interior vs large interior vs obstructed OV

joannelj

First time on HAL, and as I was booking I found the room types confusing.  I'm okay with interior - I'm not worried about a view.  But the prices on the large and OV rooms was not a lot more than the interior, and I thought some extra space would be nice.

And that's when I got confused.

A basic interior is listed as Approximately 141-284 sq. ft.  The large interior is listed the same, 114-284.  The OV is Approximately 169-267 sq. ft.

So...  is there really that wide a range in the basic interior?  How much bigger is the large interior?  The OV is both larger and smaller than the interior, depending on which side of the range you look at.  So, in reality is it bigger than the Large interior?

I'm sorry if this has been asked before, I tried to search but was using my mobile, and really didn't find anything.

I've sailed RCCL, NCL, and CCL, and I'm looking forward to the upgrade to HAL!

Thanks,

JoAnne

We’ve cruised in all 3 room types.  And, yes, some interiors are larger than others.  I really haven’t paid attention to the actual square footage of the rooms.   The sideways interior rooms have felt roomier and I liked the layout better. The OVs I’ve had felt about the same size as an interior.  We’ve never had a space issue in any HAL room - but we tend to be light packers.  We are getting ready to sail for 7 months and are taking about what we would take for anything over a week plus extra toiletries since we’ve found it can be difficult to find things like shaving cream elsewhere.  So, we don’t need that much space and wouldn’t really notice a storage difference in rooms.  Hopefully a heavier packer can answer the question too.

We do typically have any furniture (table, chair, not the couch) removed that we won’t be using and that helps on space too.

• Like 1

Joanne, don't get confused between room "size" and "category".  Some inside cabins are quite roomy, and bigger than any ocean view or balcony.  Others are tiny.  Ocean views are with very few exceptions all the same size, regardless of whether they are full or obstructed views. (And no, they are not bigger than 'large interiors') Inside cabins have a range, and the range is just that - some cabins in the same category are bigger than others.  The deck plan of the ship you'll be on can be helpful in that when you look at the map of the rooms you can tell if you are dealing with a cabin that is especially big or small. 

Edited by Moriah

On the Vista class ships - avoid the cabins such as #6015. Sideways and Interior. A great location but very, very small and I was travelling as a solo. I could not imagine two people in here. I booked it as a guarantee, looking on line I thought it was a bigger cabin with a couch but sadly no. You walk in, and it is all bed, with the closets in a very awkward position - difficult to access.

I did try to switch out of it once I saw the actual cabin but there was nothing to upgrade to. Lesson learned, I will never book a guarantee again, and always select the exact cabin I want.

Edited by RD64
Additional

20 minutes ago, Moriah said:
1 hour ago, joannelj said:

First time on HAL, and as I was booking I found the room types confusing.  I'm okay with interior - I'm not worried about a view.  But the prices on the large and OV rooms was not a lot more than the interior, and I thought some extra space would be nice.

And that's when I got confused.

A basic interior is listed as Approximately 141-284 sq. ft.  The large interior is listed the same, 114-284.  The OV is Approximately 169-267 sq. ft.

So...  is there really that wide a range in the basic interior?  How much bigger is the large interior?  The OV is both larger and smaller than the interior, depending on which side of the range you look at.  So, in reality is it bigger than the Large interior?

I'm sorry if this has been asked before, I tried to search but was using my mobile, and really didn't find anything.

I've sailed RCCL, NCL, and CCL, and I'm looking forward to the upgrade to HAL!

Thanks,

JoAnne

We were just in a sideways interior and it seemed the same size as a regular interior, just the space was used differently and "felt" larger. Across the hall there were special needs interiors and they were huge, as rolling in a wheelchair was necessary. Each ship has different situations. Sometimes you can google a specific cabin number and get lucky with a youtube video and there is a website halfacts and there are often pictures of the different cabins on different ships that are posted by previous voyagers. Space (we are overpackers, well I am at least 🙂 ) is never an issue for us. There are also really nice hooks on the walls and we bring our own magnetic hooks for added hanging items. (hats, backpacks, bathing suit drying, etc.) 

5 minutes ago, joannelj said:

I should have mentioned the ship - it's nieuw amsterdam

Should be the same configuration as the Noordam - which I was on. I believe these same cabins are just below on Deck 5 as well - and expect they have the same configuration.

4 hours ago, joannelj said:

I always figure the largest sizes of the brackets are the handicap cabins. That said, the large square-appearing insides on the MAIN deck of the Vista and Signature class ships really are larger and nicely arranged. Nieuw Amsterdam is a Signature Class ship.

When I realized we might end up in an upper-deck "I" interior with a guarantee through a mail-order travel company, I upped our level to an OceanView, and ended up just below the nightclub with the bass reverberating through the ceiling until after 11pm. No more guarantees for us!

So, what stateroom are you in?

8 minutes ago, crystalspin said:

I always figure the largest sizes of the brackets are the handicap cabins. That said, the large square-appearing insides on the MAIN deck of the Vista and Signature class ships really are larger and nicely arranged. Nieuw Amsterdam is a Signature Class ship.

When I realized we might end up in an upper-deck "I" interior with a guarantee through a mail-order travel company, I upped our level to an OceanView, and ended up just below the nightclub with the bass reverberating through the ceiling until after 11pm. No more guarantees for us!

So, what stateroom are you in?

We haven't actually booked yet, trying to make the best choice.

1 hour ago, joannelj said:

So, it sounds like some people prefer the sideways cabins, and other people prefer the regular ones.  Is there really much difference, other than everything being turned sideways?

The layout of the sideways cabin we were in on the Zaandam felt roomier than most inside cabins we’ve had.  Sounds like that isn’t always the case.  

45 minutes ago, seaoma said:

@joannelj Check out halfacts.com or cruisedeckplans.com to look at some cabins that you are considering. Even if you can't find the actual cabin, you can check on the category of cabin. 

On the Nieuw Amsterdam, the larger interior cabins are coded as "J" and "K" on the main deck (deck level 1).  Cruisedeck plans is a helpful site to determine if the location of your intended cabin is under or above a noisy public space. For instance, the "J" port cabins 1054, 1058, and 1064 may not be good cabins to get if you are a light and early-to-bed sleeper, because they are directly under the BB King music lounge with its loud performances in the evening.

Yes the J and K categories are fine - it is the dreaded L and N cabins which I feel should be avoided unless absolutely necessary.

The J and Ks that I have been in have a couch and seating area. #6015 there is no seating area nor room for one - the seating area is the bed.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, RD64 said:

Yes the J and K categories are fine - it is the dreaded L and N cabins which I feel should be avoided unless absolutely necessary.

The J and Ks that I have been in have a couch and seating area. #6015 there is no seating area nor room for one - the seating area is the bed.

Why are the L and N cabins bad?  I think I was looking at an L as a possibility, but I can't get the website to load right now.

Not all Ls - looking at the deck plans - some are different - however, if you look on deck 4, 5, 6, in the front section - cabin #6015. You open the door - you step in - it will be crowded for two people to stand at the same time. 

To the left is the bed - straight ahead of you is the tv/desk/mirror.

To the left is the coffee table. Hang a right and the bathroom (smallest I have seen on HAL - definitely not a bathtub. I had to shower in the main part of the bathroom because it was so small. Someone who may be full figured will definitely struggle.

The closet situation is definitely strange - I truly can’t describe it. Also your luggage will have to go in the closet because there is no - and I repeat no - floor space.

I can only speak with certainty regarding cabin #6015 on the Noordam - other cabins in this category May or may not be different. But as I said previously, this cabin was enough to make me permanently stop playing The Guarantee Game.

13 minutes ago, joannelj said:

Why are the L and N cabins bad?  I think I was looking at an L as a possibility, but I can't get the website to load right now.

Very small and only one chair (desk chair) for seating. These "K" cabins are laid out like the sideways Ls.

https://halfacts.com/signature-class/5149-nieuw-amsterdam/

https://halfacts.com/signature-class/5168-nieuw-amsterdam/

Edited by crystalspin
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, joannelj said:

They aren't bad. They are just small and they are usually far forward or aft.

https://cruisedeckplans.com/DP/deckplans/slideshow-cabin.php?ship=Nieuw-Amsterdam&cabin=7096

Edited by seaoma

12 minutes ago, crystalspin said:

Very small and only one chair (desk chair) for seating. These "K" cabins are laid out like the sideways Ls.

https://halfacts.com/signature-class/5149-nieuw-amsterdam/

https://halfacts.com/signature-class/5168-nieuw-amsterdam/

Thank you for posting this link - #5168 is the exact same layout as my Noordam #6015. Sadly the pics make it look larger than it is.

One thing - the closet with the safe is across from the two main closets, in a very narrow space. I did appreciate the motion sensor light during the night. Oh yes - a positive - the mattress and linens were beyond perfection.

The cabin is so small that if you are like me, you will spend a bare minimum of time - and since there is nowhere to put anything, your cabin will be neat and tidy.

22 minutes ago, cruisingrob21 said:

Don't forget that on the Vista and Pinnacle class ships there are 2 (maybe 4) inside cabins with a window 🙂 

2 each. As do the Signature ships. However on Eurodam and N.Amsterdam they are on the Panorama Deck and classed as Spa Interiors so possibly no real savings! (IQ10043 & IQ10044). 

As the class of ship gets newer, the size of a comparable category cabin gets smaller, in general. 
The R-class ships have the largest cabins; the Vista and Signature class all have cabins of the same size as each other, but generally smaller than the R-class. The Pinnacle class has smaller cabins still. 

On the R-class, the sideways cabins tend to be larger than the majority of the insides; just the opposite on the Vista and Signature classes. 
As others noted, on the Vista and Signature (your proposed Nieuw Amsterdam is a Signature class ship), the inside cabins on Main Deck are huge! They are the largest insides I have ever been in, and I have been in mostly inside cabins on over 60 HAL cruises.
I use a mobility scooter, and they hold it---with room to maneuver---easily. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, crystalspin said:

2 each. As do the Signature ships. However on Eurodam and N.Amsterdam they are on the Panorama Deck and classed as Spa Interiors so possibly no real savings! (IQ10043 & IQ10044). 

great point - I snagged one of the inside-out K cabins on the Kdam and have been offered upsells.  I like the topside location, access to the jogging track, pools, buffet and crowsnest so I'm not interested in changing location.   From what I've seen in pictures, those specific cabins on Pinnacle ships actually let a good amount of light in - the Signature ships have less room between the cabin window and the pool dome/exterior stairs so the view is less.

Edited by cruisingrob21

Okay, this info about the L cabins is what I was looking for - I was hoping to get a cabin with a sofa, to have a little extra sitting room.  I've been looking for info on which category rooms have what, but I guess it's not that straightforward.

Are all the regular insides an L or N?  Do you have to go with the Large Inside to get the sofa?