Live From Nieuw Amsterdam Through the Panama Canal Followed by One Week in the Caribbean

Crew News

55 minutes ago, regan3 said:

Do you have any upcoming trips planned on Nieuw Amsterdam so you can report on the upgrades?

I’m Not @Crew News but I will be on the Nieuw Amsterdam in March 2024 (chartered trip), so I can try to give some updates.  (But this is a special charter and there are specialized decorations that the charter company brings on board for us so I’m not certain if my pictures will be any help.)

• Like 1

Question for any veteran cruisers who are on Nieuw Amsterdam now: is this level of weather-inspired “rockin and rollin” normal, abnormal, or really crazy?

I am definitely experiencing motion sickness today, which I did not have at all  on our lovely first day and night from Florida to Nassau. Gonna have to decide, eventually, if this rules me out from future cruises…

• Like 1

12 hours ago, sdc67 said:

Question for any veteran cruisers who are on Nieuw Amsterdam now: is this level of weather-inspired “rockin and rollin” normal, abnormal, or really crazy?

I am definitely experiencing motion sickness today, which I did not have at all  on our lovely first day and night from Florida to Nassau. Gonna have to decide, eventually, if this rules me out from future cruises…

It is the storm season in the Caribbean so things are a bit choppy because of the wind.  From November to March things are more calm in the Caribbean,  Probably the calmest cruises are in Alaska leaving from Vancouver as they are mostly shielded from the ocean as they sail inside a chain of islands.

Seasick tablets are available at the Front Desk, green apples in the Lido Market, and maybe some ginger candy in the Shops.  My travel kit includes Meclizine tablets, sea bands for the first night, and ginger candy if needed. Your body adjusts.  When the ship gets too bouncy, avoid walking a lot and order room service meals until your brain gets used to the motion,  You will find that your feet walk farther apart when you get off the ship and start getting used to walking on a non-moving surface.  Your brain will be trained for your next cruise.

Hope today is better for you.

• Like 6

@sdc67  I tend to get seasick - the trick is to take the medication ASAP, I use dramamine since I don't care about being tired.  The ship has some meds at the customer service desk or you can buy meds in the shops. Before the medicine starts working just go outside the fresh air really helps.   I know how hard it is to move outside but it immediately helps.  

• Like 1

On 10/24/2023 at 11:11 PM, Shalandara said:

I will be on the Nieuw Amsterdam in March 2024 (chartered trip), so I can try to give some updates.

Can you give me a few details?  Dates and which charter it is?

I will be updating the Dry Docks, Charters and Groups thread over the next few days.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

Can you give me a few details?  Dates and which charter it is?

I will be updating the Dry Docks, Charters and Groups thread over the next few days.

It’s the JoCo2024 charter — I think you already have it on your list.  March 9-16.

• Like 1

On 10/24/2023 at 9:00 AM, Crew News said:

I converted all of my prepaid dining to refundable credit yesterday and retained all of my reservations.  The Front Desk knew exactly what to do and why I was doing it.  Unfortunately, there are more than 2000 other passengers not aware of this process. 

This is good info as I am back on NA in Spring Panama Canal back to Vancouver and we have $500 in on board credits ….but with Have it All I worry we will not use them all. 

We were on the Alaska adventure with you in May and can ensure all that that 13 degree list you talk about was a pretty big adventure with a number of the veteran crew telling me they had never experienced that before. 

question please … in Alaska we struggled to get chocolate milk in the Lido. Any chance if you can find out if it easy to come by now? We love a chocolate milk with coconut rum once in a while🤗

look forward to seeing this change to rolling stone rock room…what are they doing with the space for the old Lincoln center stage. In May it was mostly a place to hold trivia 

cheers and as always love reading your blog

Update: I see you have already answered my dry dock question but would love to hear the story about chocolate milk😂

Edited by redbanshee
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, redbanshee said:

This is good info as I am back on NA in Spring Panama Canal back to Vancouver and we have $500 in on board credits ….but with Have it All I worry we will not use them all. 

We were on the Alaska adventure with you in May and can ensure all that that 13 degree list you talk about was a pretty big adventure with a number of the veteran crew telling me they had never experienced that before. 

question please … in Alaska we struggled to get chocolate milk in the Lido. Any chance if you can find out if it easy to come by now? We love a chocolate milk with coconut rum once in a while🤗

look forward to seeing this change to rolling stone rock room…what are they doing with the space for the old Lincoln center stage. In May it was mostly a place to hold trivia 

cheers and as always love reading your blog

After talking with many crew members who experienced the 13-degree list, I'm thinking about getting some pins made as a memento and giving to anyone that shared this event.  Stay tuned.

I have not seen chocolate milk in the Lido but it is on the Room Service menu.

I am onboard only 10 more hours but I will inquire about the Lincoln Center space.

Still a lot to catch up on this thread.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Crew News said:

When I spoke to the Captain at our Meet & Greet, he rattled off a list and I caught most of it. I don't remember hearing if or when it will be moving.

Maybe that’s what they will do with the old Lincoln Center Stage….look forward to hearing what you can find in your last few hours AND excited for news about the commemorative pin 🤗

• Like 1

What's the 13-degree list story?

The only time I was on NA, in December 2018, I awoke one night around 2am to a phone call in our cabin. It was a friend of ours down the corridor in a panic. "Why is the ship tipping?" I didn't know what she was talking about but then I noticed I nearly rolled out of bed. Indeed, the ship was steaming along with a 10-15 degree list to the port side. It was dramatic. I walked to the balcony door and opened it up to look straight out at the ocean surface. There was wind and rain. Apparently we were passing through a frontal passage and she wind from the storm was hitting the ship broadside. This was in the Carribbean between Grand Cayman and Cozumel.

The next morning I grabbed a coffee early in the crows nest and the crew member looked green. She said everyone she knew below decks had a rough night with lots of vomiting.

I've never experienced this on another ship.

• Like 1

In the Gulf of Alaska this May, the ship experienced 70 knot winds from the starboard side that caused the ship to list 13 degrees (confirmed with the Captain last week) to the port side for approximately four hours.  No rolling from side to side, just leaning to the left.  The Captain provided constant updates with a countdown to when the ship would make the turn into the shelter of some islands ahead.  He epitomized what a captain should be on that day.  From my interviews, I learned that food and dishes went to floor in every restaurant. The PG lost $10000 worth of special plates.  Servers in the Tamarind cried when all that they could see was water.  The MDR could not open until late and then all of the passengers came to dinner at the same time for a very limited menu.  With the exception of the Tamarind Bar, everything was shutdown.  Toilets overflowed and flooded bathrooms.  The Hotel General Manager could not roll his chair uphill to sit behind his desk.  Everything in my room either went to the floor or against the wall.  My desk chair and I were stuck under the desk as the strength to push back was too much. 

The stories are many, "Where were you during the listing?"

When I get home, I will post a photo looking out from my aft stateroom that compares the angle of my railing with the sea level.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 7

6 hours ago, Crew News said:

In the Gulf of Alaska this May, the ship experienced 70 knot winds from the starboard side that caused the ship to list 13 degrees (confirmed with the Captain last week) to the port side for approximately four hours.  No rolling from side to side, just leaning to the left.  The Captain provided constant updates with a countdown to when the ship would make the turn into the shelter of some islands ahead.  He epitomized what a captain should be on that day.  From my interviews, I learned that food and dishes went to floor in every restaurant. The PG lost $10000 worth of special plates.  Servers in the Tamarind cried when all that they could see was water.  The MDR could not open until late and then all of the passengers came to dinner at the same time for a very limited menu.  With the exception of the Tamarind Bar, everything was shutdown.  Toilets overflowed and flooded bathrooms.  The Hotel General Manager could not roll his chair uphill to sit behind his desk.  Everything in my room either went to the floor or against the wall.  My desk chair and I were stuck under the desk as the strength to push back was too much. 

The stories are many, "Where were you during the listing?"

When I get home, I will post a photo looking out from my aft stateroom that compares the angle of my railing with the sea level.

I found this illustration on the Princess board. Definitely challenging. 

IMG_1908.jpeg.4a626b9062a47204dfd0be8db94a8e98.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 10/25/2023 at 7:17 PM, sdc67 said:

There was lots of rockin and a rollin for sure! Though many of my fellow passengers were green around the gills, hubby and I embraced it. It is not the norm by any means. Don't let that discourage you from future cruising but it can happen due to weather. The sky can be beautiful but the seas not!  Midship , lower deck your best bet but if King Neptune is partying, no deck is a good one!

• Like 2