Australia visa fee

uncleg44

Did you download the Australian ETA app?  If so:

After you have downloaded and opened the app on your mobile device, you need to:

• scan your passport to pre-fill your name, date of birth, passport number and other details
  • take a photo of yourself
  • answer some questions, including whether you have any criminal convictions, any prior names and contact details in Australia
  • pay the service fee  AUD 20 
  • submit the application.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, uncleg44 said:

I will make several cruise stops in Australia (Feb. 2024). I've attempted to apply for online visa but find it very confusing. I'm not tech-savvy. Any suugestions would be most appreciated.   GF

As of last year, the inexpensive and immediate way for Australian ETA visa is by using a smart phone. I agree with you that the on-line way using a smart phone can be frustrating. One has to really look at those videos. All the steps are easy except the scan for "Reading The Passport eChip"-- even though I am tech savvy it was hit and miss even for me using an i-phone. Just keep at it or seek help from some friends!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, waltd said:

And what is the work around for those that don't have a smart phone?    Can it be done on a laptop?

Thanks

Sadly NO because it has to be done using the Aus ETA app. Laptops that I am familiar with cannot download the ETA app. And even if one is able to download the app, laptops cannot directly scan to the App. I generally use my iPad for many Apps eg. Princess Medallion App. But I was unsuccessful using iPad for the Aus ETA App. So I had to use DW's iPhone.

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, startedwithamouse said:

Download the app, it will ask a series of questions and guide you to the proper one. 

When was the last time you applied for Aus ETA visa?  I ONLY post when I have specific knowledge and have gone through the process.

31 minutes ago, LouCoop said:

Just curious, does this mean that someone who doesn't own a smart phone cannot enter Australia?

Of course not,  you can use a tablet/IPad, etc. to get the ETA/EVisa. I was able to do on my IPad. Or pay 3rd party services at a much higher cost. If you personally do not have smart device, see if any friends/acquaintances have.

• Thanks 1

I used the Australian ETA app about a month ago.  Be patient with the photo.  I had to take about 30 photos to get it to work.  I kept getting a message indicating face quality was inadequate. 🤬 

8 hours ago, sultan_sfo said:

As of last year, the inexpensive and immediate way for Australian ETA visa is by using a smart phone. I agree with you that the on-line way using a smart phone can be frustrating. One has to really look at those videos. All the steps are easy except the scan for "Reading The Passport eChip"-- even though I am tech savvy it was hit and miss even for me using an i-phone. Just keep at it or seek help from some friends!

1 hour ago, skents said:

I used the Australian ETA app about a month ago.  Be patient with the photo.  I had to take about 30 photos to get it to work.  I kept getting a message indicating face quality was inadequate. 🤬 

Can relate to both these posts🤣

As you both say, just keep trying it until it works and watch the videos on how to do it.

My photo took a couple of tries but my wife maybe a dozen attempts. Reading the passport chip took me a dozen times before it read it and my wife got hers to read the first try ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Cheers

• Like 1

9 hours ago, AZjohn said:

Can relate to both these posts🤣

As you both say, just keep trying it until it works and watch the videos on how to do it.

My photo took a couple of tries but my wife maybe a dozen attempts. Reading the passport chip took me a dozen times before it read it and my wife got hers to read the first try ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Cheers

I was fortunate that it only took a few tries for our Australian visas but oh my goodness trying to scan our passports for United Airlines nearly drove me crazy.  

• Like 1

21 hours ago, sultan_sfo said:

When was the last time you applied for Aus ETA visa?  ...

13 hours ago, startedwithamouse said:

Last month.

We're on the Majestic next week going to Australia.

Thank you.  I used  the Aus ETA Visa App over a year ago (when it was first introduced) -- will need to use it again next month (Nov). Hopefully the later upgrades have improved the App.

I do not have a smartphone. Can anyone recommend a legitimate third party service which can assist in obtaining visa? I have been attempting to download ETA on my laptop multiple times. I spoke directly with Australia Immigration customer rep (2am US time) who was sympathetic but made it clear that Australian visas can be obtained online only.

On 10/4/2023 at 12:39 PM, waltd said:

And what is the work around for those that don't have a smart phone?    Can it be done on a laptop?

Thanks

No as your laptop cannot read the chip in the passport. Newer tablets usually can do it.  However have seen airline personnel do it.

Am sure you have a friend who has a smartphone.

There are 3rd party companies that charge anywhere from$80 to $200, but cannot imagine you do not know someone with a smartphone.  As a last resort go at opening time to a phone provider - Verizon  or ? - and ask for help.  Maybe some $$.

I note several of the 3rd party websites are SCAMS.  Reported in local Australian news.  Careful.

Edited by Arizona Wildcat

Have not attempted it yet. Did do the New Zealand one by laptop and except for the photo that one was easy.

I do have someone to help with the Australian one. They make it challenging for us older folks.

Thanks All for your advise. 

• 2 weeks later...

It’s much easier to scan your passport chip if you take the phone out of the case. Unfortunately I don’t remember which feature it was, but I needed to go into settings and enable something in order to do the scan. IIRC the instructions informed me that this was needed. 
I had difficulty getting the photo in selfie mode, so I switched to regular camera and had someone else take the picture.