FatBoy20

2 hours ago, FatBoy20 said:

Saga have announced on their Website that from 2025 a Nationwide Chauffer Shared Car Service will be introduced.

Even from places like Wick?

I imagine the chauffeur service will be restricted to the mainland, but some places are so distant from the ports Saga uses that it would necessitate more than one driver to manage the journey, if there are limits on how many hours a driver can work. A car journey from Aberdeen or Wick to Dover would be gruelling.

The small print will be interesting!

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Vivaldi said:

Even from places like Wick?

I imagine the chauffeur service will be restricted to the mainland, but some places are so distant from the ports Saga uses that it would necessitate more than one driver to manage the journey, if there are limits on how many hours a driver can work. A car journey from Aberdeen or Wick to Dover would be gruelling.

The small print will be interesting!

I suspect that over a certain distance they will offer the "car to local airport - flight to London - car to port" option instead. I doubt if they would offer a transfer which necessitated changing drivers on the way.

2 hours ago, Denarius said:

I suspect that over a certain distance they will offer the "car to local airport - flight to London - car to port" option instead. I doubt if they would offer a transfer which necessitated changing drivers on the way.

I'm sure you're absolutely right about the car-to-flight-car-to-port bit. I'm not so confident about the "changing drivers on the way" bit, though.

We had one "interesting" trip to the port a few years ago where we were the second couple to be picked up. The driver (and I think the other couple) started from Liverpool and came across to us in Lincolnshire - quite why it was organised like that, I haven't a clue. The driver told us that he couldn't take us all the way to Dover since he would exceed the hours he was allowed to drive, so we stopped at a motorway service area en route and another car and driver picked us up there for the last stage of the journey. Perhaps there had been a last minute glitch which meant that this was the only way Saga could get us all to the ship on time. Not ideal, but we still had an absolutely splendid cruise.

15 minutes ago, Vivaldi said:

I'm sure you're absolutely right about the car-to-flight-car-to-port bit. I'm not so confident about the "changing drivers on the way" bit, though.

We had one "interesting" trip to the port a few years ago where we were the second couple to be picked up. The driver (and I think the other couple) started from Liverpool and came across to us in Lincolnshire - quite why it was organised like that, I haven't a clue. The driver told us that he couldn't take us all the way to Dover since he would exceed the hours he was allowed to drive, so we stopped at a motorway service area en route and another car and driver picked us up there for the last stage of the journey. Perhaps there had been a last minute glitch which meant that this was the only way Saga could get us all to the ship on time. Not ideal, but we still had an absolutely splendid cruise.

That's an extra hour and a quarter,  and nearly 100 miles  surely  this detour would be unacceptable unless a real emergency 

3 hours ago, Denarius said:

It happened to us on a Titan holiday, we changed driver and Car at a service area part way down the M1, on the way to Gatwick from Yorkshire.

It almost caused us to miss our flight has the second driver was late.

Edited by Bloodaxe

1 hour ago, FatBoy20 said:

The "Nationwide Shared Chauffer Service" could have connotations. Does it mean that the extra costs to Saga (& Customer) might be offset by no Private Car under 75 miles. Interesting!.

Could be. I seem to recall that when the included shared mileage was increased from 250 to 300 the mileage rate for extra miles was also increased. Could also be logic in simplifying the scheme to include a shared car from anywhere (on the mainland?) but an extra mileage charge if you want a private car.

We must remember that this is not free ,  the average cost of the transfer is included in everyone's fare.

For anyone who lives over 200 miles away the now exorbitant cost of private miles means it's often cheaper to hire a third party and forgo the saga offering.

For those who live a long way away and like to travel day before but not drive themselves , Saga is inflexible you must pay  exorbitant private mileage to travel day before. 

The only benefit of Saga transport is its their problem if you are late.

Personally I'd prefer a cheaper cruise, and organise my own transport. Then we can travel when we want, with the certainty of a nice car and direct journey. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

The only benefit of Saga transport is its their problem if you are late.

Saga is also responsible for arranging your transport to marry up with your departure from the ship and they are responsible for any unforseen delays. We have had problems in the past when arranging our own transport when embarking did not go as scheduled so I'm happy not to have that worry.

Further thoughts on this.

Saga have in recent times been co-ordinating their tours and small ship sailings with those of Titan, which they own. Titan have always offered home transport as standard as long as I have been travelling with them (since 2011)  but from my personal experience only offer shared cars. I think that Saga started offering it after they took over Titan. The current Titan brochure states.

"Our friendly drivers will pick you up from home (anywhere on the UK mainland) and take you to the airport, port or your UK hotel. Depending where you live our VIP pickup includes a home transfer and flight from your local airport to London.*

* An extra supplement will apply if you decide you'd rather not take a domestic flight and travel via road."

It could be that Saga will disconinue private cars and bring shared cars in line with Titan.

2 hours ago, Denarius said:

Just got my email re 2025 cruises, which states

Included chauffeur service: Saga's 20‍25 ocean cruises include a private chauffeur service up to 75 miles each way, or a shared service nationwide.

Have you received the January to March 2025 itineraries? If so, are there any other than the usual Caribbean and Canaries itineraries?

1 hour ago, LandC said:

Have you received the January to March 2025 itineraries? If so, are there any other than the usual Caribbean and Canaries itineraries?

Eastern Med, Western Med, Croatia/Adriatic, Portugal/Azores, Northern Lights and 3 Canary Islands cruises. The 49 night Caribbean cruise also takes in Central America, Mexico and USA so very different from the usual one.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, david05 said:

Eastern Med, Western Med, Croatia/Adriatic, Portugal/Azores, Northern Lights and 3 Canary Islands cruises. The 49 night Caribbean cruise also takes in Central America, Mexico and USA so very different from the usual one.

Can you tell me what SOA is doing on 5 Jan 25 please we’ve not received any emails from them yet despite pre registration TIA 

2 hours ago, mklions said:

when will the 2025 cruises appear on the saga website, interested in a Jan/Feb cruise.

Unless you have pre-registered for that particular segment of 2025 (Jan to March or April 2025) you will not see the full list of available cruises until Saga has gone through the process of calling all the people that have pre-registered to give them the option of bagging the best discounts.

They will then open the booking to the general populace.

Could be 2 -4 weeks from now at a rough guess.

In the past some kid souls who have pre-registered have posted a summary of the planned itineraries. But there will be no prices available at this stage so you can be into educated guess territory by comparing costs this year for an equivalent cruise and adding a bit for inflation

Edited by arlowood

5 January SOA Canary Island Hopping 15 nights
6 January SOD Caribbean and Central America Discovery 49 nights
20 January SOA Legends of the Eastern Mediterranean 24 nights
13 February SOA Casablanca and the Canaries 15 nights
24 February SOD Norway and the Northern Lights 16 nights
28 February SOA Croatia and the Treasures of the Adriatic 22 nights
12 March SOD Springtime in the Canaries 14 nights
22 March SOA Portugal and the Tropical Azores 14 nights
26 March SOD The Western Mediterranean and Italian Riviera 18 nights 

There was no easy way to copy directly across from the Saga website so any errors are mine but I accept no responsibility for them!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

9 hours ago, david05 said:

5 January SOA Canary Island Hopping 15 nights
6 January SOD Caribbean and Central America Discovery 49 nights
20 January SOA Legends of the Eastern Mediterranean 24 nights
13 February SOA Casablanca and the Canaries 15 nights
24 February SOD Norway and the Northern Lights 16 nights
28 February SOA Croatia and the Treasures of the Adriatic 22 nights
12 March SOD Springtime in the Canaries 14 nights
22 March SOA Portugal and the Tropical Azores 14 nights
26 March SOD The Western Mediterranean and Italian Riviera 18 nights 

There was no easy way to copy directly across from the Saga website so any errors are mine but I accept no responsibility for them!

Thank you, the 13th Feb Casablanca and Canaries looks appealing .