Wheel of Fortune coming to NCL

DeSaxMan13

3 hours ago, PATRLR said:

You may want to re-read that press release.  It doesn't say that at all, in fact it says the opposite in that it will be rolled out by spring 2024:

bring “Wheel of Fortune Interactive” aboard 16 of its vessels by Spring 2024.

That's exactly what I said "won't be available until Spring 2024".  It was the other poster that stated she played it on the 9/10 Escape and I was wondering how that was possible. She gave an explanation so it was possibly a prototype. Or something totally different. 

Under the Entertainment for my upcoming Viva cruise, Press Your Luck (another game show) has no charge but Deal or No Deal states that cards can be purchased for a fee. 

4 minutes ago, debenson0723 said:

That's exactly what I said "won't be available until Spring 2024".  It was the other poster that stated she played it on the 9/10 Escape and I was wondering how that was possible. She gave an explanation so it was possibly a prototype. Or something totally different. 

Under the Entertainment for my upcoming Viva cruise, Press Your Luck (another game show) has no charge but Deal or No Deal states that cards can be purchased for a fee. 

The release did say it would launch on Escape, so you’re probably right that it was a prototype or test experience.  It also states 16 vessels “by” Spring 2024, which suggests a ship-by-ship rollout.  I’m still questioning the viability of this game outside the US.  Language is not universal like numbers or trivia.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, CruiseMH said:

If the theater(or whichever location they are doing them at) is always empty then NCL will understand that it was a bad idea.

But unfortunately the majority won`t do that.

That is exactly what I am hoping for.  If "the majority" is all packed into the theater watching this crap, I'll have more room in the bars and other fun venues.  😎

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, debenson0723 said:

Wow.  So you are telling me these two statements say the same thing:

PR:  "has teamed up with Sony Pictures Television (SPT) and TimePlay Inc. to bring “Wheel of Fortune Interactive” aboard 16 of its vessels by Spring 2024."

@debenson0723: "won't be available until Spring 2024"

I'm sorry to have to be the one to inform you, but those two statements do NOT say the same thing.  The former says all ships will have it by Spring 2024 (which means possibly all have them before spring 2024) and the latter (your statement) says they won't have them until spring 2024 (so they won't be available in, for example Winter 2024). 

Edited by PATRLR
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, laudergayle said:

The release did say it would launch on Escape, so you’re probably right that it was a prototype or test experience.  It also states 16 vessels “by” Spring 2024, which suggests a ship-by-ship rollout.  I’m still questioning the viability of this game outside the US.  Language is not universal like numbers or trivia.  

I totally agree! I would be shocked if this game will be on my Japan cruise in 2024. Sort of like no American comedians on non-North American cruises.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, laudergayle said:

NICE!! I’m sure you’re so excited for this cruise.

Wondering, is that on the Spirit ... they are going to need to bring back Bollywood style entertainment for the ship's targeted audience onboard ... 

https://cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/2023/09/norwegian-cruise-line-launches-new-asia-pacific-itineraries/

Edited by mking8288

12 minutes ago, mking8288 said:

Wondering, is that on the Spirit ... they are going to need to bring back Bollywood style entertainment for the ship's targeted audience onboard ... 

https://cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/2023/09/norwegian-cruise-line-launches-new-asia-pacific-itineraries/

Yes, it is on the Spirit. IMHO Bollywood would be preferrable to American game shows.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 9/30/2023 at 6:29 AM, HowardK said:

The press release forgot "When customers want to buy a vowel, they will be charged $19.95 to their on board account"

Only if they don’t have the package. Imo the vowel pack is worth it for cruises 7 days or more. 

1 hour ago, mugtech said:

Last thing I want is to have to bring a phone to be entertained.

Same here! I take my phone and it goes straight into the safe. It does not come back out until we are getting off the ship on the last day. Being glued to a phone is no vacation!

No, I do not use the NCL app or any other cruise line app as I find them to be annoying. It is bad enough watching people all the time who can't put their phones down but now NCL is encouraging it!🤦

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Just looked at out Dec. 16-day sailing on Star. The show What the World Needs Now had been showing as leaving Oct. 11 since June of this year. NCL just started showing Deal or No Deal with these words  "Play cards will be available for purchase onboard." At least, they are keeping Paradis and Band on the Run. There are 6 sea days on the cruise. I guess I could be doing a lot of trivia and reading.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, shof515 said:

I am sailing on the escape in a few weeks this is now appearing on my ncl account:

image.thumb.png.f173b5402a47e048e42f7ceb9376e891.png

Tks for the confirmation.  Also the big photo with the announcement shows CD Jack G. as the Host and he's on Escape.  Not sure when photo was taken, presumably recently.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ready2cruzagain said:

Same here! I take my phone and it goes straight into the safe. It does not come back out until we are getting off the ship on the last day. Being glued to a phone is no vacation!

No, I do not use the NCL app or any other cruise line app as I find them to be annoying. It is bad enough watching people all the time who can't put their phones down but now NCL is encouraging it!🤦

100% agree with you both! The point of going on a cruise is to unplug for me- obviously I know people do need to stay connected- in Bermuda i checked voicemails with my verizonpass etc. but I prefer to be just looking at the ocean

20 hours ago, laudergayle said:

Wheel of Fortune has multiple versions in many other countries.  Often, the US version will showcase some of these.   As of July 2022, thirteen countries outside the United States are known to still be airing their own version of Wheel: Argentina, Belgium, Brazil, Denmark, Greece, Hungary, Iran, Poland, Romania, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Spain, and Turkey.

13 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

Wheel of Fortune has multiple versions in many other countries.  Often, the US version will showcase some of these.   As of July 2022, thirteen countries outside the United States are known to still be airing their own version of Wheel: Argentina, Belgium, Brazil, Denmark, Greece, Hungary, Iran, Poland, Romania, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Spain, and Turkey.

And so?? What version will they play on the ship? And phrases are not universal.

Edited by laudergayle
  • Haha 1

This thread is a bit dramatic (hysteric). 

There are two types of game shows NCL does. Those as entertainment that are replacements for a show in the evening in the theatre. These are Price is Right and Press your Luck. They have full sets, staging and are free.

Then you have bingo replacements, deal or no deal is one. They DO NOT replacement evening entertainment. Tend to be run around 3PM, have a cost, much like Bingo, starting at 29$ or 59$ for a triplicate package.

Based on available evidence (the cost, revenue manager, the roll out to basically every ship and the lack of physical wheel), this is the latter. Therefore it is not replacing anything (other than maybe a day of scheduled Bingo).

I’m sorry everyone’s day of Bingo was replaced.

Edited by BrianLo

20 minutes ago, BrianLo said:

This thread is a bit dramatic (hysteric). 

There are two types of game shows NCL does. Those as entertainment that are replacements for a show in the evening in the theatre. These are Price is Right and Press your Luck. They have full sets, staging and are free.

Then you have bingo replacements, deal or no deal is one. They DO NOT replacement evening entertainment. Tend to be run around 3PM, have a cost, much like Bingo, starting at 29$ or 59$ for a triplicate package.

Based on available evidence (the cost, revenue manager, the roll out to basically every ship and the lack of physical wheel), this is the latter. Therefore it is not replacing anything (other than maybe a day of scheduled Bingo).

I’m sorry everyone’s day of Bingo was replaced.

You have such high hopes. Given past experiences I find that most thinking it will replace the evening entertainment to be more accurate. But time will tell, we are all guessing.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, ready2cruzagain said:

You have such high hopes. Given past experiences I find that most thinking it will replace the evening entertainment to be more accurate. But time will tell, we are all guessing.

Believe it or not but there are many who couldn't care less if all the evening entertainment shows go away.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

Believe it or not but there are many who couldn't care less if all the evening entertainment shows go away.

Give me a decent band in a bar, and I'm good for the night.

Other than Choir of Man (where I watch the band above most of the time), Broadway type shows are take it or leave it for me. I just don't understand why it is so important to people, considering the bigger picture.  What are we talking? An hour, a couple times, out of a week?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, IAcruising said:

Give me a decent band in a bar, and I'm good for the night.

Other than Choir of Man (where I watch the band above most of the time), Broadway type shows are take it or leave it for me. I just don't understand why it is so important to people, considering the bigger picture.  What are we talking? An hour, a couple times, out of a week?

Can't stand bar bands.  Far too loud. 

The most enjoyable cruise ship entertainment we've experienced was the classical piano on Holland. 

We could actually carry on a conversation there. 

• Like 2

I might be an outlier but I look forward to some kind of show production or one-off guest performer in the theater each evening on a cruise ship. Disappointed that our sailing will only have one big production. I don’t care how sophisticated this new game show thing will be - classified the same as bingo and trivia in my books - which is a big ol’ blech!  🤷‍♀️ 😣

• Like 2