Compensation for Skipping Ports?

punkyhunky

Just got the email that Anthem of the Seas will be skipping Port Canveral for our Oct 30th sailing. Reading on other roll calls that the 2 sailings after us, they're skipping Nassau which is way worst, sorry for those on that sailing. It's our first time sailing RC. Would there be any compensation for something like this? Port fee refund? I'm just happy to be on the boat but this kinda sucks. Any one get anything in previous sailings? 

• Like 1

Funny you asked. I got notice we're going to miss the same port on November 26th sailing. I was about to ask a different question when I saw your post.

Taking into consideration the multi time cancelation of this port...is something going on there??

Why would they cancel Florida and "blame" the time? I frankly dont care. If we get on this cruise it'll be a win in my book. Just wondering.   

Screenshot_20230927_171150_Chrome.jpg

4 minutes ago, Tatka said:

We also got it for Thanksgiving.

I am not expecting anything aside from port charges.

We missed it for Thanksgiving 2021 and Christmas 2021 on Anthem.

It seems that we are not even being refunded port charges.

31 minutes ago, Tatka said:

We will. They must return it, but it is a small change.

Not necessarily. Depends on what you paid in port fees overall at final payment. If overall fees went up after final payment they do not charge you but when missing ports they take that into consideration and you may not get any refund.

5 minutes ago, CHOPPERTESTER said:

Not necessarily. Depends on what you paid in port fees overall at final payment. If overall fees went up after final payment they do not charge you but when missing ports they take that into consideration and you may not get any refund.

It’s already passed final payment. They charged all they needed. 

3 minutes ago, Tatka said:

It’s already passed final payment. They charged all they needed. 

Example:

At final payment you paid a total of $125 in port fees. After final payment the port fees for RCCL go up to $140. They do not charge you the extra $15. If you miss a port that would return $10 then you are not going to get a refund because you have already paid less than the actual cost.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I know this is a Royal Caribbean Forum but three years ago on Princess to Alaska we were given 50% of our cruise fare as a OBC valid for two years. Initially the captain came on and said 15% but with outcry from passengers they upped to 50%.
don’t ask don’t get.

19 minutes ago, westcoastBC said:

I know this is a Royal Caribbean Forum but three years ago on Princess to Alaska we were given 50% of our cruise fare as a OBC valid for two years. Initially the captain came on and said 15% but with outcry from passengers they upped to 50%.
don’t ask don’t get.

For the October 30, 2023 cruise from Bayonne, we have only two ports of call planned over the six days. Now, they cut out Port Canaveral, so we're just visiting the money pit Coco Cay. In fact, they wrote that we'd get to stay an extra hour more than was planned because of the missed port. I want 50%, too. Wife says this is our last RC cruise. I'm okay with that. 

Edited by NorthIsUp

15 minutes ago, westcoastBC said:

don’t ask don’t get.

Over the years, I've been on ships that have skipped ports for a multitude of reasons - sometimes before the cruise, sometimes during.  I've seen oodles of people complain to the CD, guest services, etc.  But I've never gotten anything more than a few dollars (in port fees) refunded.  RCL cancelled a cruise in late 2021 after final payment (it was chartered... I've guessing it was lightly booked).  -0- additional compensation  Princess did the same last summer.  We got a whopping $100 in FCC.  Thankfully, both cruises were local.

1 hour ago, NorthIsUp said:

For the October 30, 2023 cruise from Bayonne, we have only two ports of call planned over the six days. Now, they cut out Port Canaveral, so we're just visiting the money pit Coco Cay. In fact, they wrote that we'd get to stay an extra hour more than was planned because of the missed port. I want 50%, too. Wife says this is our last RC cruise. I'm okay with that. 

But you signed a contract that says the cruise line can make any changes they want with no compensation. At most, you'll get a few dollars in port taxes back,,, at most.

I don't understand the "money pit" reference. We love CocoCay because it costs us nothing when it is a port of call. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

It's a few dollars. 

I know, it's not a lot, just the principle. That few bucks could go towards a treat or something for our extra day on the ship. I think Nassau port charges/taxes are around $30/pp right now. With 4 of us that could add up to some photos, burgers, sushi, etc 

The other thing that I noticed with the change is that extras and packages have skyrocketed on board. The dining package that's been sitting in the $200's is now mid 3's. Photos are up, internet is up, excursions are up, etc. So if we want to do something special to make up for the lost port we are paying a premium to do so. 

36 minutes ago, lovesthebeach2 said:

We’ve had ports missed and not received port charges back….it’s odd that sometimes they refund them and other times they don’t.

Over the lifecycle of the cruise from when it is first released for sale until it sails port taxes and fees changed based on actual occupancy vs planned occupancy as well as changes to the taxes and fees imposed by the ports.  The cruise line hopes that by the time they sail they have received enough money to cover these expenses.  Sometimes they have more, sometimes they have less.  When they are less they do not charge customers extra and when they have more they do not refund the extra.  By the end of the year they are pretty close.  When a port is missed it is at the discretion of the ship as to whether they refund the money or not.  They will look at that sailing and if they were over in what they collected they may refund it.  Each ship is it's own cost centre and the decision to refund or not is at the sole discretion of the management team on board.

It is frustrating that something that is global in nature and should be treated the same regardless of the ship and governed by a fleetwide corporate policy is not.

• Like 1

I disagree. Last month in Alaska - Holland America refunded approx $16 on the Northbound leg, and $54 on the Southbound leg. These amounts were per person. Therefore it depends on the cruise line. The refund showed up on our folios the day before debarkation.

Both amounts were refunded to my credit card.

Edited by RD64
Additional