Starlink on Celebrity Ships - ISP/IP address location?

Tharkhold

17 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

I have been using an older model of this router that I purchased years ago.

GL.iNet GL-SFT1200 

I set up the router at home giving it an SSID and Password.

When I get on the ship I plug it into a power source and the connect to it using the pre-configured SSID and password. 

I then go through the router's procedure for connoting it to the ship's WiFi using the procedures provided by the ship.  Sometimes I set up my shipboard account with my phone and sometimes I do it on the router.  I find it easier to set up the shipboard account with my phone and then disconnect my phone.  

Once connected to the shipboard WiFi, I connect my in-room devices to the travel router and this gives me internet access via the ship's WiFi.  

Ahh,

thank you for the info. I'm looking at the AX3000 router from the same folks now 🙂

21 minutes ago, Tharkhold said:

Ahh,

thank you for the info. I'm looking at the AX3000 router from the same folks now 🙂

Looks like a nice router but the size would be a problem for me as a travel router.   Mine is only about 4"X2.5" and slips into a corner of my suitecase.    I've been looking at upgrading to the Gl.inet Gl-AXT1800

Maybe I'm looking at the wrong AX3000 but the one I popped up is from TP-Link (I have one of their travel routers). 

7 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Looks like a nice router but the size would be a problem for me as a travel router.   Mine is only about 4"X2.5" and slips into a corner of my suitecase.    I've been looking at upgrading to the Gl.inet Gl-AXT1800

Maybe I'm looking at the wrong AX3000 but the one I popped up is from TP-Link (I have one of their travel routers). 

I just saw that TP link does have an AX3000 router model name... haha

I`m looking at the GL iNet GL-MT3000 one (which has AX3000 on it, guessing its another way or writing "Wifi AX 3000MBps" or something similar):

https://www.gl-inet.com/products/gl-mt3000/

edit: hah, apparently the "3000" in "AX3000" comes from 574mpbs + 2402mbps...

Edited by Tharkhold
  • Like 1

On 9/26/2023 at 6:05 PM, DaKahuna said:

I guess my use of the travel router makes it different for me.  

I connect the travel router to the ship's WiFi - no VPN involved.  I then connect my devices, which have the VPN enabled, to the travel router.  

I'll have to double check whether I turn off he VPN on my phone when I connect it direct to the ship's WiFi.  I do not remember having to do so but then again I have slept a couple of times since I did it last. 

This is what I do. I have a travel router to connect to the WiFi. In the travel router I can either use VPN or TOR to select the country of exit. USA or other as desired. Also provides added security.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/26/2023 at 2:36 PM, Jim_Iain said:

You first connect to the ships wifi to enter your credentials.    After connected you turn on the VPN and you can spoof location and protect your data behind a firewall.

And if in the EU you do not get blocked from a bunch of USA sites using a VP N

On 9/27/2023 at 5:32 PM, DaKahuna said:

@Jim_Iain I think he is talking about the Beryl AX3000 which is a small form factor travel router similar in size to ours. 

TP-Link has a range extender but I do not know for sure if that will work as a travel router. 

Being the Silicon Valley Geek I am -  I also have a TP-Link Travel Router and a Range Extender -   Both will work but don't have the ability to do VPN from OpenVPN. 

Main Differences. The router acts as a hub that sets up a local area network and manages all of the devices and communication in it. An access point, on the other hand, is a sub-device within the local area network that provides another location for devices to connect from and enables more devices to be on the network.

14 hours ago, Wineaux007 said:

Currently on Solstice.  Connecting to wifi then turning on ExpressVPN and selecting Atlanta.  Now able to watch TV on youtubeTV.  Just departing Tahiti.  

For others if you get a message saying you are using an VPN, very often Google (YouTubeTV owner) blacklists heavily used VPN servers locations

I'm not sure if ExpressVPN publishes alternative checked points.    On NordVPN you can log into their website and on the chat window type  YouTubeTV and it pops up current validated servers that will work.    That's the main reason I changed from ExpressVPN to NordVPN.

You may also be successful by choosing a different protocol e.g. Obfuscated Servers

image.png.537d4e68093760fb88e842401ca3f3fb.png

Edited by Jim_Iain

12 hours ago, tigervixxxen said:

Pretty sure we are getting a server from New Zealand as the ads have been from there for a few days. 

I sometimes notice that when reading Google News on the ship it automatically changes to the news from the location of the server.  e.g. Amsterdam.     Often sites will change to the default language of the location and you have to go in and choose English.

27 minutes ago, CruisinShips said:

Last week in Mexico, using ExpressVPN, youtube TV rejected my location.  I tried both Miami and LA.

Yea that usually indicates YouTubeTV has blacklisted those servers.   I'm usually successful choosing an unpopulated area or one of the servers on NordVPN white list.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Yea that usually indicates YouTubeTV has blacklisted those servers.   I'm usually successful choosing an unpopulated area or one of the servers on NordVPN white list.

Good to know, thanks.  Internet was very sporadic in our stateroom on our Pacific Coastal cruise on the Eclipse last week.

3 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Being the Silicon Valley Geek I am -  I also have a TP-Link Travel Router and a Range Extender -   Both will work but don't have the ability to do VPN from OpenVPN. 

Main Differences. The router acts as a hub that sets up a local area network and manages all of the devices and communication in it. An access point, on the other hand, is a sub-device within the local area network that provides another location for devices to connect from and enables more devices to be on the network.

Thanks Jim.  i did 20+ years post military as an Infosec person.  Mostly managed network & security services, with some GRC and Penetration Testing thrown in.   My comments was related to the capabilities of that specific device vs whether or not range extenders, as a group, would function the way our travel routers do.  I own two of the TP-Link travel routers (old and new) and use one on every cruise to get round the number of device limitations. 

16 hours ago, tigervixxxen said:

Pretty sure we are getting a server from New Zealand as the ads have been from there for a few days. 

Always curious where the location is.  On the Greenland and Iceland cruise, shortly after we left the Eastern Canadian Port of St John, it switched to the U.K.  We expected the location to change yet the U.K. location was unexpected

Edited by NutsAboutGolf

2 hours ago, CruisinShips said:

I am pretty sure YouTube TV app showed a message that said location services must be on to use it.  

I think once it detects that you are out of the country it requires to be able to see  "exact location" to resume service.  But I'm pretty sure that as long as you keep VPN on before you leave the US it doesn't require.

I just set my phone to VPN Argentina and YouTube TV reported that it didn't work in that country.  Then I set it back to a US city and it required me to enable location services.  Once it established my location I was able to turn location service back off and still use the service.

Edited by wrk2cruise

5 hours ago, CruisinShips said:

Last week in Mexico, using ExpressVPN, youtube TV rejected my location.  I tried both Miami and LA.

3 hours ago, wrk2cruise said:

On my iPad I also make sure the settings for YouTube TV for location is set to off.

I’ve never used YouTube tv but have been considering it…YouTube TV and YouTube Music do not have a location setting on the iPhone iOS 17 yet the regular YouTube app does.  So it would appear it’s pulling the location from Starlink location or the vpn location if the vpn is enabled.  Like @Jim_Iain said, popular servers can be blacklisted; it’s like a game of cat and mouse

IMG_0602.png

IMG_0603.png

30 minutes ago, wrk2cruise said:

My YouTube-tv settings on my iPhone13 running ios17.2 is way different than yours.  Is your app up to date?

image.thumb.jpeg.1ea9426a248cd08efdf2f074d3ba369e.jpeg

Must be because I do not have an active paid account.  I do see an in app setting, guessing once you sign up for a paid account that system setting of location appears

IMG_0606.thumb.png.6318651335f43db427e3cd68e0354b66.png

13 hours ago, wrk2cruise said:

My YouTube-tv settings on my iPhone13 running ios17.2 is way different than yours.  Is your app up to date?

image.thumb.jpeg.1ea9426a248cd08efdf2f074d3ba369e.jpeg

Mine is the same as yours.  So are we saying that should be set Never until VPN is turned on?