Compensation for Skipping Ports?

punkyhunky

Like Cruisegirl 1976 said, check your insurance.

Our cruise insurance has cover for missed ports on a booked itinerary.

c.
the failure of your booked cruise ship to adhere to the booked itinerary; or
d.
strike, industrial action or adverse weather conditions

1 hour ago, lovesthebeach2 said:

We’ve had ports missed and not received port charges back….it’s odd that sometimes they refund them and other times they don’t.

We always received refund. They are very small (usually under $20) so I am not really worried about them.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, RD64 said:

I disagree. Last month in Alaska - Holland America refunded approx $16 on the Northbound leg, and $54 on the Southbound leg. These amounts were per person. Therefore it depends on the cruise line. The refund showed up on our folios the day before debarkation.

Both amounts were refunded to my credit card.

On our very last cruise on RCI Liberty we received return for missed (due to hurricane) port of St John, New Brunswick. It was $75 per inside room and up. It depends on a situation I guess. On other occasions we were receiving smaller amounts for missing Port Canaveral on Thanksgiving 2021 and Christmas 2021. . So Royal does returns.

16 minutes ago, Pizzagirl70 said:

Hi last night we received email say our 11/5 cruise was going to skip Nassau !!

They will be adding an another sea day!

Thanks for info about checking insurance. Will take a look at mine

Yes, some Anthem cruises will miss PC and some Nassau.

Ours (Thanksgiving) will miss PC.

2 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Over the lifecycle of the cruise from when it is first released for sale until it sails port taxes and fees changed based on actual occupancy vs planned occupancy as well as changes to the taxes and fees imposed by the ports.  The cruise line hopes that by the time they sail they have received enough money to cover these expenses.  Sometimes they have more, sometimes they have less.  When they are less they do not charge customers extra and when they have more they do not refund the extra.  By the end of the year they are pretty close.  When a port is missed it is at the discretion of the ship as to whether they refund the money or not.  They will look at that sailing and if they were over in what they collected they may refund it.  Each ship is it's own cost centre and the decision to refund or not is at the sole discretion of the management team on board.

It is frustrating that something that is global in nature and should be treated the same regardless of the ship and governed by a fleetwide corporate policy is not.

Thanks for explaining how it works…..I had no idea it’s so complicated. We have received small refunds for places we wouldn’t even get off the ship for, and other times places that we really, really wanted to visit we didn’t get refunds…..it never was an issue we just didn’t understand.  
Thanks Ken 😃

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Nope.  Letter direct from the executive office.  It is up to the individual ship as to whether it gets refunded or not.

I’m trying to figure out how this isn’t larceny. The cruise contract says nothing about keeping port fees when a port is canceled and no other cruise line has this policy. And you can bet if they replaced it with a higher cost port they’d charge you the difference 🙄

On our Carnival cruise on Sep 8-16 we were re-routed and missed all 3 ports and ended up with 3 completely different ones (due to hurricane Lee).  We received 15.65 in credit for some of the port fees for each of us.  Some on the roll call and even on the cruise seemed to have lost their ever loving minds over it.  We didn't bat an eye.  You book a cruise in hurricane season, you have to accept that changes to ports may happen.  Also the cruise contract allows them to do so.  We received the notice the night before we embarked.  We didn't spend more than 10 seconds thinking about it.  We can easily enjoy drinks in one port as another.  However I know some people feel as though they are entitled to an all expenses paid world cruise because they miss one port.  Best of luck.

1 hour ago, sayaguru said:

Interesting. I just got off a Carnival cruise. We got told as we boarded that we would miss a port. They gave $100 OBC to every cabin. 

Wow a company that actually cares about their customers...

In this case they have taken our money and are giving us nothing other than a crappy port (Port Canaveral) and RCL owned stop. RCL is truly unbelievable and doing nothing to satisfy their customers. 

33 minutes ago, iscruisingdunzo said:

Wow a company that actually cares about their customers...

In this case they have taken our money and are giving us nothing other than a crappy port (Port Canaveral) and RCL owned stop. RCL is truly unbelievable and doing nothing to satisfy their customers. 

Royal has one upped that $100.

Compensation

While your clients still get to enjoy their day onboard Anthem of the Seas, to help make up for the missed port, we will provide you with a one-day (1) cruise fare refund in the form of an Onboard Credit. This will automatically be added to your SeaPass account on boarding day. Any unused portion will be refunded to your credit card associated with your onboard folio.

For more context, one of the ship's four engines requires maintenance which impacts our speed. While this impacts our ability to deliver on the original itinerary, we're confident that it will still be an exceptional cruise vacation.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Mbelle97 said:

On the 11/12 sailing and I very much wish we were skipping Florida and still going Nassau. 

I'm on the November 12th Sailing too.  I Totally agree.  I love cruising, and I love the ship, so I'm not super disappointed, but if there was something to skip...it would be Florida.

I feel like I'm taking a cruise to nowhere.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Compensation

While your clients still get to enjoy their day onboard Anthem of the Seas, to help make up for the missed port, we will provide you with a one-day (1) cruise fare refund in the form of an Onboard Credit. This will automatically be added to your SeaPass account on boarding day. Any unused portion will be refunded to your credit card associated with your onboard folio.

For more context, one of the ship's four engines requires maintenance which impacts our speed. While this impacts our ability to deliver on the original itinerary, we're confident that it will still be an exceptional cruise vacation.

Did you receive this notification from RCCL or from your TA?

Just now, Ourusualbeach said:

I received the notification on behalf of my clients for 2 sailings

Does that work for everyone or are you special 😊. Will they give this everyone or do we have to call?  About how much does that come out to be?

16 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Compensation

I am not going to believe it until I see it since it has been less than an hour I was told that I would be out of luck for weather issues their amazing meteorologist can see 6 weeks in advance that only effect Anthem and no other ships in the Bahamas!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Nessa1dc said:

I'm on the November 12th Sailing too.  I Totally agree.  I love cruising, and I love the ship, so I'm not super disappointed, but if there was something to skip...it would be Florida.

I feel like I'm taking a cruise to nowhere.

That is exactly how I feel about now. They better over deliver on the ship otherwise this will be my last RCL cruise!

Just now, Nessa1dc said:

Does that work for everyone or are you special 😊. Will they give this everyone or do we have to call?  About how much does that come out to be?

The original notifications went direct to my cliebnts as well.  I have no isdea if this one did or not.

Take your cruise fare and subtract taxes and fees as well as prepaid gratuities and insurance and then divide by 7 to get the amount you will receive

• Like 1

1 minute ago, rockon391 said:

I am not going to believe it until I see it since it has been less than an hour I was told that I would be out of luck for weather issues their amazing meteorologist can see 6 weeks in advance that only effect Anthem and no other ships in the Bahamas!

Pretty sure that they would not have sent these out if they were not going to follow through on this but you go right on fearing the worst.