Onboard Explora 1 (Sept 25- Oct 13) with Hank

Hlitner

I read that some of them look after 26 separate facebook pages all extolling the virtues of MSC related products.  Must be exhausting and you need all these very reduced price cruises to recover

• Haha 2

Yes, we got the goodie bag with the really high-end ship model (which weighs a ton) and a classy souvenir Naming Ceremony book (coffee table quality).  

Not sure if the overnight guests got free bottles of Champagne, but they were treated very well.  

A few fellow passengers asked if we would book another EJ cruise.  Our final answer is absolutely assuming we found a decent itinerary and the price point is competitive with other luxury lines.  EJ is certainly the line for foodies/gourmets.  If they ever solve their communication issues they could set a new standard for high end cruise lines.

They should have their 6 ships in operation by 2028.

Hank

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Yes, we got the goodie bag with the really high-end ship model (which weighs a ton) and a classy souvenir Naming Ceremony book (coffee table quality).  

Not sure if the overnight guests got free bottles of Champagne, but they were treated very well.  

A few fellow passengers asked if we would book another EJ cruise.  Our final answer is absolutely assuming we found a decent itinerary and the price point is competitive with other luxury lines.  EJ is certainly the line for foodies/gourmets.  If they ever solve their communication issues they could set a new standard for high end cruise lines.

They should have their 6 ships in operation by 2028.

Hank

ABSOLUTELY TOTALLY AGREE WITH HANK Also glad you got the goody bag

Having been home now for less than 24 hours my reflections are wonderful  i feel the joy and happiness from a most wonderful cruise

The feelings of remembrances are heartful and uplifting a truly great trip

• Like 1

My reaction would have been different. Haven’t been on Explora, but despite a very nice cruise on Ponant, the feeling that Anglophones are second class has put me off that cruise line (except for Smithsonian co-marketed cruises, which isn’t available to solve Explora’s poor passenger service issues). 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

My reaction would have been different. Haven’t been on Explora, but despite a very nice cruise on Ponant, the feeling that Anglophones are second class has put me off that cruise line (except for Smithsonian co-marketed cruises, which isn’t available to solve Explora’s poor passenger service issues). 

Speaking from a lot of experience of both having just gotten off the ship yesterday and ftom over 100 cruises from various lines hp8ng back to 1980 you may find that after you are actually on board the blemishes may still be present however  they do not detract from the beauty of the ship experience 

• Like 1

Walter is correct. First few days on Explora the problems really annoyed me. By the second week I began to look past what are really minor issues. By the third week I treated the issues as a joke. Now I wish I were back on board. 
We will be on Symphony for sixty days this winter thanks to the EI program. As much as we always loved Old Crystal and expect New Crystal will be just as good it cannot compare with all the advantages of Explora or Silversea. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Whipsnade said:

Walter is correct. First few days on Explora the problems really annoyed me. By the second week I began to look past what are really minor issues. By the third week I treated the issues as a joke. Now I wish I were back on board. 
We will be on Symphony for sixty days this winter thanks to the EI program. As much as we always loved Old Crystal and expect New Crystal will be just as good it cannot compare with all the advantages of Explora or Silversea. 

Thanks so much, Agreed  In January we will sail on Oceania Vista also a new ship and have high hopes. Their food reviews are excellent on the Vista however I think it is impossible to match the high marks on EJ food and food service

Be well enjoy Thank you 

47 minutes ago, Whipsnade said:

I disagree. I was on Explora in August and Symphony in September; SS earlier in the year. Enrichment, entertainment and service on NC wins hands down. New closets in the smaller staterooms do not. I find NW and EJ food superior to SS.

36 minutes ago, TER777 said:

I disagree. I was on Explora in August and Symphony in September; SS earlier in the year. Enrichment, entertainment and service on NC wins hands down. New closets in the smaller staterooms do not. I find NW and EJ food superior to SS.

Forgot to say the included wines and cognacs were of insufficient quality on EJ. NC and SS were fine. 

1 hour ago, TER777 said:

I disagree. I was on Explora in August and Symphony in September; SS earlier in the year. Enrichment, entertainment and service on NC wins hands down..…... I find NW and EJ food superior to SS.

I haven’t sailed new Crystal (NC) yet but will in 2024 but I have sailed Explora and Silversea recently so want to give my comments on entertainment and enrichment (and a few other areas) based on my experience with old Crystal which I believe NC mirrors in many areas (with enhanced accomodation in many cases)

I’d hard for someone to be under the impression there is a dearth of entertainment and enrichment on Explora as that would simply be incorrect

First Explora has some of the exact same acts and enrichment professionals as Crystal eg the McDonald Brothers and one of the great iphone and android social media/photography tutor who has lectured on Crystal. Sure they don’t have the same large production cast and number of band members - but those they do have are of equal skill and professionalism and certainly pleasant and entertaining to listen to. How many times does one need to see the same production shows? eg Broadway and Icons on Crystal (and I used to love Icons but it was first introduced back in 2018 I think or possibly even earlier so I’ve seen it sufficient times now) - they’re long over due for a change. I loved that the artists performed songs from recent artists including Adele, Taylor Swift and Amy Whinehouse as well as the standard styles with a classically trained soprano

Oh they also had Broadway star Rachel York onboard as one of the headline guest artists - another regular on Crystal 

I heard several speakers on Explora who were very knowledgeable and entertaining on their topics - and they were fresh and not giving the same old lectures. We enjoyed hearing from the Danish pilots who guided us around Greenland for example - not professional speakers but they delivered an enthralling lecture (particularly topical given an expedition ship had been beached in Greenland the week beforehand), then there was Canadian Astro Physicist who did destination and astrology lectures 

The theatre on Explora is a great approach and well equipped with audio and visual techonology. The open cabaret style format works well for us with a couple of sets and bar service throughout the performance. Guests are free to come and go and I was even surprised that I didn’t find those videoing of taking photos annoying (which they are on the darkened theatre and sight lines on Crystal and other lines) - and it was nice to have the dance floor there for those who felt inclined to dance along to the acts 

No doubt Crystal has more enrichment topics eg Art at Sea and Ambassador Hosts for those who love dancing but how much enrichment does one actually need? I couldn’t get to everything I wanted to attend on Explora and some I didn’t want to bother with eg the Fitness Centre - for me and my wife there were more than enough on offer

They had Trivia on sea days - and the format, with 3 rounds of 10 questions, was fun - and challenging

I’m already on the record complementing Explora on their dining options and in many areas they excel - our group of experienced Crystal cruisers felt that Sakura offered a better quality and variety than Umi Uma - now that takes some doing. With Marble steakhouse, Fil Rouge and Med Yacht Club not to mention Emporium and it’s relatively unique concept with many interesting twists such as fresh French Oysters on offer throughout the cruise as well as Foie Gras and Filet steak regularly on offer at the grill station they have an excellent offering. I look forward to sampling Crystal’s updated menus and dining options next year 

I haven’t had as much experience on Silversea but we did enjoy our cruise with them earlier this year on Silver Muse - and will return for a month with them in 2024 - we found several dining options there that we really enjoyed eg Indochine and Spaccanapoli pizza and they are now among our favourites at sea. They had the old style entertainment with the outsourced ensemble, which we enjoyed, at that stage but we look forward to hearing the enhanced offering that Scott Douglas (ex Crystal entertainment team) is putting together for Silversea. Again I heard some acts onboard Silversea who were regulars on Crystal eg Steve Steven’s the comedian 

I’m not sure there too many of the guest entertainers who are exclusive to any one line - it’s the nature of their business that they are booked and appear on multiple lines 

So I hope these comments help balance out some of the claims about what’s on offer on Explora versus other lines - we were certainly pleasantly surprised by what we experienced on Explora. I don’t think it’s a case of a binary winners and losers judgement - there are differences and some you’ll like and some you won’t - the nice thing is that it’s done to a guests choice which they experience doing their cruise 

I guess everyone will make their choices on which lines they frequent based on what’s important to them - for us we’re now very comfortable with several lines and will choose more and more based on the itineraries given we know we’re going to have a great time on the multiple lines we’ve chosen. I don’t think I’ll ever limit myself to one line now - why would I when there is so much choice out there and even more coming on stream in the next few years 

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, TER777 said:

Forgot to say the included wines and cognacs were of insufficient quality on EJ. NC and SS were fine. 

We found the range and quality of the included wines fine for us - probably less range than some lines offer but more than enough for us to choose from 

IMG_4120.thumb.jpeg.c59e43ec2c2ecccd680c27aff5c32ecf.jpeg

We don’t drink Cognac so can’t comment on that but our friends who do seemed happy enough with the choice they had 

We do drink Gin though and there was a good range of included gins 

This isn’t all of them on offer but shows some of the included ones

IMG_0763.thumb.jpeg.abbee439d56dbb021a69c26c0d6b551c.jpeg

I agree with most of Stickman’s comments. We don’t do shows so we really don’t care. I don’t consume alcohol so that is a non issue for us. We felt lecturers on Explora were pretty poor compared to Crystal. 
We were loyal Crystals for 25 years. But now we like the idea of sharing our cruise time with Crystal, Silversea and Explora. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Stickman1990 said:

I haven’t sailed new Crystal (NC) yet but will in 2024 but I have sailed Explora and Silversea recently so want to give my comments on entertainment and enrichment (and a few other areas) based on my experience with old Crystal which I believe NC mirrors in many areas (with enhanced accomodation in many cases)

I’d hard for someone to be under the impression there is a dearth of entertainment and enrichment on Explora as that would simply be incorrect

First Explora has some of the exact same acts and enrichment professionals as Crystal eg the McDonald Brothers and one of the great iphone and android social media/photography tutor who has lectured on Crystal. Sure they don’t have the same large production cast and number of band members - but those they do have are of equal skill and professionalism and certainly pleasant and entertaining to listen to. How many times does one need to see the same production shows? eg Broadway and Icons on Crystal (and I used to love Icons but it was first introduced back in 2018 I think or possibly even earlier so I’ve seen it sufficient times now) - they’re long over due for a change. I loved that the artists performed songs from recent artists including Adele, Taylor Swift and Amy Whinehouse as well as the standard styles with a classically trained soprano

Oh they also had Broadway star Rachel York onboard as one of the headline guest artists - another regular on Crystal 

I heard several speakers on Explora who were very knowledgeable and entertaining on their topics - and they were fresh and not giving the same old lectures. We enjoyed hearing from the Danish pilots who guided us around Greenland for example - not professional speakers but they delivered an enthralling lecture (particularly topical given an expedition ship had been beached in Greenland the week beforehand), then there was Canadian Astro Physicist who did destination and astrology lectures 

The theatre on Explora is a great approach and well equipped with audio and visual techonology. The open cabaret style format works well for us with a couple of sets and bar service throughout the performance. Guests are free to come and go and I was even surprised that I didn’t find those videoing of taking photos annoying (which they are on the darkened theatre and sight lines on Crystal and other lines) - and it was nice to have the dance floor there for those who felt inclined to dance along to the acts 

No doubt Crystal has more enrichment topics eg Art at Sea and Ambassador Hosts for those who love dancing but how much enrichment does one actually need? I couldn’t get to everything I wanted to attend on Explora and some I didn’t want to bother with eg the Fitness Centre - for me and my wife there were more than enough on offer

They had Trivia on sea days - and the format, with 3 rounds of 10 questions, was fun - and challenging

I’m already on the record complementing Explora on their dining options and in many areas they excel - our group of experienced Crystal cruisers felt that Sakura offered a better quality and variety than Umi Uma - now that takes some doing. With Marble steakhouse, Fil Rouge and Med Yacht Club not to mention Emporium and it’s relatively unique concept with many interesting twists such as fresh French Oysters on offer throughout the cruise as well as Foie Gras and Filet steak regularly on offer at the grill station they have an excellent offering. I look forward to sampling Crystal’s updated menus and dining options next year 

I haven’t had as much experience on Silversea but we did enjoy our cruise with them earlier this year on Silver Muse - and will return for a month with them in 2024 - we found several dining options there that we really enjoyed eg Indochine and Spaccanapoli pizza and they are now among our favourites at sea. They had the old style entertainment with the outsourced ensemble, which we enjoyed, at that stage but we look forward to hearing the enhanced offering that Scott Douglas (ex Crystal entertainment team) is putting together for Silversea. Again I heard some acts onboard Silversea who were regulars on Crystal eg Steve Steven’s the comedian 

I’m not sure there too many of the guest entertainers who are exclusive to any one line - it’s the nature of their business that they are booked and appear on multiple lines 

So I hope these comments help balance out some of the claims about what’s on offer on Explora versus other lines - we were certainly pleasantly surprised by what we experienced on Explora. I don’t think it’s a case of a binary winners and losers judgement - there are differences and some you’ll like and some you won’t - the nice thing is that it’s done to a guests choice which they experience doing their cruise 

I guess everyone will make their choices on which lines they frequent based on what’s important to them - for us we’re now very comfortable with several lines and will choose more and more based on the itineraries given we know we’re going to have a great time on the multiple lines we’ve chosen. I don’t think I’ll ever limit myself to one line now - why would I when there is so much choice out there and even more coming on stream in the next few years 

Outstanding analysis thank you. 

We have experienced over 40 plus years of cruising a great deal of variety in our cruise selection. Now that we are post Covid we are baxk cruising and this year we did Celebrity which we always enjoy and EJ which rocked the house so to speak.  In January 2024 we will booked on Oceania Vista so we think we make good choices deiendant on ship quality and size, destination,  as well as price.

Your comments are great. We never lacked for anything entertainment wise while on board. We are not much for enrichment nor lectures however we did interact personally with of the lecturers and his wife and they were lovely knowledgeable and kind.

Singers at night as well as band were great. I have made some critical comments on this board but not in a mean spirited way but out of discernment. I am not auditioning to become an influencer lol

I think they will succeed and need a few laps around the track for shaking out. The crew wait staff et al we found absolutely tops and even those without cruise experience were wonderful and great.

I have been on board  and hopefully will be again..

all the best

• Thanks 1

Many thanks @Stickman1990 for what I consider one of the best top professional reviews of what is a specific market segment! Many congrats from Portugal!... In fact: Variety is the salt of life!...

In summary: May EJ to solve their mostly minor, communication problems with their clients and they'll be more than great!...

Permit me just 2 observations:

1) It is my understanding that EJ will, at least to an extent, to enjoy the same criticism mainstream MSC enjoys regarding language and cultural barriers. TBHH: I wouldn't expect lots of lectures and other enrichment outfits in English on EJ. They may have been a relocation cruise feature as the ship was moving from Europe to US with lots of English speaking cruisers aboard. Maybe they'll to retain them as the ship stays in the Caribbean. But things may just to be different come the ship to Europe. EJ will sell as globally as mainstream MSC sells. And in some ways at least part of their clientele will likely to be just the EU upper-affluent class, which in some cases may be newcomers to cruising. No surprise entertainment will be mostly music, singing and visuals. That's what helps with a very international crowd.

2) I also agree with the ones telling that in a few years the Apontes will be the "Emperors" of the luxury cruise market. Tell me about a company launching 6 brand new luxury ships for fleet consolidation in the next 5 years to come with no ageing ships still in the market and with more than straight away ability to order and 2nd row of some 6 more if they so wish. I can't find any... Maybe Viking, whom is one that doesn't sell globally and whom operates quite like a niche of its own really and isn't considered, nor considers itself true luxury. Corrected the first user bugs, and I'm more than certain EJ will have them corrected soon, people will simply fly to where comfort and reliability is really about. No doubt New Crystal may still have a great product... But their ships are rapidly reaching EOL as far as days go. EJ will be where reliability will still be at the segment.

Have a wonderful weekend!...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Agree that the Moet Brut Rose was quite nice.  As to Cognacs, the situation is awful.  The only included Cognacs were Hennessy VS and Hardy VS.  As a big cognac fan I do not think any "luxury" line should even serve VS and included cognacs should be VSOPs.  

The issue on EJ is that the company has some kind of agreement with the Moet Hennessy folks.  The cruise line features their products and includes Moet Chandon Champagnes (all good), Hennessy cognacs, Glenmorangie Scotch and Ardbeg Scotch (all these products are part of the Moet Hennessy empire.  In terms of single malt scotches, the only ones that are included are those two Moet products.  Any luxury line should always offer many more single malts (at least including some of the Glenfiddich line, Glenlivet, and Lagavulin.  That being said, the included Ardbeg is a fine scotch (if you like the peaty Islay products).   The deal with Moet Hennessy is a very good thing, but should not restrict the inclusion of other brands.  And if they want to feature Hennessy Cognac (as an inclusion) it should be the VSOP!  They do carry most of the Hennessey Cognac line (including the decent XO).

Hank

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Nunagoras said:

Many thanks @Stickman1990 for what I consider one of the best top professional reviews of what is a specific market segment! Many congrats from Portugal!... In fact: Variety is the salt of life!...

In summary: May EJ to solve their mostly minor, communication problems with their clients and they'll be more than great!...

Permit me just 2 observations:

1) It is my understanding that EJ will, at least to an extent, to enjoy the same criticism mainstream MSC enjoys regarding language and cultural barriers. TBHH: I wouldn't expect lots of lectures and other enrichment outfits in English on EJ. They may have been a relocation cruise feature as the ship was moving from Europe to US with lots of English speaking cruisers aboard. Maybe they'll to retain them as the ship stays in the Caribbean. But things may just to be different come the ship to Europe. EJ will sell as globally as mainstream MSC sells. And in some ways at least part of their clientele will likely to be just the EU upper-affluent class, which in some cases may be newcomers to cruising. No surprise entertainment will be mostly music, singing and visuals. That's what helps with a very international crowd.

2) I also agree with the ones telling that in a few years the Apontes will be the "Emperors" of the luxury cruise market. Tell me about a company launching 6 brand new luxury ships for fleet consolidation in the next 5 years to come with no ageing ships still in the market and with more than straight away ability to order and 2nd row of some 6 more if they so wish. I can't find any... Maybe Viking, whom is one that doesn't sell globally and whom operates quite like a niche of its own really and isn't considered, nor considers itself true luxury. Corrected the first user bugs, and I'm more than certain EJ will have them corrected soon, people will simply fly to where comfort and reliability is really about. No doubt New Crystal may still have a great product... But their ships are rapidly reaching EOL as far as days go. EJ will be where reliability will still be at the segment.

Have a wonderful weekend!...

Excellent perspective and appreciated 

• Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Stickman1990 said:

Sounds like you had way more variety in entertainment than the 9 days I was on. We had essentially the same show each evening, all very well done, just different songs. Got tedious. Sometimes it was possible to dance along; other performers spent more time on the floor and less on the stage so dancing was not an option. In my case I had no one to dance with so it was a moot point.

One issue EJ acknowledged when I was there, was that the room design and bar were resulting in many in the audience chatting with one another throughout the show - very irritating for those of us who wanted to listen the show.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hlitner said:

The issue on EJ is that the company has some kind of agreement with the Moet Hennessy folks.  The cruise line features their products and includes Moet Chandon Champagnes (all good), Hennessy cognacs, Glenmorangie Scotch and Ardbeg Scotch (all these products are part of the Moet Hennessy empire.  In terms of single malt scotches, the only ones that are included are those two Moet products.

Don't forget Ballantines.    I can survive on the included single malts.  Too soon to tell on the wines.

After just a few hours on board, I really do not want to comment.  But......initial impression is very positive.  Over the top positive.  Thanks to Hlitner, I knew packing certain items would cut angst. 

Something else learned from Hlitner, ask security for the true passenger count.

• Like 1