Starting my Wonder research

BillOh

Wonder is now one of our favorite ships! We went last May and everything about the ship was truly amazing! There is so much to do, so much food options and plenty of great entertainment. The number one thing we absolutely loved was the Vue Bar. It is located next door to the Solarium, and we found ourselves here every single night enjoying a glass of wine before dinner or watching the ship sail away from the port. It was never that busy either, because it is a little hidden. Also, the specialty dining options blew us away. You absolutely must try Mason Jar, for bother brunch and dinner. This is a restaurant that I wish was on every ship, the food, drinks and musical entertainment every night was AMAZING. If you get to try out the Mason Jar, my favorites from dinner were the Smoky Deviled Eggs and the Blueberry Johnnycakes (the sweet and savory are incredible). AND PLLEEASSEE try the Deep Fried Oreos. Life changing. Now from the brunch menu, I almost tried the entire menu, because why not. But I highly recommend, the Stuffed French toast (PERFECTION). Might as well try the cinnamon roll as well 🙂 Have an amazing time on Wonder, you are going to LOVE IT. 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, livetravelcruise07 said:

Now from the brunch menu, I almost tried the entire menu, because why not. But I highly recommend, the Stuffed French toast (PERFECTION).

I probably posted this already but I'm too lazy to scroll through it all.

Couldn't agree more about Mason Jar brunch and the stuffed french toast (and the johnny cakes, chicken n waffles, etc.) Like you, our extended family of 8 tried most of the menu last June. Now that it will just be me and my wife, I have to figure out a plan for still ordering a good chunk of the menu. I think most of that cinnamon roll is likely coming back to our cabin.

The blackberry moonshine lemonade was a great brunch drink as well.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, OCSC Mike said:

Couldn't agree more about Mason Jar brunch and the stuffed french toast (and the johnny cakes, chicken n waffles, etc.) Like you, our extended family of 8 tried most of the menu last June. Now that it will just be me and my wife, I have to figure out a plan for still ordering a good chunk of the menu. I think most of that cinnamon roll is likely coming back to our cabin.

I hope this restaurant will be going on more of the ships, seems like everyone enjoys it! I've never come across a menu where we literally were not disappointed with any of the menu items! 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, livetravelcruise07 said:

I hope this restaurant will be going on more of the ships, seems like everyone enjoys it! I've never come across a menu where we literally were not disappointed with any of the menu items! 

Utopia will have it. And I agree it was one of the best meals I've ever had on a ship.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, livetravelcruise07 said:

Time to book another cruise then 😂

Given than I have a few Utopia cruises from last week's release on hold as we speak... I concur! 🤣 Wife said 5 times on Wonder was enough and if we do B2B's on Utopia we'll spend nothing on excursions since it's just CocoCay/Nassau which helps with the overall cost. That's my logic at least.

• Like 2

I went ahead and booked the thermal suite for my wife and I .  I'll report back in June.  In typical Royal wierdness on their website, it was tricky to book.   It clearly says 7 day pass, but it makes you pick a time and date for each person before you book. 

• 2 weeks later...

Finally under 75 days,m  many thanks again to the people here who have helped me pass the time and be more Wonder-aware.   After paying off the cruise, I had enough reward points to get $250 OBC for this cruise.   I know there are better rewards cards, but I've had the BOA Royal card for 15 years, It is so much easier to redeem those points now than it use to be!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, BillOh said:

Finally under 75 days,m  many thanks again to the people here who have helped me pass the time and be more Wonder-aware.   After paying off the cruise, I had enough reward points to get $250 OBC for this cruise.   I know there are better rewards cards, but I've had the BOA Royal card for 15 years, It is so much easier to redeem those points now than it use to be!

I love my BOA Visa card!  It's my second card that I use for traveling and for paying off RCI cruises.  Nice with the no annual fee as well.  🙂 

I just pulled 2K OBC for 4th quarter World Cruise on Serenade, which paid for most of my excursions I booked for the last 62 night quarter.  

Paying off both quarters of the WC with that card definitely put those points up there.  😉 

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

It's been 171 days since I started this thread and I have 65 more to go.  Many thanks to all of you who have contributed to my education/entertainment.   @teera143 your videos were exceptional including the pre cruise ones in Spain.  Thanks to @Ourusualbeach and @OCSC Mike for your many contributions.

Time for my next question.   My wife and I use the stairs a lot on cruises to keep our weight under control and we have always enjoyed the art in the stairwells, especially on the Oasis class.  I bet I can find a dozen or so photos of Oasis class Stairwell Art.  Anyone have any pictures from Wonder?

Below is from Symphony (I think they want you to touch the art here)

IMG_7913.JPG

• Like 4

4 hours ago, BillOh said:

Time for my next question.   My wife and I use the stairs a lot on cruises to keep our weight under control and we have always enjoyed the art in the stairwells, especially on the Oasis class.  I bet I can find a dozen or so photos of Oasis class Stairwell Art.  Anyone have any pictures from Wonder?

Try this article: https://www.blueplanetjourney.com/2022/11/cruise-ship-art-observations-from.html?m=1

We’ll be in Wonder in two weeks. So I used that for a scavenger hunt for my boys -Seth

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Arzeena said:

Why didn't I see this thread before???!!!!!!! I love the Wonder! Great ship and our "homeport" PC.

For now, will miss her when she leaves.  😞   Not really a fan of the large ships any longer, but we do adore the Wonder.  Mostly due to all the GS cabins being so convenient to CK/SL.  😉 

• Like 2

Next questions are  regarding the cups for the Coke Freestyle machines.  Anyone have a picture of the current cups?  This is pretty low on the importance scale, but I am curious.  Next, Pre-covid the cups were in your room when you finally got there, but I think I remember from my 2 post shutdown cruises that you picked them up somewhere at a table either near the Windjammer or on the promenade on day 1.    Has that changed?

And a silly question that just happens because I am in cruise brain mode now. I've noticed when  you get to use the cups, the machine generally tells you when the cups expire and it always seems to be 2 weeks. I've never done a B2B, so I am curious if someone buys it for a week and then doesn't get it for the 2nd week, does it still work?  Save your moral outrage, I'm just wondering.  Although we may try a B2B in the future when we are retired.

• Haha 1

Hey @BillOh,

Just got off Wonder this morning. I don't think I have any answers to your recent questions but I posted a ton in a live blog on that other site if you haven't seen it.

We had a WONDERful time as expected. Can't wait to be back aboard in 10 weeks!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OCSC Mike said:

Hey @BillOh,

Just got off Wonder this morning. I don't think I have any answers to your recent questions but I posted a ton in a live blog on that other site if you haven't seen it.

We had a WONDERful time as expected. Can't wait to be back aboard in 10 weeks!

Happy to hear you enjoyed your time, my soccer loving friend.  😉  

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 3/22/2024 at 7:46 AM, BillOh said:

It's been 171 days since I started this thread and I have 65 more to go.  Many thanks to all of you who have contributed to my education/entertainment.   @teera143 your videos were exceptional including the pre cruise ones in Spain.  Thanks to @Ourusualbeach and @OCSC Mike for your many contributions.

IMG_7913.JPG

Hi Bill,

I'm assuming you meant my videos ;o)  The link you had was for someone else.  I'm glad you found them helpful.  That's my entire purpose for my channel is to help people research on locations and to see what there is to see in case they are considering these types of vacations.

I had thought about doing a video on the onboard art, but wimped out ;o).  Is that something y'all are interested in seeing?  I'm getting ready to board Radiance in 2 weeks after her drydock for the Panama Canal full transit and I can shoot some video there as a demo.  Would love to get some ideas if folks are interested in that type of stuff.  We'll also be on the Allure WB TA in October 2025.  Definitely going to do a lot more videos of her after her refurbishment.

In the meantime, have a fantastic cruise!  Wonder was a delightful ship to be on.  So much to see and enjoy.

Edited by Teeara

On 3/22/2024 at 12:38 PM, SB9 said:

Try this article: https://www.blueplanetjourney.com/2022/11/cruise-ship-art-observations-from.html?m=1

We’ll be in Wonder in two weeks. So I used that for a scavenger hunt for my boys -Seth

Wow!  That was great.  Wish I had noticed all of that art ;o)  The scavenger hunt idea is genius for your boys.

18 hours ago, BillOh said:

Next questions are  regarding the cups for the Coke Freestyle machines.  Anyone have a picture of the current cups?  This is pretty low on the importance scale, but I am curious.  Next, Pre-covid the cups were in your room when you finally got there, but I think I remember from my 2 post shutdown cruises that you picked them up somewhere at a table either near the Windjammer or on the promenade on day 1.    Has that changed?

And a silly question that just happens because I am in cruise brain mode now. I've noticed when  you get to use the cups, the machine generally tells you when the cups expire and it always seems to be 2 weeks. I've never done a B2B, so I am curious if someone buys it for a week and then doesn't get it for the 2nd week, does it still work?  Save your moral outrage, I'm just wondering.  Although we may try a B2B in the future when we are retired.

To answer your cup question, I have done several B2Bs, most recently on Wonder last year. On every second cruise the cup I used for the first cruise didn’t work on the second cruise. I don’t know how it works software wise since I have noticed the date every cruise like you mentioned, but I have always had to get a new cup for the second cruise. 

On 3/2/2024 at 6:50 PM, OCSC Mike said:

Keeping in mind food is very subjective, I think Mason Jar is the worst RCI speciality restaurant. I have cruised on Wonder three times. The first two times we tried Mason Jar, but on the third cruise we were with two other couples and we all agreed not to go there (we had the UDP). On the other hand, I think Hooked on Wonder is outstanding. 

23 hours ago, BillOh said:

All my recent cruises you've had to pick up the soda cup at a bar, or the first day they will have a table out with them.

It used to be possible to use the same cup on back to back cruises; but Royal reportedly fixed it. The cup has an RFID in it, and when you first use it in one of the machines, that id is given an expiration date for 2 weeks after the current date. The cups used to be good until that expiration date, regardless of cruise length. However, at some point they started manually over-riding and expiring all activated id's at the end of each cruise. This is sometimes seems to get forgotten, so you'll see the odd reports of people using the same cup on b2b's still; but doesn't work most of the time.

On 1/5/2024 at 3:02 PM, BillOh said:

Any reviews of El Loco Fresh?  Haven't visited one of them yet. 

Make up your own rather than the pre made stuff, that was bland. You will

meed to add hot sauce etc but we enjoyed it.

• Like 1

So we sailed early December on Wonder. Some pros and cons compared to oasis which we sailed on the year before.

wonder is newer, we loved the Vue bar as you can actually sit outside with a view and drink. Liked wonderland, really like hooked and Izumi hibachi, (none of which we did on oasis), and liked 150CP (which we did do on oasis).

we did MTD with reservations and never waited more than 5/10 minutes to get seated, longest wait was on lobster night.

Enjoyed the aqua show - not as good as aqua80 but still good. Saw it a few times - even if you don’t have reservations you can usually get a seat or watch from the back.

ice show was better than oasis. Voices and effectors were just ok. I wish they had a proper broadway show.