Quasi-Live Westerdam Oct 1st Japan

Ferry_Watcher

@bluesplayer, we are staying at The Aloft in Ginza area of Tokyo.  We stayed there when we were in Japan last October.  It's close to a train station and lots of restaurants nearby.  There is a 7/11 or Lawson's just across the street with ATMs.  The hotel offers breakfast, and has a bar on lobby level that offered music at least once while we were there (3 nights).  There was also a fun outdoor rooftop bar that served hotdogs from a converted VW van  (and champagne).

Also, Google Maps is amazing to use when traveling on the train system in Tokyo.  It even tells you what train car to get in to.  Best, it tells you what exit to use to get you to your destination.  Truly a godsend for traveling in Tokyo.

• Like 3

I am not on your cruise but was on the Westerdam 2 weeks before your departure.  Our friend works on the ship so am happy to read your report and thank you plus I look on the Marine traffic site to see where your ship is.  

Your educational lectures you posted are very interesting compared to Diamond Princess when we cruised with her 3 times before the pandemic in Japan, Westerdam is hands up. I love HAL educational programs.

Thanks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Ferry_Watcher Thank you for hotel info.  Looks very nice.  I assume you booked on your own and not through HA?  Nothing like hot dogs and champagne!!  Will follow along your review.  Hoping to get some insight on tours and activities.  May calm seas be with you..  much thanks from Seattle..  

• Like 1

Just now, bluesplayer said:

@Ferry_Watcher Thank you for hotel info.  Looks very nice.  I assume you booked on your own and not through HA?  Nothing like hot dogs and champagne!!  Will follow along your review.  Hoping to get some insight on tours and activities.  May calm seas be with you..  much thanks from Seattle..  

Our land tour in Oct 2023 had the group booked there while we were in Tokyo.  We liked the location and the hotel itself, so we decided to go with what we were familiar with.

• Thanks 1

Thursday morning we had our second half of our History of Japan with Dr Kam.  We picked it up at 1868.  Japan had been forced to open it's trading boarders, the sumari had been defeated and stripped of their status as the warrior class; the emperor began conscripting troops and we see the beginning of the imperial army/navy.  Japan, realizing that they have no natural resources, begins eyeing their neighbors (Korea) and begins their quest to expand onto the Asian continent.  They were still wary of Westerners, and felt that those countries did not see/treat the Japanese as equals.  The trading with the Westerners included guns and other heavy arms which made Japan the strongest Asian nation.  The Japanese adapted the western countries practice of colonizing neighboring islands and parts of the Asian mainland (Parts of China and of course Korea).  On the positive side, Japan also copied China's universal education system.

During World War I, Japan was an ally with the US.  At some point, there was a treaty/agreement between Japan and the US/Western countries that Japan felt was unfair and which didn't acknowledge Japan as the significant power in the region that it was. 

Japan continued it colonizing and outright aggressive take over of neighboring countries for natural resources, and finally for military security and attacks Pearl Harbor in 1941.  We all know what happens after that.

Dr. Kam's lectures are standing room only.  I wish the ship had given him an hour and 15 minutes to get through all the material.  I think yesterday' s might have been only 45 minutes.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

Thursday morning we had our second half of our History of Japan with Dr Kam.  We picked it up at 1868.  Japan had been forced to open it's trading boarders, the sumari had been defeated and stripped of their status as the warrior class; the emperor began conscripting troops and we see the beginning of the imperial army/navy.  Japan, realizing that they have no natural resources, begins eyeing their neighbors (Korea) and begins their quest to expand onto the Asian continent.  They were still wary of Westerners, and felt that those countries did not see/treat the Japanese as equals.  The trading with the Westerners included guns and other heavy arms which made Japan the strongest Asian nation.  The Japanese adapted the western countries practice of colonizing neighboring islands and parts of the Asian mainland (Parts of China and of course Korea).  On the positive side, Japan also copied China's universal education system.

During World War I, Japan was an ally with the US.  At some point, there was a treaty/agreement between Japan and the US/Western countries that Japan felt was unfair and which didn't acknowledge Japan as the significant power in the region that it was. 

Japan continued it colonizing and outright aggressive take over of neighboring countries for natural resources, and finally for military security and attacks Pearl Harbor in 1941.  We all know what happens after that.

Dr. Kam's lectures are standing room only.  I wish the ship had given him an hour and 15 minutes to get through all the material.  I think yesterday' s might have been only 45 minutes.

Are they holding these in the World Stage Main Show Room?

I have to admit this sounds really good compared to Princess. we too have done 2 Japan cruises on the Diamond in 2017 and 2019. They did not offer anything like this but then again often a good majority of the passengers were from Japan so no need to. But I had read often that Princess offered Japanese Tea Ceremonies and to sign up to try on a Japanese Kimono but that never happened on either of our two cruises. They did bring on Japanese and South Korea Talent on board and was quite good but that was really the only thing special.

After the lecture we headed back to the stateroom and saw the sunshine on our balcony.  I grabbed by fleece jacket, a hat to shield my eyes, and the HAL fleece balcony blanket and sat outside reading for nearly one hour.  It was wonderful to be outside in the fresh air with the sun on my face 

Lunch was in the dining room, and I can recommend the  Dutch  apple and bacon pancake starter  After lunch I had my usual afternoon Chai Tea Latte.  I did find that there is a insulated mug for sale in the gift shop that I can buy ($25).  So now I can't complain about walking around with the to go paper cup.  😂

Around lunchtime the seas had become rougher.  The ship was rolling and pitching.  It was a challenge walking around the rest of the day, and all thru the evening.  Luckily, most folks continued their routines and did the the best they could navigating the walkways.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

I was not too impressed with Dr. Kam last year; l found he basically only regurgitated what was on his slides although he had a pleasant delivery. Hopefully he has updated his content since last year as most of it was rather outdated…e.g. surveys about social media use in Japan are not much use when figures are a decade old.

Edited by cruisemom42

Despite the rolling seas, we decided that Thursday was the day to finally begin using our Thermal Suite pass that we pre purchased before the cruise ($149).  The last time we were on the Westerdam was about 17 years ago and we had the Thermal Suite pass then as well.  I had a vague recollection of an end shower in the ladies locker room having a floor to ceiling window looking outwards to the sea.  My memory was nearly correct, as it was a changing room, and there were curtains if one was modest.

We were there about 2:15, and there were no more than 6 people in the therapy pool - which with the rough seas definitely sloshing around.  When we walked by the ceramic lounges, they (6) were all occupied, but when I exited the therapy pool area, there was availability, which I took advantage of.  It was all very relaxing, even with the sloshing water.

Our first pre dinner cocktail was at the Ocean Bar listening to the jazz trio - Third Avenue West, again very enjoyable.  After their set ended, we walked down to the Pinnacle Bar (which I like because it's a bit smaller, and it's nice to see the folks all dressed up for their dinner in the Pinnacle Restaurant, which is just across the corridor.  Funny story, the first time we were at the Pinnacle Bar for pre dinner cocktails, I saw so many well dressed folks walking by, I asked my husband in a panic if it was Gala Night and somehow I hadn't known.  And then I realized that all these folks were going to the Pinnacle Restaurant. LOL.

Dinner again was fine, and the table mates lovely.

We finally checked out the dueling piano lounge, which was fun.  Interesting, very few folks were drinking, not even water.  They were just there for the music.

The featured entertainment in the World Stage was the all male singing quartet, Cantare.  We had seen the same set preformed by 4 different singers just about two weeks ago on our Zaandam cruise.  Basically the same set, with some adjustments for the rolling seas.  Still enjoyable.

The past few days we have been setting our clocks back one hour each night in preparation for our big time change.  This means generally waking up earlier than normal, but not really a big deal.  The rocking and rolling continued, but became less so after midnight.

• Like 4

Friday - I am catching up with posting in real time!

Breakfast was in the main dining room.  The problem with the chilliness in the common areas seemed to be fixed by this past Wednesday - so not seeing passengers wearing their coats at dinner.  One of the couples we were seated with had the distinction of being one of those cruising couples who had sold their home and just cruised.  When they are back in the US, they have adult children located in various states that they visit.  Also, as a retired military serviceman, he can take advantage of a deal with various world wide resorts and book a week at a very low rate.  I think these folks said that they were going to be on the Westerdam for 42 or more days.  They will pick up another cruise somewhere else, then head back to Florida (home base) around Christmas, then head to the Caribbean.  Sounds like quite the life.

FYI - I did end up buying that mug in the gift shop.  Now I will feel more secure if I am walking around with a hot Chai Tea Latte or other hot drink.  😉

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

This morning 's lecture was about the Japanese work ethic and the tendency to work yourself to death called Karashi.  Dr Kam discussed the crazy number of overtime hours a typical Salaryman (and woman) will put in at their job.

The lecture began with the end of WWII and the reconstruction of the Japanese economy and the rebuilding of the cities.  Under occupation of the US, and with help from the Marshall Plan,  the Japanese Emperor lost all power and became a figurehead, and the military was dismantled, and  women received more rights. A parliamentary form of government was created.

When the Korean war broke out in 1950, the US and others (Dr Kam said the UN), developed factories in Japan to produce products needed that that war effort.  The cities grew, housing for factory workers was needed, so public housing apartments came into existence, along with an amazing public transportation system.  People moved from the countryside to the cities, going from multigenerational homes, to apartments.  From these early factories, along with the work ethic of the Japanese worker, the economy expanded to consumer goods like color TVs, car, semiconductors, and a host of other products.

• Like 4

@CruiserBruce, guess who the comic is on this transpacific cruise is?  Yes, Buddy Fitzpatrick.

We saw him preform on the Solstice, and a couple of weeks ago on the Zaandam (same routine), and now on the Westerdam - no doubt it will be the same routine.  😲😂🙄

Hoping that for most of the passengers that his comic routine will fresh.

• Like 2

During the Q&A with the Captain, he spoke alone for probably about 40 minutes using slides of the bridge, the engine room, the navigation equipment, the thrusters, the stabilizers, and the two azipods.  Great photos taken either in drydock, or during construction.  You were able to get a sense of how massive these things are.  He also shared weather forecast showing the low weather pressure system that we were in yesterday.  He also shared that we got hit by one large wave we rolled 5 degrees, as opposed to the 3 degrees during the rest of the evening.  The Captain said without the stabilizers, the 5 degree roll would have been more like a 15 degree roll.  😲

The last 20 minutes of the talk was the actual Q&A with thoughtful questions.  Captain van Hoogdslem made himself available afterwards outside the World Stage Theater as a movie (The Last Geisha) was to start playing immediately.  We have seen the Captain around the ship, but didn't know who he was, I am glad we know now.  He is a very gracious gentleman.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Just now, CruiserBruce said:

@Ferry_Watcher, did you see we were operating with only one stern thruster on our cruise? They new one was installed in the last 24 hours at Port Canaveral. Didn't affect us in any way I can determine. 

Did they have to pull it out of service, or work on while in port?

8 hours ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

Did they have to pull it out of service, or work on while in port?

They extended their stay in Port Canaveral...allowing the passengers to see a launch from Kennedy Space Center...while divers did the install. Zaandam is at Ft Lauderdale today, loading for a 73 day Grand South America.

• Thanks 1

We did stop in the World Stage to see if the comedy routine was going to be the same, and it was.  We purposely took seats in the balcony - last row - for a discreet exit, and we left after about 15 minutes.  The material is fine for a first time audience, although a bit dated with the Covid references (talking about doing comedy shows in parking lots, on Zoom, etc).  

After leaving the comedy show we returned to the Ocean Bar (jazz) for the remaining 30 minutes of Third Avenue West's final set of the evening. 

Final task of the evening is to set the time back on our devices back 1 hour.

• Like 2

Headed down to breakfast at about 8:10, and the line stretched back towards the Explorer's Lounge.  Decided to ask for a table for two in hopes that our breakfast would arrive faster, but that wasn't the case.  On the flip side, it's not like we have any other place to be. LOL 

Each day the breakfast menu offers two 'fresh sheet' menu choices.  Today's was Cheese Blintzes, and a Dutch Uitsmijter which is an open faced sandwich of sunny side up eggs on top of ham, cheese and meat on bread (Gouda and ham today). Traditionally in south Holland  this was the "last one for the night before we get thrown out" meal after a night of partying.  We to order both the cheese Blintzes and the Uitsmijter and share.  I think if the Uitsmijter is offered again that we each will order it.

After breakfast we decided to finally book our Pinnacle dinners.  Although we are on the 26 day cruise, we cannot book reservations past October 15th.  There will be a lot of ports-of-call once we begin our cruise around Japan, so we decided to book the Pinnacle twice over the next week or so (and remember that we lose a day crossing the International Date Line).  Hopefully, we can still use our Canaletto perk during the second half of our cruise.

• Like 3

Dr Kam's lecture today (Saturday) was supposed to be Japanese Culture of Self Sacrifice, but on the World Stage video screen it said Etiquette, Food & Drink Customs ( I am paraphrasing). His planned lecture had disappeared from his computer, so he jumped to the next topic. He started off talking about the concept of respect and how important is in Japanese culture.  We then transitioned into the expectation of all Japanese to rigid Japan social norms: "the duck that quacks gets shot", or as our quide from our 2023 Japan trip explained to us: "the nail that sticks out gets hammered down".  You get the idea.

While interesting, he wasted a bit of time talking about business etiquette, which if this was a business trip it would be useful, but it didn't seem relevant to our strictly social visit.  He touched on food, and that it's okay to slurp your ramen; proper chopstick etiquette (never stick your chopsticks upright in a bowl of rice); never pass a piece of food from one person to another using your chopsticks, etc. 

Dr Kam also discussed drink etiquette - that you always pour your companions' drinks for them, and they in turn pour yours.

He also discussed toilets - the correct way to use a squat toilet, and the very civilized, but potentially complicated bidet toilet that is found everywhere.

It was all very helpful, and a good review for us.

Lunch was up in the buffet with our usual Asian salad, and some egg drop soup.

We attended the future cruise presentation focused on the Southern Hemisphere.  Some of the South American cruises sounded intriguing, and a Sydney to Seattle respositioning cruise in 2025 caught my eye.  I can only dream!

After the future cruise presentation, we stopped by the Gallery Bar where it was advertised learn to make a martini ($15), but it was actually learn to make a lemon drop, a Cosmo and/or a margarita.  I was hoping for the martini lesson, but the bartender was nice, and the drinks were fine.

Tonight is Dressy night, so that should be fun seeing everyone dressed up.  There is one older gentleman who wears a kilt, and I noticed that he was wearing a casual kilt earlier today.  No doubt he will be more formally outfitted this evening.

• Like 3

I wonder if there are any Japanese passengers on board?

We cruised round Japan on the Diamond Princess several years ago and on formal nights the Japanese ladies wore the most beautiful kimonos. It made my dress look very ordinary in comparison!

Enjoying the live review very much, thanks for keeping us all up to date with such detail. 
Hope the sea is calm now.

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Kristal Blade said:

I wonder if there are any Japanese passengers on board?

We cruised round Japan on the Diamond Princess several years ago and on formal nights the Japanese ladies wore the most beautiful kimonos. It made my dress look very ordinary in comparison!

Enjoying the live review very much, thanks for keeping us all up to date with such detail. 
Hope the sea is calm now.

There are Japanese and other Asian passengers on board, but I didn't see any kimonos.  We shared a table with a gentleman this evening who was wearing a tux.  We also saw a gentleman sharing a table for two with a teddy bear.  They were seen on the dance floor at the Rolling Stones Lounge later in the evening.

• Like 2

Do you recall that when I mentioned the jazz band, Third Avenue West, and I said my husband thought it sounded like a Seattle address?  Well, just after laying my head down tonight, I said to my husband, I wonder if Third Avenue West is HAL' s Seattle address?  So I got up and googled it, and it turns out that it is HAL' s address.  LOL

Edited by Ferry_Watcher
  • Haha 3

Good morning my friends, it about 7:30 am Monday morning on the Westerdam.  Last night, Saturday October 7, we crossed the International Date Line resulting in our clocks/devices being turned Forward 23 hours.  The Daily reminded us that Sunday October 8 didn't exit for us, and we moved straight into Monday.

I am guessing that we didn't move clocks forward the full 24 hours was so we keep in pace with moving back out clocks nightly so we are in line with time in Japan.

Happy Monday!

• Like 4