The Fleet Report and Daily for Saturday September 30th, 2023

richwmn

19 hours ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Good afternoon.  It's amazing that in less than 48 hours after the surgery, DH is noticing some more improvement.  He'd been experiencing numbness in his right leg even before his back surgery.  We and the back surgeon attributed it to the spinal stenosis and the sciatica.  While it was improving over the past year, there was some residual numbness, and the fact that he still needed to pull his right leg up part of the way when he wanted to cross his legs.  This morning the numbness was less, and without thinking he could cross his leg without any effort.  I wish others could have heard the surprise and excitement in his voice when he realized what had happened.  He wanted me to come over and see it for myself.  Now, we're wondering what others things were caused by the NPH and not the spinal stenosis and sciatica.  More importantly, we just glad they are clearing up.

While the pain from the surgery is not as severe as it was Thursday, but there are a couple of places that are still very sore and painful.  The small incision where they placed the valve that controls the rate of cerebral spinal fluid being drained and a place in his neck where the drain line goes down to his abdomen are especially sensitive.  Sitting up in his recliner seems to aggravate them after a while.  Thankfully, the pain meds are helping even though they make him sleepy.  Sleep will help with his recovery.  

We are more optimistic this afternoon that he'll be much improved in a few weeks.  Neither of us admitted to the other until this morning that were were not sure how much the surgery would help, but that we knew it was necessary if there was any hope.  Now it feels like a weight has been lifted from our shoulders, and we can begin to look forward to the future.  @JazzyV  Vanessa, thank you for putting him on the care list.  I think he could be moved to the rotation or taken off completely.

Annie, I appreciate your suggestions, but I'm not a nap taker.  Until this past year or so with all that was happening, I normally would sleep soundly.  That has been the case for a couple of weeks until this week.  Now, I think I'll be able to sleep better in the coming days.  BTW, I liked the picture you took.

Gerry, I hope the frost and cold weather hold off for a while longer.

Karen, our old dryer is taking longer too.  We bought it in 1999, and did not replace it when we got the new washer.  Part of the problem is that the washer has a bigger capacity, so the dryer is drying bigger loads.  Enjoy your dinner with your DH's sister and DBIL.  I hope you get the crab.

Vanessa, I'm very happy you had a better night last night.  I hope the new doctor will have an answer to the pain and more important a way to solve it.

Debbie, I'm glad the WD-40 worked.  Between WD-40, duct tape and a good kick, many things can be fixed.  😁  Will we get before and after pictures of the light?

I hope all those in the path of the storms in the northeast are safe and do not have flooded basements or houses.

Now, it's time to go watch the UT game.  HOOK EM, HORNS!

Lenda

Lenda,

Sorry I didn’t post yesterday.  This is very good news.  I hope your DH continues to improve.

Terri

• Like 3

@Quartzsite Cruiser so happy that you are seeing glimmers of good things.  Like Carolyn said, I understand as well, when you’ve been through something life changing you’re never sure.  So it’s wonderful to be open to the possibilities!   Also understand about being cautious, wishing you and Steve all the best!

@Cruising-along agree that one can use that other place in a private way!  

@marshhawk yes, sometimes too much information can be shared.  

@StLouisCruisers my prayers for Scott as well, how scary! 

I have to add rabbit rabbit rabbit! 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

12 hours ago, kochleffel said:

...Is it only a coincidence that the first Ethernet specification was published on the anniversary on the first use of ether for anesthesia?...

I would say there is about a 1 in 365 chance of that happening.

On the other hand, we all know what that day is called when it falls on a Sunday.

13 hours ago, kochleffel said:

I'm finishing up arrangements for Spain and the Spanish Farewell, and I have a question about the train in Spain. I'll be going from Madrid-Barajas airport to Atocha station on the Cercanias commuter rail, and from Madrid to Barcelona on the Iryo high-speed train. For those trips, and the Barcelona metro to my hotel, is the risk of theft enough that I should put locks on my luggage, to the extent that it's possible? Or does that only identify a bag that might contain something worth stealing? ...

And an unrelated question: In another forum, people were discussing paying for hospital care abroad. The thread contains some misinformation, such as the statement that no Medigap plan covers foreign treatment, which some plans (C and F that I know of) actually do. But the concerning part is the insistence that foreign hospitals require payment in cash, meaning currency, and won't take credit cards. It is hard for me to imagine traveling with thousands of dollars in cash.

Thanks for asking both of these questions - I am not able to provide insight, but am extremely interested in learning what those w/experience can offer due to upcoming EU, TA & TP cruises.

TIA to fellow Dailyites who can offer up some info.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, kochleffel said:

There are vegetarians whom I would hug, and there are other vegetarians whom I wouldn't want to get that close to. I think I am more in favor of truth and reconciliation than of mud packs.

Is it only a coincidence that the first Ethernet specification was published on the anniversary on the first use of ether for anesthesia?

Not all all sure about lasagna soup, but the bourbon punch might be OK. For a Finger Lakes Sauvignon Blanc, there are lots of choices. How about Bravery Wines 2021, which benefits the Yellow Ribbon Fund. I haven't been to Fiji.

I'm finishing up arrangements for Spain and the Spanish Farewell, and I have a question about the train in Spain. I'll be going from Madrid-Barajas airport to Atocha station on the Cercanias commuter rail, and from Madrid to Barcelona on the Iryo high-speed train. For those trips, and the Barcelona metro to my hotel, is the risk of theft enough that I should put locks on my luggage, to the extent that it's possible? Or does that only identify a bag that might contain something worth stealing? I'll also travel between Madrid and Toledo on the high-speed rail, but without luggage.

I was also thinking today about whether using laundry on the Oosterdam would allow packing lighter without having to do hand laundry in Madrid. I've concluded that it wouldn't, because of the number of days before boarding and the need to have something to wear until the laundry comes back. Unfortunately I'll have to take some things that I don't usually carry, such as a bluetooth keyboard.

And an unrelated question: In another forum, people were discussing paying for hospital care abroad. The thread contains some misinformation, such as the statement that no Medigap plan covers foreign treatment, which some plans (C and F that I know of) actually do. But the concerning part is the insistence that foreign hospitals require payment in cash, meaning currency, and won't take credit cards. It is hard for me to imagine traveling with thousands of dollars in cash.

tennis.thumb.jpg.5e93496e51c4b7f75630b5ab9ebf67bd.jpg 

I put locks on everything.  Carry-on, handbag, hubby!  Not taking any risks...  I haven't been on the trains in Spain, but other places the trains have areas where you leave your bag, and you need to try to sit where you can see it, or better yet, keep it right beside you.  

As far as laundry, we have mixed success with it coming back within 24 hours.  On Rotterdam it took 3 days.  Hoping for better on Oostie!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

4 hours ago, Vict0riann said:

I put locks on everything.  Carry-on, handbag, hubby!  Not taking any risks...  I haven't been on the trains in Spain, but other places the trains have areas where you leave your bag, and you need to try to sit where you can see it, or better yet, keep it right beside you.  

As far as laundry, we have mixed success with it coming back within 24 hours.  On Rotterdam it took 3 days.  Hoping for better on Oostie!

Thanks. I've just been checking: including a personal item, I could need as many as six locks! I have two. In addition, the personal item has three outside compartments that aren't readily lockable, but since it will be with me all the time, a single twist of wire can take care of all three.

• Like 3