Onboard Explora 1 (Sept 25- Oct 13) with Hank

Hlitner

1 hour ago, kidless said:

Very true! Especially since when agents were first selling the product they made promises that EJ did not fulfill. For example, many were led to believe the experience would be like YC on steroids. For example, butlers yet only the residence staterooms have butlers. All dining venues are included yet two have a charge and two more require a reservation with only one reservation allowed. 

add all the extra's for drinks free in YC and an onerous wine list 

Just to be clear, on this thread I am talking about the here and now on the ship.  We are sticking to facts. So, for example, when I say that the only scheduled activity we had this morning was a lecture on photography, that is fact.  There are also the usual fitness stuff.  The next activity is “Let’s get Quizzical” at 12:15.  In the afternoon they have something called Artistery Beyond Boundries at 2:30.

For DW and I, this is fine since we are not activity people.  But many cruisers would be bored.

Hank

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Stickman1990 said:

The cooking classes they run certainly do and you get to eat the dish you prepare - but I didn’t think of that as a restaurant

I never saw any promotion or advertising of Chefs Kitchen for dining

We just forgot about Anthology once we saw the price and what was on offer at the included restaurants 

As I’m sure you know some other luxury lines do charge for speciality restaurants - one from the first visit and another for those after an initial entitlement - supposedly to govern demand and restaurant hogging 

My statement on charges for this restaurant and the other were based on promises made at the time of booking. All eating venues were included. Their own website lists Chef’s Kitchen as a dining venue. We were also told room service we would be able to get a wide selection of meals for dining in the room. Not the limited menu present now. No complaints yet just noticed a difference in what was promised and what is actually applied. 

• Like 2

I am starting to think this line should attract those seeking culinary delights.  Today, at lunch we could choose from the Emporium, Sakura or the Med Yacht Club.  We decided to try Sakura where lunch is about sushi, sashimi, etc.  We are not big sushi eaters, but Sakura could make me a convert.  Everything we ate was fantastic.  The tuna was very high grade and melted in my mouth.  Our waiter was concerned we had not eaten enough and forced us to share a bento box that was superb. They had yellowfin that tasted like it just came out of the sea.

As we were returning to our loungers at the indoor pool, we had to pass through the Emporium where I spotted a large display of raw oysters on the half shell.  Got 4 of those and they were delicious.

Now we have another problem because our loungers are near the gelato place where they have 5 gelatos and 5 sorbets. OMG!  I will not even look at their crepe menu.

Hank

• Like 9
  • Haha 3

17 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

I am starting to think this line should attract those seeking culinary delights.  Today, at lunch we could choose from the Emporium, Sakura or the Med Yacht Club.  We decided to try Sakura where lunch is about sushi, sashimi, etc.  We are not big sushi eaters, but Sakura could make me a convert.  Everything we ate was fantastic.  The tuna was very high grade and melted in my mouth.  Our waiter was concerned we had not eaten enough and forced us to share a bento box that was superb. They had yellowfin that tasted like it just came out of the sea.

As we were returning to our loungers at the indoor pool, we had to pass through the Emporium where I spotted a large display of raw oysters on the half shell.  Got 4 of those and they were delicious.

Now we have another problem because our loungers are near the gelato place where they have 5 gelatos and 5 sorbets. OMG!  I will not even look at their crepe menu.

Hank

Sounds like a perfect day!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Hank

❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

2 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Hank

Yum, don't look but please post! 😍

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Mr Luxury said:

This reminds me of when the Chairman of VW decided that he wanted to build a car that was luxurious and better made than a BMW or a Mercedes.

They over engineered the car and it was a lovely car. The car was called the Phaeton.

I have a friend who ran an independent European car repair shop.  He had a customer with a Phaeton who put his son through college...

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Hlitner said:

The fresh pastries looked good and my croissant was very good, although I prefer more butter within the bread.

That deficiency is the difference between a French croissant and Costco.  Like the Accuweather Air Quality Index, it goes immediately from Excellent to Poor...

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Funny thing is that when we had drinks at the large Lobby Bar, the

cocktail napkins were printed with the MSC logo.

I believe this is not completely true. The new style of onboard items like napkins and wooden swizzle sticks is the EJ lotus with MSC logo in the center. These were brand new on the previous cruise. It is very clear from the MSC logo on the bow, the earlier thoughts about no co-branding are not true going forward. 

Edited by kelleherdl
  • Like 1

This is a sea day, but there are very few “activities” on the ship.  This morning there is a lecture on travel photography.  There is supposed to be a 2 1/2 hour Chefs Kitchen class on making pasta.  That venue can only hold 12 passengers and the cost is 150 Euros.  Nothing in the daily schedule mentions the cost although an asterisk indicates there is a fee.  The chef cancelled the class because sea conditions are too rough to be work with knives and hot water.  

Something we are noticing is that quite a few things involve big fees, but finding out the cost is not always easy.  They have added some culinary tours (in the ports), and they sound amazing until one learns that the cost can be 600+ Euros per person.

I did the pasta class on the last cruise. Chef David is great. He was very clear that classes will be cancelled when sea conditions make knife work by amateurs a risk. We did do our own ingredient chopping. We made a ravioli and a tortellini. I took the course to minimize my reluctance to make my own pasta at home. Chef David was very much into helping us to do these recipes at home. He even commented that we need no more than the KitchenAide pasta attachment to make great pasta, as it’s what he uses in his own home kitchen.

Before I turn in for the night, I decided to post something about dinner (tonight).  Although we had a fantastic lunch at Sakura (posted earlier) we decided to try and get in for dinner (without a reservation).  The dinner menu is completely different than lunch (other than the Sushi bar items) and Sakura is definitely the most popular dining venue on the ship.  At 7:30, after being fortified with a few adult beverages we walked up to the host at Sakura and ask if they were accepting walk-ins.  We were immediately seated near the open kitchen (these would normally be considered less desirable tables) which was perfect since I wanted to observe the chefs.  

We started off with a shared gyoza (pot stickers) platter.  I also ordered a soft shell crab tempura starter and DW ordered a fried langostino starter.  By the time we finished that food, we were both stuffed and very happy.  My main was 3 New Zealand lamb chops (rack of lamb) that were smoked and presented with an excellent teriyaki-type sauce.  The lamb truly melted in my mouth and was as good as any lamb chops I have ever eaten...anywhere! 

By the time we had some dessert, DW and I were blown away by the quality of our dinner.  She did not disagree when I said it was within the top 5 cruise ship dinners, we have ever had...and we have had well over 1400.  Other posters have said good things about Sakura, and we now join the fray.  We look forward to returning on Sunday (when we have reservations) and a few other times (if we can get a table as walk ins).  

Late this afternoon we finally called this a "ghost ship" because of such a small number of passengers.  Depending on which staff you ask, we have somewhere between 200 and 240 and, at times, it is hard to find more than 100.  A senior staffer told me they did not expect to have a big crowd until they get to Miami (for their Caribbean cruises).  DW and I did spend nearly the entire day relaxing and reading at the indoor pool, where there were never more than 10 other passengers.  Unreal!

All is not perfect.  There are supply problems with the rare item of soda pop.  No ginger ale, no Diet Coke.  There is no Cranberry Juice (DW has them making her Cosmos with pomegranate.  How on earth can they spend a full day in NYC and not be able to restock these basic items.  There apparently is also no Harveys Bristol Cream (or any other cream sherry).  

Today, the seas have been a bit rough (3-4 meters) for some folks and we heard of a few passengers who were not handling the seas in a good way.  But most of the passengers are well seasoned cruisers and simply roll with the waves and have another drink :).  Service, in all venues, has been excellent.  

I wanted to offer a rebuttal to someone's negative comment about 10 days ago.  This poster made a big deal out of 3 small shelves, in their suite, which could not be easily used for storage because there were items on these shelves.  It turns out these are 3 shelves, that each have a work of art, to simply add to the decor of the suite.  They are not intended for storage.  In our suite, the 3-art works are quite nice (the kind of things we would purchase at an art festival).  If we were to complain about anything in our suite (and we are NOT complaining) the night lights (which are triggered by motion sensors) are too sensitive and can turn on when not wanted.  Not a big deal (also a complaint on some new Princess ships).  I would also warn future cruisers that laundry is expensive (there are no laundry by the bag specials).   Let's be blunt.  Folks will spend big bucks to go on a luxury ship and then be unhappy about paying $10 to launder a single item.  There are laundramats for those that want to do their own laundry, and then there are the heavy packers (like me) who simply bring enough clothes, so we do not need to deal with laundry.  

We met the captain (Diego Michelozzi) this evening and he seems to be a down to earth charming gentleman.  I believe he came aboard in NYC.  I also wanted to mention that we have not seen a single passenger or crew member (host) wearing a mask.  And regarding dress codes, smart casual is the norm with very few men wearing jackets.  

Hank

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Hlitner said:

Other posters have said good things about Sakura, and we now join the fray. 

Our favourite restaurant as well - we need T Shirts printed with “I Love Sakura” on them

My benchmark is the Nobu based Umi Uma on Crystal and the variety and quality of dishes at Sakura is ahead of that - plus Sakura is open for lunch

They are onto a winner with Sakura

4 hours ago, Fissues said:

Welcome to Boston!

Yep, just pulled into Black Falcon.  For us, we will probably just take a walk and stop at Yankee Lobster for great lobster rolls.  Many of the crew cannot go ashore because they are so new to ships that they do not have their necessary Seaman’s Books needed for shore time in the US.  

DW used the word “creepy” ti describe this cruise.  At times, there is not a passenger ti be seen.  I had cappuccino at Crema earlier and was the only customer other than a couple of Senior staff.  Having breakfast in the Emporium, and looking from my table can see 8 other passengers.  

EJ has tried to create an experience that is more akin to a resort, than a cruise.  I wonder if they have taken that too far.  I think of Seabourn and their “Caviar in the Surf,”. Block Party , etc.  This line lacks what I would call “cruise soul” which some will love and others will dislike.  This concept was best expressed by the “Experience Manager” who explains their is no Cruise Director because EJ does not “direct cruises.”

Hank

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Before I turn in for the night, I decided to post something about dinner (tonight).  Although we had a fantastic lunch at Sakura (posted earlier) we decided to try and get in for dinner (without a reservation).  The dinner menu is completely different than lunch (other than the Sushi bar items) and Sakura is definitely the most popular dining venue on the ship.  At 7:30, after being fortified with a few adult beverages we walked up to the host at Sakura and ask if they were accepting walk-ins.  We were immediately seated near the open kitchen (these would normally be considered less desirable tables) which was perfect since I wanted to observe the chefs.  

We started off with a shared gyoza (pot stickers) platter.  I also ordered a soft shell crab tempura starter and DW ordered a fried langostino starter.  By the time we finished that food, we were both stuffed and very happy.  My main was 3 New Zealand lamb chops (rack of lamb) that were smoked and presented with an excellent teriyaki-type sauce.  The lamb truly melted in my mouth and was as good as any lamb chops I have ever eaten...anywhere! 

By the time we had some dessert, DW and I were blown away by the quality of our dinner.  She did not disagree when I said it was within the top 5 cruise ship dinners, we have ever had...and we have had well over 1400.  Other posters have said good things about Sakura, and we now join the fray.  We look forward to returning on Sunday (when we have reservations) and a few other times (if we can get a table as walk ins).  

Late this afternoon we finally called this a "ghost ship" because of such a small number of passengers.  Depending on which staff you ask, we have somewhere between 200 and 240 and, at times, it is hard to find more than 100.  A senior staffer told me they did not expect to have a big crowd until they get to Miami (for their Caribbean cruises).  DW and I did spend nearly the entire day relaxing and reading at the indoor pool, where there were never more than 10 other passengers.  Unreal!

All is not perfect.  There are supply problems with the rare item of soda pop.  No ginger ale, no Diet Coke.  There is no Cranberry Juice (DW has them making her Cosmos with pomegranate.  How on earth can they spend a full day in NYC and not be able to restock these basic items.  There apparently is also no Harveys Bristol Cream (or any other cream sherry).  

Today, the seas have been a bit rough (3-4 meters) for some folks and we heard of a few passengers who were not handling the seas in a good way.  But most of the passengers are well seasoned cruisers and simply roll with the waves and have another drink :).  Service, in all venues, has been excellent.  

I wanted to offer a rebuttal to someone's negative comment about 10 days ago.  This poster made a big deal out of 3 small shelves, in their suite, which could not be easily used for storage because there were items on these shelves.  It turns out these are 3 shelves, that each have a work of art, to simply add to the decor of the suite.  They are not intended for storage.  In our suite, the 3-art works are quite nice (the kind of things we would purchase at an art festival).  If we were to complain about anything in our suite (and we are NOT complaining) the night lights (which are triggered by motion sensors) are too sensitive and can turn on when not wanted.  Not a big deal (also a complaint on some new Princess ships).  I would also warn future cruisers that laundry is expensive (there are no laundry by the bag specials).   Let's be blunt.  Folks will spend big bucks to go on a luxury ship and then be unhappy about paying $10 to launder a single item.  There are laundramats for those that want to do their own laundry, and then there are the heavy packers (like me) who simply bring enough clothes, so we do not need to deal with laundry.  

We met the captain (Diego Michelozzi) this evening and he seems to be a down to earth charming gentleman.  I believe he came aboard in NYC.  I also wanted to mention that we have not seen a single passenger or crew member (host) wearing a mask.  And regarding dress codes, smart casual is the norm with very few men wearing jackets.  

Hank

i think in every port they can try and find diet coke and cranberry ...

14 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

"EJ has tried to create an experience that is more akin to a resort, than a cruise.  I wonder if they have taken that too far."

This is the most interesting observation if have read about cruising with Explora. Thank you, sir.

12 minutes ago, vistaman said:

i think in every port they can try and find diet coke and cranberry ...

For me, today will be sort of a test.  The shortages, such as with Diet Coke, ginger ale, Cranberry Juice, Perrier, Pelegríno, etc. is the kind of thing that happens on many ships.  But at this price point, there should be no shortages after a long port day in Boston, where getting provisions is not difficult.

I have to smile when I recall being on a Seabourn cruise that ran out of Diet Coke.  A bar tender said to me, “we run out of things like Coke, but we never run out of caviar.  That might sum up the attitude on luxury lines.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Enjoying your trip report.

Your description of the ship as modern, neutral decor with floor to ceiling windows is good to know. I hate being on a ship that reminds me of a Vegas or old country club decor. I like being able to see the sky and sea  and know I am on a ship, not some draped , low ceiling space where they serve food. 

Glad you are having  great meals in various venues.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

I have to smile when I recall being on a Seabourn cruise that ran out of Diet Coke.  A bar tender said to me, “we run out of things like Coke, but we never run out of caviar.  That might sum up the attitude on luxury lines.

Depending on how many of the cabin mini fridges were stocked in NYC before you boarded there is likely plenty of Diet (Zero) Coke on board. We had four in our fridge that we shared with friends. We also had two Fever Frees in the fridge as a stockpile once the bars ran out. 😀. There was never a shortage of Moët .

Just now, Azulann said:

Enjoying your trip report.

Your description of the ship as modern, neutral decor with floor to ceiling windows is good to know. I hate being on a ship that reminds me of a Vegas or old country club decor. I like being able to see the sky and sea  and know I am on a ship, not some draped , low ceiling space where they serve food. 

Glad you are having  great meals in various venues.

Every dining venue has window views of the ocean. NO public space, other than the Journeys Lounge is devoid of an ocean view.  Wonderful. Even the shops have great windows.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, kelleherdl said:

Every dining venue has window views of the ocean. NO public space, other than the Journeys Lounge is devoid of an ocean view.  Wonderful. Even the shops have great windows.

I having been sailing on Viking Ocean for this very reason. Now I can add  another cruise line to consider in the future. 

• Like 2