.  Another problem is the tendency of this line to hide prices of everything!  You can read about Chef's Kitchen Experiences in the daily program, and the only indication there is a cost is "an exclusive experience fee applies."  You will not find this fee listed anywhere!  (it is 150 Euros pp).  This afternoon we stopped by the "Chef's Kitchen" room and they have posted a short list of some upcoming chef experiences.  At the bottom it says there is a fee and to find out more you must go to the Deck 4 Guest Services desk.  Really?

We inquired about booking a dinner in Anthology for next week.  There is a current price for those dinners, but we were informed that the price may be "adjusted" between now and next week!  I guess knowing the price a few days prior is not reasonable.  They also do not have a menu for this dinner (which costs over $500) at this time.  The Guest Chef does not come aboard until Quebec, and I suppose the powers to be must huddle with the chef to work out the final details.  A very strange way to run a cruise line.  

No question this is a very low-key place where everyone is friendly and helpful...but simply does not have much information about anything happening more than a day or two in the future.  After a week onboard, we have adjusted to how this all works, but we wonder how many other "customers" will have our kind of patience.  This line may do a lot better with first-time cruisers than those of us who have lots of experience with other lines.  

I will end this post on a high note :).  DW and I are really enjoying the cruise, ship, hosts (crew), and most of the cuisine.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Stickman1990 said:

Actually the cabinet and selection on Seabourn Encore in Seabourn Square would be larger - and they also have the gelato bar to tempt you.

Only problem on Seabourn back in 2018 was we lost interest in dining there when the attendant told my wife when she asked about dietary issues that “dairy free and gluten free were the same weren’t they?” as she happily swapped the labels on the offerings around 

I'd forgotten about the gelato bar.  And I -think- they have a menu card that was often off to the side offering some hot items, but I have no recollection what was on it.

I am allergic to coconut and everybody was recommending Grandma's cake in the Square.  I tasted it, and was quickly running to find a washroom to rinse my mouth.  The coconut is buried in the cake, not sprinkled on top, and of course I missed it!  So I understand Kerry's concern.

Terry, was it you that posted on FB a photo of a dinner entre, a piece of fish (seabass?), that had a wonderful coating on top?  I've searched and cannot find it again.

13 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

the only way one can even find out that this tour exists is to stop by that tour desk.  It does not show on the excursions listed on the TV, we have no excursion brochures in our suite, and there are no places around the ship where you can simply read about excursions.  In a sense, you must ask to know! 

Perhaps this is in the back of managements minds for the type of clientele they are really looking for ?

"If You Have to Ask, You Can't Afford It"

"This quote is frequently attributed to J.P. Morgan. Morgan was an American financier who was famous for his business prowess and being rich. Allegedly, he said this quote to another banker who was enquiring about the cost of a yacht."

38 minutes ago, crickette said:

Terry, was it you that posted on FB a photo of a dinner entre, a piece of fish (seabass?), that had a wonderful coating on top?

I don’t think it was me and I can’t recall that particular dish - perhaps it was the person who posted each day over his month onboard 

1 hour ago, morpheusofthesea said:

Perhaps this is in the back of managements minds for the type of clientele they are really looking for ?

"If You Have to Ask, You Can't Afford It"

"This quote is frequently attributed to J.P. Morgan. Morgan was an American financier who was famous for his business prowess and being rich. Allegedly, he said this quote to another banker who was enquiring about the cost of a yacht."

Lol.  But when it comes to excursions you cannot even consider a tour with which you are completely unaware.  

24 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Lol.  But when it comes to excursions you cannot even consider a tour with which you are completely unaware.  

Years ago when we signed up for 'bus' tours, we would 'run into' families that EJ is probably looking to 'win over'.  We were on the bus with Grandma and Grandpa (who were footing the bills) while daughter and SIL with grandkids got into a stretch Limousine. Perhaps EJ has this special, unadvertised, subject to market prices at the moment type private tours where guests are embarrassed to ask prices out of fear of 'looking like' not being able to afford the cruise to begin with?

P.S. We only booked one 'bus' tour with EJ and plan on it being the only one we will be getting off the ship for. From reports if this tour is popular or unpopular with the guests on board, EJ will be employing the old 'bait and switch' tactic and we will sheepishly be asking how much for the private limo tour when they cancel the bus one.

Edited by morpheusofthesea

1 hour ago, Stickman1990 said:

I don’t think it was me and I can’t recall that particular dish - perhaps it was the person who posted each day over his month onboard 

Yes, I know who you mean.  I think it was even before they got onboard.

2 hours ago, morpheusofthesea said:

P.S. We only booked one 'bus' tour with EJ and plan on it being the only one we will be getting off the ship for. From reports if this tour is popular or unpopular with the guests on board, EJ will be employing the old 'bait and switch' tactic and we will sheepishly be asking how much for the private limo tour when they cancel the bus one.

We only booked one bus tour thru EJ. I’ve wanted to see the Bay of Fundy for literally 60 years. Every Canada trip I took before skipped the Bay of Fundy. The tour description was totally undersold, both in tour scope and inclusions. An example. We were told the tour would conclude with a cup of chowder at a famous Bay restaurant. The stop included a BOWL of seafood chowder, a whole lobster roll, a homemade cookie and a canned drink. All at 4pm before dinner. 😀. Almost spoiled Sakura that night. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Hlitner said:

I cannot help but compare EJ to Seabourn (we just got off a 32 day SB cruise, last month).  Seabourn also closes the Colonnade (lido) at 2.  The difference is that they have a pool grill that is open until 4.  We previously posted that not having a pool grill was a mistake and stand by our assessment.

Plus Seabourn’s pool grill, the Patio, isn’t only burgers. It has freshly grilled fish, a special of the day, sandwiches, a salad bar, an ice cream station and there’s a fully stocked bar where you can also get delicious frozen drinks… all while relaxing in the open air and watching the ocean go by 😃 

It reads like there’s a lot to like about Explora, and things to fix that sound quite easily fixable to me. The key question is - is Management open to feedback? Time will tell.

Edited by florisdekort
  • Like 2

38 minutes ago, florisdekort said:

Plus Seabourn’s pool grill, the Patio, isn’t only burgers. It has freshly grilled fish, a special of the day, sandwiches, a salad bar, an ice cream station and there’s a fully stocked bar where you can also get delicious frozen drinks… 

The burger station offers a good range of dishes as well

I’m not sure what the status is on drinks after 2pm but the pool bar isn’t too far away - as is the gelato and crepe place 

IMG_4697.thumb.jpeg.033687ff174e970bc02fa4c27d0bc513.jpeg

IMG_4698.thumb.jpeg.cd0d9aa089f593a635677e841a19a0c3.jpeg

IMG_4699.thumb.jpeg.df21e01fb1422b7658955619c37f74d3.jpeg

IMG_4700.thumb.jpeg.f7237035a783b1328b6f0c82d623f68f.jpeg

Edited by Stickman1990

54 minutes ago, kelleherdl said:

We only booked one bus tour thru EJ. I’ve wanted to see the Bay of Fundy for literally 60 years. Every Canada trip I took before skipped the Bay of Fundy. The tour description was totally undersold, both in tour scope and inclusions

Sounds good - we just walked around town. At least you weren’t on the Photography excursion where the bus broke down 😉

What was the cost of the excursion? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stickman1990 said:

Sounds good - we just walked around town. At least you weren’t on the Photography excursion where the bus broke down 😉

What was the cost of the excursion? 

We actually walked from the ship over to the Reversing Waterfall area (not waterfalls but really rapids) to watch at high tide.  Total cost of OUR tour was zero :).  The walk (from the port was slightly over 2 miles (each way) with much of it along a well marked sidewalk.  It was our 2nd or 3rd visit to St Johns, but we had never previously spent our time looking at the tides.  Having done it we thought it was somewhat akin to watching the grass grow :).  Another couple (from Germany) also did the walk and had the same reaction.  If you wait long enough you can actually see the direction of the water flow reverse!  WOW!  🙂

Hank

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

If you wait long enough you can actually see the direction of the water flow reverse!  WOW!  🙂

Thanks - sounds like we made the right choice of a walk around town dodging the down and outs in the parks and returning to the ship for more oysters and lobster in Emporium 😉

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ljsanantonio said:

I like the “gelato” bar as it has great accompaniments to the ice cream and sorbet they offer. Was disappointed there is no gelato. Seriously—no Italian gelato?😂

My understanding is that all the gelato and sorbet is made onboard.  

6 hours ago, ljsanantonio said:

I like the “gelato” bar as it has great accompaniments to the ice cream and sorbet they offer. Was disappointed there is no gelato. Seriously—no Italian gelato?😂

A "gelato bar" without gelato.  Just another marketing vs reality data point.

A lot of them, eh?

7 minutes ago, Critically Cruising said:

A "gelato bar" without gelato.  Just another marketing vs reality data point.

A lot of them, eh?

I am eager to getting on board tomorrow and having a treat at the gelato bar. I am certain i will love it whatever it is

• Like 4

4 hours ago, PaulMCO said:

@Hlitner Hank  what are the hours of Crema do they stay open after dinner for a late night coffee.  That is one thing I love about Seabourn.

Crema closes at 6PM. All restaurants and bars can serve coffees.

Edited by kelleherdl