Cheers Pricing

Colive18

What irritates me the most is my other family members have had room rates with cheers included at a big discount; I don't get these offers because I actively sail, they don't. I check their VIFP numbers all the time. Nice way to treat Diamond members, Carnival.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Pellaz said:

As I read Carnival's press release, the price was increasing by $5 per day, not $10.  It was confusingly written, so I could well be reading too much, or too little, into it.  

Either way, lock in those drink packages sooooon.  

It's word games, got the email too. Am I correct in saying the price goes up if you wait until you are onboard to buy? This is above the "Buy now" button in the email - "

PAY ONE FLAT PRICE FOR YOUR SPIRITED BEVERAGES
Save $10 per day (that’s $15 off new per day pricing onboard) when you book your Cheers! package now.

So I'm guessing, it's 59 now, but will be 69. Now if you wait until you get on board, 74, that would be the extra 5?  Either case, I'm not getting it, I don't drink enough anymore. 

11 hours ago, highSeas22 said:

Go buy 5 drinks in a nice bar.  That's about 75 dollars..  

It's $82.54 per day with the fees, $165 with partner. You'd need closer to 6, 12 with your partner. Let alone if one or both of you want a day off. The psychological effect of simplifying it down to a single day for a single person seems to be what gets so many hooked. I've been around a lot of drinkers in my life, and most couples just aren't putting down 12 fancy cocktails a day for X days. 

I love to drink, but I'm over this obsession that I need an unlimited plan to suck down as many as I can. Personally, I'm content with bringing wine, buying some beers at a shop in port days, buying a handful of cocktails out of pocket, and taking some time off.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, sammee said:

It's word games, got the email too. Am I correct in saying the price goes up if you wait until you are onboard to buy? This is above the "Buy now" button in the email - "

PAY ONE FLAT PRICE FOR YOUR SPIRITED BEVERAGES
Save $10 per day (that’s $15 off new per day pricing onboard) when you book your Cheers! package now.

So I'm guessing, it's 59 now, but will be 69. Now if you wait until you get on board, 74, that would be the extra 5?  Either case, I'm not getting it, I don't drink enough anymore. 

For 3, 4, & 5-day cruises: 

Currently, people who pay for Cheers! before their cruises pay $59.95 a day. That price will go up 17%, to $69.95 a day. Passengers who opt to book onboard will see the same $10 a day increase, from $64.95 a day to $74.95 a day. That's 15% higher.

You have until Oct 8 to lock in the lower price by purchasing.

From October 9th – December 1st, you will only be able to purchase Cheers via your Cruise Manager.  Cheers cannot be purchase during this time by calling Carnival.

14 hours ago, KyloRen said:

Hi guys! I was just looking at Cheers and it told me the price is rising soon. so I quickly added it to all 5 of my sailings. 

Does anyone know when the price of the Cheers package will go up? 

thanks!! 

December 1 2023 for cruises that are 3,4,and 5 day no change to cruises that are 6+

14 hours ago, VentureMan_2000 said:

Let's do the Math...  I like doing the Math...

Assuming two people in the stateroom...

$59.95 x 2 = $119.90

$119.90 x 0.18 = $21.58   ( Gratuity )

$119.90 + 21.58 = $141.48

$141.48 x 5 = $707.40

Well you never said 2 people. Skewing the data makes it not worth it for a single passenger. We are saying the same thing but two different ways. $707 / 2 = $353. Same ballpark and worth it if you are going to drink 10+ a day.

4 hours ago, Joebucks said:

It's $82.54 per day with the fees, $165 with partner. You'd need closer to 6, 12 with your partner. Let alone if one or both of you want a day off. The psychological effect of simplifying it down to a single day for a single person seems to be what gets so many hooked. I've been around a lot of drinkers in my life, and most couples just aren't putting down 12 fancy cocktails a day for X days. 

Well, since my wife and I typically average 12 per day each on a cruise, guess we'll keep buying the Cheers package.

BTW, we typically cruise 7 days or longer so this specific change doesn't affect us, but I'm sure Carnival will eventually increase the price for longer cruises too.

5 hours ago, Sailor75 said:

What irritates me the most is my other family members have had room rates with cheers included at a big discount;

But that's classic targeted marketing: your family members probably never bought Cheers, but do buy a few drinks every day, so this is Carnival upselling them to Cheers for a first-time discount, in the hopes that next time they'll buy the package at full price.

5 hours ago, Joebucks said:

I love to drink, but I'm over this obsession that I need an unlimited plan to suck down as many as I can. Personally, I'm content with bringing wine, buying some beers at a shop in port days, buying a handful of cocktails out of pocket, and taking some time off.

5 drinks by people who like to drink over the course of a day is easy.  Beers or wine during the day, pre dinner drinks, drinks at dinner, post dinner drinks. Drinks at the pool. To many, that's a bargain. Oh yeah, throw in a few lattes.   Plus the mentality that it's all paid for is a convenience.   Every is not you

• Like 1

I can understand why they are doing it and it does not necessarily follow that Cheers will increase for longer cruises (although it is certainly still a possibility). The passengers on shorter cruises are more inclined to imbibe more in the shorter period of time so raising the cost of Cheers will increase the profitability of it for Carnival. The increase seems to be a modest one and I know that we would have no trouble getting our money's worth, but of course everyone needs to do their own analysis for themselves. (I know that on the longer cruises I will average about a drink an hour starting at around noon on a sea day or when we get back aboard when in port which is usually a few hours before sail away.)

20 hours ago, highSeas22 said:

Go buy 5 drinks in a nice bar.  That's about 75 dollars..  

This argument is irrelevant. Your choice is to pay for cheers or Carnival's drink prices. If Carnival doesn't charge $18 for a martini, then it doesn't matter what you might pay for it in a fancy bar. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, sanger727 said:

This argument is irrelevant. Your choice is to pay for cheers or Carnival's drink prices. If Carnival doesn't charge $18 for a martini, then it doesn't matter what you might pay for it in a fancy bar. 

Way to miss the whole point.   If you drink moderately to alot.  The package is a deal. If you don't drink a lot, it's not.  5 drinks can equal the daily charge easily.   It's simple math .  Throw in lattes and beer around the pool and you win.  

Edited by highSeas22

55 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

I can understand why they are doing it and it does not necessarily follow that Cheers will increase for longer cruises (although it is certainly still a possibility). The passengers on shorter cruises are more inclined to imbibe more in the shorter period of time so raising the cost of Cheers will increase the profitability of it for Carnival. The increase seems to be a modest one and I know that we would have no trouble getting our money's worth, but of course everyone needs to do their own analysis for themselves. (I know that on the longer cruises I will average about a drink an hour starting at around noon on a sea day or when we get back aboard when in port which is usually a few hours before sail away.)

Since a longer cruise is also likely to have more port days than a short cruise, I also don't expect those prices to go up soon.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, highSeas22 said:

Way to miss the whole point.   If you drink moderately to alot.  The package is a deal. If you don't drink a lot, it's not.  5 drinks can equal the daily charge easily.   It's simple math .  Throw in lattes and beer around the pool and you win.  

I didn't miss the point. Looking through Carnival's drink menus, it appears that most cocktails and glasses of wine range from $10-$13. So, on the high end, 5 drinks is $65, not $75. Which is still less than the cost of cheers with the price increase. Your argument was that a nice bar charges up to $75 for 5 drinks; who cares? That's not what you would pay on Carnival so its irrelevant.

20 hours ago, Sailor75 said:

I've been on almost 50 Carnival cruises and never purchased the Cheers package, it's way overpriced (and I like to drink). I was just looking at the pricing before it goes up, $707 for 5 days, not a good deal; that's more than I spent on the cruise. I prefer the Vineyards package.

What is the Vineyard package?  On Carnival?

55 minutes ago, highSeas22 said:

The package is not a deal if you drink moderately.

You have to heavily binge drink to make it a deal when it comes to alcoholic drinks.

Moderate drinking is defined as " 2 drinks or less in a day for men and 1 drink or less in a day for women"

Heavy alcohol use is defined as:

For men, consuming five or more drinks on any day or 15 or more per week

For women, consuming four or more on any day or 8 or more drinks per week

• Haha 4

7 minutes ago, sanger727 said:

I didn't miss the point. Looking through Carnival's drink menus, it appears that most cocktails and glasses of wine range from $10-$13. So, on the high end, 5 drinks is $65, not $75. Which is still less than the cost of cheers with the price increase. Your argument was that a nice bar charges up to $75 for 5 drinks; who cares? That's not what you would pay on Carnival so its irrelevant.

Cheers also includes top shelf booze which is an additional cost to the standard drinks. Either way, its worth it for some and not worth it for others. Doesn't matter how people spend their money, let them be and drink as much or little as they want on vacation. This thread was just stating prices are going up on 5 or less day cruises.

16 minutes ago, aborgman said:

The package is not a deal if you drink moderately.

You have to heavily binge drink to make it a deal when it comes to alcoholic drinks.

Moderate drinking is defined as " 2 drinks or less in a day for men and 1 drink or less in a day for women"

Heavy alcohol use is defined as:

For men, consuming five or more drinks on any day or 15 or more per week

For women, consuming four or more on any day or 8 or more drinks p

Says who.  Binge means all at once.  Go stand at any pool bar and it's packed all day. There are many who will make out on the package. Just because it's not you, it works for others. Some it's a convenience of prepaying.  It's simple math.   It also includes every beverage.  🤦

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Riles34 said:

Cheers also includes top shelf booze which is an additional cost to the standard drinks. Either way, its worth it for some and not worth it for others. Doesn't matter how people spend their money, let them be and drink as much or little as they want on vacation. This thread was just stating prices are going up on 5 or less day cruises.

Exactly

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tomroach said:

What is the Vineyard package?  On Carnival?

It's wine by the bottle, they have a 3 bottle package and a 5 bottle package. The 3 bottles are $81 and 5 bottles are $126 + gratuities. There's also a premium wine package that's more. I buy the package in the Cherry on Top shop, they'll give you coupons you can redeem at any bar. Two packages are enough for us for a 5 day cruise with the 2 bottles we bring with us; so, we only spend $300 instead $700 on Cheers.

We always get Cheers! We always come out ahead. We also do the stairs to help with the food indulgence. It's our vacation and it's the only time we order fancy coffees. After every cruise I do all the math (math teachers love doing math). When it stops being a deal we won't do it. I don't want to think about how much the drinks are costing. I like preparing for as much as possible. Everyone vacations different. We will average about 10,11 or 12 each a day. We don't get off boat and never wake up hung over.  We drink a lot of bottle water also.

Edited by slavigne5577
  • Like 3

All of the definitions of what constitutes a heavy drinker miss an important part of the equation- the number of times during a year that a person meets or exceeds that consumption level. I am a heavy drinker on vacation (as I said above, since I tend to average about 1 drink an hour after a certain point), but the rest of the year I'm a moderate drinker (heck, some weeks I'm even a non-drinker). Since the health organizations are concerned with health, they need to include the number of times being a heavy drinker during the year will have an adverse impact on one's health in order for the definition to be helpful. 

That being said a moderate drinker might still make Cheers work but it would take drinking a lot more specialty coffees, milkshakes, waters, etc.

ETA- just put some numbers in the drink calculator. Someone who has 2 cocktails, 4 specialty coffees, 4 mocktails and 4 sodas per day would save $190 with Cheers. So yes, even a moderator drinker can get their money's worth.

Edited by sparks1093
  • Like 2