Starting my Wonder research

BillOh

I have some questions. We will be on in a month. We have sailed her sister ships, but not Wonder.

1. Which decks have the secret public balconies to watch the Aqua show or just have a great view?

2. When I looked last week, they did not have any open skating on the schedule. Are they training a new ice cast, or have they decided not to do open skating anymore?

Thanks!

7 minutes ago, blondie from arizona said:

I have some questions. We will be on in a month. We have sailed her sister ships, but not Wonder.

1. Which decks have the secret public balconies to watch the Aqua show or just have a great view?

2. When I looked last week, they did not have any open skating on the schedule. Are they training a new ice cast, or have they decided not to do open skating anymore?

Thanks!

Allure use to have deck 12 use as a sun deck or watch the shows, but I think all of the rear facing decks are not high price cabins. I may check out open skating this time, not sure. 

15 minutes ago, blondie from arizona said:

Thanks!

You can watch it from the rock climbing wall area

16 minutes ago, blondie from arizona said:

Thanks!

Also I think open skating didn’t open up until we were onboard

2 hours ago, Donsyb said:

Also I think open skating didn’t open up until we were onboard

This. You can't book open skating, laser tag, and maybe something else until you board and connect to the ship wifi.

8 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

Keeping in mind food is very subjective, I think Mason Jar is the worst RCI speciality restaurant. I have cruised on Wonder three times. The first two times we tried Mason Jar, but on the third cruise we were with two other couples and we all agreed not to go there (we had the UDP). On the other hand, I think Hooked on Wonder is outstanding. 

Yep, definitely subjective and we all like what we like. We loved Mason Jar brunch (never had dinner and don't plan to) as much last week as we did the first time and can't wait to be back there this summer.

• 2 weeks later...

FWIW, I put in what i think is an extravagant bid on all the sky class suites.   I'm thinking its not likely as this is on a holiday week and the ship seems pretty full.   The only other time I did a Royal Up bid was on Mariner 2 years ago, but right after I bid on a JS, I found the price was next to nothing on an upgrade to SUITE GUARANTEE which netted me a JS cheaper than the min bid.  For this cruise I purchased late and the prices have gone up, I could do other cruises for the price of just upgrading to a JS.   

Since this is our official retirement cruise, I did put in a bid on these suites. Would love to end up in a Crown Loft Suite.  Friends had one on Allure in 2013 and we loved that cabin.  Fingers crossed.

• Like 3

I don't remember if I asked in this thread at all, do they ever let the public out on the bow in this ship? Love being on the bow of the Voyager and Freedom class, but when Oasis Allure came out they only had Diamond events out there, but they quit that in 2016 when we finally made Diamond. Would love to go out there, not sure why.

On 4/8/2024 at 8:17 AM, island lady said:

And most of the time, they don't even let pax out on the "wings" outside the huge Solarium either.  

I wondered about that while watching the sailaway last Sunday, Wonder was docked with her port side facing the terminal, so I saw the wings where empty when she sailed out.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, BillOh said:

I wondered about that while watching the sailaway last Sunday, Wonder was docked with her port side facing the terminal, so I saw the wings where empty when she sailed out.

Have been on Wonder 8 times now.   I can't remember when those wings were open...if at all.  We always liked going out there on Oasis and Harmony.  

• Thanks 2

10 hours ago, OCSC Mike said:

No.

🙁Awww, I enjoy sitting outside to enjoy breakfast but sounds like that’s not an option on Wonder unless on our balcony. Are there any outdoor dining areas on Wonder? We sail April 21 and getting very excited to check her out. 

3 minutes ago, RumRunner01 said:

🙁Awww, I enjoy sitting outside to enjoy breakfast but sounds like that’s not an option on Wonder unless on our balcony. Are there any outdoor dining areas on Wonder? We sail April 21 and getting very excited to check her out. 

El Loco Fresh has outdoor seating and had a small but adequate breakfast buffet last June but no more breakfast when I was on her last month. 🙁 It was pretty empty in June so maybe they discontinued it to save money but I thought it was a nice spot if you just wanted basic breakfast (eggs, bacon, potatoes, etc.) and nice outdoor seating. You could easily take something from WJ up to the tables outside ELF if you wanted. ELF is right above the WJ on Wonder. Just throwing it out there.

Wonder is currently my favorite ship; been on her twice and still excited about the next one in June!

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

I want to thank everyone who participated in this thread!  I've enjoyed it a lot and I accomplished what I set out to do when I started it.   1. I killed time waiting for this cruise.  2.,I did learn quite  a bit about a ship I haven't been on and learned a few things that has changed since my last Royal cruise of 2022, and a few things new about this Oasis class.

Thanks.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, BillOh said:

I killed time waiting for this cruise.

I can definitely relate to this. I obviously know Wonder very well so there's not a ton I can plan or research as far as the shp but I still follow live blogs (for different ships) and over-plan new excursions to pass the time.

I hope it's everything you hope it is and your planning pays off!

EDIT: I'd also love to hear your thoughts whether it's during the cruise or after. As you know, we'll be passing each other as you disembark and we board on June 2nd.

Edited by OCSC Mike
  • Like 2

42 minutes ago, OCSC Mike said:

I

EDIT: I'd also love to hear your thoughts whether it's during the cruise or after. As you know, we'll be passing each other as you disembark and we board on June 2nd.

Thanks for your participation!  About the time you board, I will likely be headed back up I-95 near Georgia. Boy I sure don't want to think about this cruise being over!   

By the way, are you going to the Crew game on May 25?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, BillOh said:

By the way, are you going to the Crew game on May 25?

No, I'm a pretty big fan (albeit not a happy one at the moment; we're a mess) but I hate going downtown. The atmosphere in our stadium can be amazing but between the cost and the traffic, I'm content watching most matches at home.

No need to thank me btw. I like helping others and talking about Wonder is a great way to kill time until I can get back on her.

Edited by OCSC Mike

On 3/25/2024 at 8:32 AM, blondie from arizona said:

Thanks!

Just got back from sailing. The solarium wings are a nice out of the way place to go, but they are not open during sailing. Also, the 'hidden' balcony is in the back by the rock climbing wall on 6 and 7. There is even seating and it was completely empty. 🙂

As for ice skating, it did open, but in the evenings on weird days. It said it was going to be open on Costa Maya day, so we went, but it was CLOSED. Annoyed it was on the schedule but no one there.

We had a great vacation. She is a beautiful ship.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, blondie from arizona said:

Just got back from sailing. The solarium wings are a nice out of the way place to go, but they are not open during sailing.

They are only open when you are in port.  They had a sign there saying that it was only open during port.

On 5/1/2024 at 6:28 AM, OCSC Mike said:

I can definitely relate to this. I obviously know Wonder very well so there's not a ton I can plan or research as far as the shp but I still follow live blogs (for different ships) and over-plan new excursions to pass the time.

I hope it's everything you hope it is and your planning pays off!

And we will be passing you as we embark on June 9th!  Hope all of you have a great cruise and keep her ready for us!

Quick question if anyone knows - do any of the specialty restaurants require a jacket for men?  I'm pretty sure they do not but wanted to check for the men in our party.

• Like 1

And another question:

Will they ask about our transportation after the cruise to determine our group number for getting off the ship?  It's been a minute since we have been on a cruise and I can't remember. 

Several in our group are flying out and we are using private transportation with a pickup time.  I know we can carry our luggage off ourselves but if we can get off in time to make our ride we would prefer to do that.

56 minutes ago, DVC4US said:

do any of the specialty restaurants require a jacket for men?

No, they don’t even require long pants. Pretty much anything other than swimwear or tank tops goes. There are no actual dress codes, just suggestions.