Uber at the Sydney Cruise Port & Sydney Airport

Best advice for booking an Uber at the Sydney International Terminal upon arrival to get to the CBD hotel? And again at the end of the cruise back to the Sydney International Airport?

Where does Uber pick up from at the airport and at the dock?
TIA

Edited by Worldtraveler 4727
addition

• Worldtraveler 4727 changed the title to Uber at the Sydney Cruise Port & Sydney Airport

I'm not sure about the airport but the cruise terminal is easy. Wait until you're outside the terminal building near the pick-up / drop-off zone and book your Uber. Then watch for it to arrive, it's usually there within minutes at the OPT, but may take a bit longer if you're docked at White Bay.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Worldtraveler 4727 said:

Best advice for booking an Uber at the Sydney International Terminal upon arrival to get to the CBD hotel? And again at the end of the cruise back to the Sydney International Airport?

Where does Uber pick up from at the airport and at the dock?
TIA

Why ? I would just get a taxi . You cannot book ahead they work on a first in first serve  . Anyway here is a link to uber .

https://www.uber.com/au/en/drive/sydney/airports/syd/#:~:text=There is a Limo Pickup,the International Terminal (T1).

2 hours ago, Hogbay said:

Why ? I would just get a taxi . You cannot book ahead they work on a first in first serve  . Anyway here is a link to uber .

https://www.uber.com/au/en/drive/sydney/airports/syd/#:~:text=There is a Limo Pickup,the International Terminal (T1).

Why NOT get a taxi?? This is just one of the bits of information available from a local in Sydney:

"I have caught hundreds/thousands of taxi's in my lifetime for work. The sad reality is that the majority of taxi's will try to overcharge you if they can.

Here are the most common ways in my experience:

1. They put the night rate on during the day time (you can check this on the meter. Depending on the meter, 1 = day time rate, 2 = night time rate). You need to check this at the beginning of the trip and call it out immediately if you spot they're on the wrong rate.

2. They will add extra tolls at the end of the ride. FYI, the NSW taxy levy is $1.20, this is automatically added to the fare

3. If you are crossing the Harbour Bridge, they may try to add the toll twice (you're only supposed to pay once regardless of which direction you are travelling)

4. They may try to charge you the airport fee twice

5. If you are catching a maxi, they can only charge you the higher rate IF you have 5 or more passengers. Otherwise they must charge you as if you have caught a regular taxi

6. When paying by credit card, they may try to input a higher fare amount into the EFTPOS system, please check before you pay. Note that there will be a credit card fee added on top automatically (don't let them add additional on top).

Things to watch out for:

1. If they obstruct the view of the meter (e.g. by placing a water bottle in front, their hand resting on the gear stick etc.)

2. If they make chit chat with you just BEFORE you arrive at your destination (this is to distract you and a chance for them to add extra charges to the fare without you knowing)

If you end up in a situation where you feel you have been overcharged:

1. Check that you are on the appropriate rate (day vs night)

2. Ask them to explain the breakdown of additional fees (and cross check with above list)

3. Take note of their taxi number

4. Threaten to report them if they don't charge you the correct fare

Any complaints can be made directly to their taxi company (as long as you have their taxi number and time of trip)"

Thus...with Uber I like knowing the total cost up front. I don't need the above potential hassles. 

And, thank you for the link, but I can Google information as well as anyone.

I am looking for "best advice" from CC members who will kindly give me first-hand information.

Thank you.

• Like 2

Lol. All that may be possible, and not all Uber drivers are angels either.

I can't say I have experienced any of that. For coming in from overseas, pre-paying Uber makes much sense though. Sorry, I haven't used Uber at the airport or cruise terminals.

8 minutes ago, arxcards said:

Lol. All that may be possible, and not all Uber drivers are angels either.

I can't say I have experienced any of that. For coming in from overseas, pre-paying Uber makes much sense though. Sorry, I haven't used Uber at the airport or cruise terminals.

Perhaps there are Uber drivers who are not angels, but I'd rather "dance with the devil I know" i.e. charges known upfront with Uber.

*Looking for advice from CC members who have used the Uber service from the airport to a CBD hotel and from the cruise port to the airport. Thanks.

8 minutes ago, ScottishRobbie said:

Assuming you're docking at the OPT, If you're going to to the straight to the airport at the end of the cruise, it would probable also be a good idea to research getting the train from Circular Quay.

*Looking for best advice from CC members who have used the Uber service from the airport to a CBD hotel and from the cruise port to the airport. Thanks.

4 hours ago, Worldtraveler 4727 said:

Is an UberX big enough for two people and two suitcases each? Or is an UberXL necessary?

TIA!

So far we've booked Uber Comfort but that's been pushing it a bit with cruise luggage. We haven't used UberXL yet but will probably do so later this month when we fly to Japan. 

It depends on the size of the suitcases I guess, we usually have two medium-large spinners, two overnight bags which fit on top of the spinners, and two wheeled carry-ons. For one cruise we had to take an extra smaller spinner suitcase and that was really pushing the luggage space issue.

Note: we live in Sydney so just Uber from home to cruise terminal and vice versa. Taxis are OK from the airport but usually a bit more expensive.

1 hour ago, Worldtraveler 4727 said:

Why NOT get a taxi?? This is just one of the bits of information available from a local in Sydney:

"I have caught hundreds/thousands of taxi's in my lifetime for work. The sad reality is that the majority of taxi's will try to overcharge you if they can.

Here are the most common ways in my experience:

1. They put the night rate on during the day time (you can check this on the meter. Depending on the meter, 1 = day time rate, 2 = night time rate). You need to check this at the beginning of the trip and call it out immediately if you spot they're on the wrong rate.

2. They will add extra tolls at the end of the ride. FYI, the NSW taxy levy is $1.20, this is automatically added to the fare

3. If you are crossing the Harbour Bridge, they may try to add the toll twice (you're only supposed to pay once regardless of which direction you are travelling)

4. They may try to charge you the airport fee twice

5. If you are catching a maxi, they can only charge you the higher rate IF you have 5 or more passengers. Otherwise they must charge you as if you have caught a regular taxi

6. When paying by credit card, they may try to input a higher fare amount into the EFTPOS system, please check before you pay. Note that there will be a credit card fee added on top automatically (don't let them add additional on top).

Things to watch out for:

1. If they obstruct the view of the meter (e.g. by placing a water bottle in front, their hand resting on the gear stick etc.)

2. If they make chit chat with you just BEFORE you arrive at your destination (this is to distract you and a chance for them to add extra charges to the fare without you knowing)

If you end up in a situation where you feel you have been overcharged:

1. Check that you are on the appropriate rate (day vs night)

2. Ask them to explain the breakdown of additional fees (and cross check with above list)

3. Take note of their taxi number

4. Threaten to report them if they don't charge you the correct fare

Any complaints can be made directly to their taxi company (as long as you have their taxi number and time of trip)"

Thus...with Uber I like knowing the total cost up front. I don't need the above potential hassles. 

And, thank you for the link, but I can Google information as well as anyone.

I am looking for "best advice" from CC members who will kindly give me first-hand information.

Thank you.

Whenever we are in Sydney, we use taxis and have never had any of that happen. I have read and heard of dodgy Uber drivers too. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, possum52 said:

Whenever we are in Sydney, we use taxis and have never had any of that happen. I have read and heard of dodgy Uber drivers too. 

The main problem we had with Sydney taxis in the past is they would refuse to pick up short distance fares when booked. Several times we had taxis booked to go to nearby restaurants or friends places and they just didn't turn up. One taxi company insisted the taxi had arrived, waited five minutes but I never showed up. It must have been an invisible taxi as I had been waiting in our carport for 15 minutes. So now we only use taxis as a last resort.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ
  • Like 1

On Monday morning (a public holiday), Uber quoted $24 from Potts Point to the NSW Art Gallery.  We just flagged down a taxi instead for $15.  No traffic on roads, maybe Uber drivers were taking a holiday.  

On Tuesday, we caught an airport train from Circular Quay and from Wynyard to the airport.  Both the train stations and the airport have lifts for luggage.  I find travelling by train solo the most convenient and I'm a senior.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Worldtraveler 4727 said:

The taxi industry is highly regulated and drivers pay high price for a taxi licence .  The A Local in Sydney should report all those illegal activities to the authorities . I lived and worked Sydney for 40 years and visit there every  Sydney cruise day post covid. We have used uber and have had booked fair not show and the info from the link was to let other uber CC lovers know that you cannot book a uber from the international air port but a first serve basis , no availability no ride . 

Regards . Mr Hogbay 

• Like 3

• 5 months later...

Well, for this traveler, we will not use taxi to/from SYD.

Was going to use UBER XL for AU$70 range to Darling Harbor from the airport, freaked out not knowing what pick up point to use so we opt for taxi just outside of arrival hall.  Jet lagged and 11 hours of flight delay didn't help my judgement.  After 10~15 mins of driving, we can still see the runway on our left!  The driver took us on a scenic route that end up costing AU$97.  Maybe this is the going rate for night travel...

From the port we have 6 people and UBER XL also showed AU$60 range.  We were worry not knowing the size of the XL will hold our luggage and didn't want to split up.  So, we went to the taxi line instead.  At 8am, there was no one there but us.  They called a larger handicap van from the line up and I made a mistake of confirming that we are Americans when driver asked us.  Once all the bags are loaded and we took our seats, the driver told us it would be AU$25 per person to Int'l airport and not by meter.  At this price we could easily ordered 2 XLs and with money left over.  Just felt cheated and left a bad taste in our mouths.

2 minutes ago, 168G said:

Well, for this traveler, we will not use taxi to/from SYD.

Was going to use UBER XL for AU$70 range to Darling Harbor from the airport, freaked out not knowing what pick up point to use so we opt for taxi just outside of arrival hall.  Jet lagged and 11 hours of flight delay didn't help my judgement.  After 10~15 mins of driving, we can still see the runway on our left!  The driver took us on a scenic route that end up costing AU$97.  Maybe this is the going rate for night travel...

From the port we have 6 people and UBER XL also showed AU$60 range.  We were worry not knowing the size of the XL will hold our luggage and didn't want to split up.  So, we went to the taxi line instead.  At 8am, there was no one there but us.  They called a larger handicap van from the line up and I made a mistake of confirming that we are Americans when driver asked us.  Once all the bags are loaded and we took our seats, the driver told us it would be AU$25 per person to Int'l airport and not by meter.  At this price we could easily ordered 2 XLs and with money left over.  Just felt cheated and left a bad taste in our mouths.

There are two ways to get to/from the Sydney International Terminal and both take about the same amount of time. One way is past the Domestic Terminal, the other goes the opposite way hrough some tunnels and loops back around. Since you said you still had the runway on your left after leaving the airport it sounds like your taxi went via the second route. If Uber was quoting $70 then a maxi taxi fare of $97 would not surprise me as taxis in Sydney are usually more expensive than Uber.

I've heard that some taxi drivers are trying the flat rate per person trick. It sounds like you were charged the meter rate from the airport but you got scammed going back to the airport from the cruise terminal. You should have demanded the driver use the meter and if they refused then demanded they unload your luggage again. 

Note - typically an Uber XL can take six passengers without much luggage or four passengers with luggage.