MEATLOAF? I know not A Cruise Ship Entree....How Often Do You Make It At Home?

BklynBoy8

DW loves meatloaf and I make it for her every 7 to 10 days.

Basic recipe without bells and whistles w fresh meat and fresh vegetables and garden herbs that make it delicious.

Do you make meat loafs at home? How often would you share you make it...

Would you share if possible, your twist......

Meatloaf is one of the things I am prohibited from making by my husband (casseroles being another), but every now and then I get hungry for it and make it just for myself, particularly if he's away traveling. When we got married, it was in the vows, no meatloaf and no casseroles, since his mother had made those things to death when he was growing up, and he never wanted to eat them again.

My preference is to use a mix of ground meats and top it with chili sauce before cooking. 

We make it about once every couple of years or so. It's usually because it's been mentioned on an American TV show being shown. It reminds us of that fantastic meatloaf sandwich we bought from a deli in Frederick (Maryland).We ate it in the car park of the Antietam Battle site on our first visit to that National Park. 

And now you've mentioned it, I'll probably have to make it soon. 

I make meatloaf about twice a month. My husband used to not eat it because his mother's recipe was bland. I use hamburger meat, 1 egg, Italian bread crumbs, lots of onions, worcestershire sauce, various herbs, ketchup (small amount). Then I add either sweet chili sauce or barbeque sauce.  Not bland at all, and my husband  loves it! 

On 10/4/2023 at 11:40 PM, GeorgiaGrandma 1 said:

I make meatloaf about twice a month. My husband used to not eat it because his mother's recipe was bland. I use hamburger meat, 1 egg, Italian bread crumbs, lots of onions, worcestershire sauce, various herbs, ketchup (small amount). Then I add either sweet chili sauce or barbeque sauce.  Not bland at all, and my husband  loves it! 

sounds close to our recipe sans the chil/bbq.

we might have it once a month, usually when I need a break from cooking and DH cooks.  He actually makes a better one than me.  sometimes he has added applesauce to the mix or two whole hard boiled eggs.  I prefer his original recipe.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

0 times a year. 

my mum might make it once a year. 

I dislike meatloaf and I do 99% of the cooking, so it’s never in my menu planning. If I was at someone’s home and they served it, I would eat it with a polite smile.

I also do not care for meatballs and kofta and everything in between - it’s mostly a texture thing but also a flavour thing, could not tell you the last time I had spaghetti and meatballs, but a good bolognese I could have anytime! 

19 hours ago, Celandine said:

0 times a year. 

my mum might make it once a year. 

I dislike meatloaf and I do 99% of the cooking, so it’s never in my menu planning. If I was at someone’s home and they served it, I would eat it with a polite smile.

I also do not care for meatballs and kofta and everything in between - it’s mostly a texture thing but also a flavour thing, could not tell you the last time I had spaghetti and meatballs, but a good bolognese I could have anytime! 

There is such a variety of meatloaf recipes, some with very little flavor, some with a lot of onion and garlic, some with brown gravy, many with ketchup or bbq sauce (my least favorite) some with different meat like a combo with pork and/or veal.  

however, I know what you mean with texture.  I feel the same way about most seafood.

Bolognese!?! now you're talkin my language!

On 4/2/2024 at 3:19 PM, Seamus6 said:

There is such a variety of meatloaf recipes, some with very little flavor, some with a lot of onion and garlic, some with brown gravy, many with ketchup or bbq sauce (my least favorite) some with different meat like a combo with pork and/or veal.  

however, I know what you mean with texture.  I feel the same way about most seafood.

Bolognese!?! now you're talkin my language!

Yes, perhaps I should add that I have yet to find a recipe that I like! 

texture can make such a difference with food, I tend to avoid Jello as I always find the hard rubbery bit 🤢 just the thought of that can turn my stomach! Lol

On 4/3/2024 at 10:01 PM, Celandine said:

Yes, perhaps I should add that I have yet to find a recipe that I like! 

This to me is the most important part.  Respect!  I love that you have tried...

• 3 weeks later...