FatBoy20

55 minutes ago, FatBoy20 said:

I would have expected the Rep to have contacted Saga HQ by E-Mail & advised you of the reply

I asked the rep on the Adventure first part of December when those who had pre-registered would get the 2025 Summer notices, and she said, "probably March-April" - then added, "but they don't tell us these things".

Which does not surprise me - 2 years ago, having a live-chat (with a live human, not a bot) I ended up being told that the live chat on the Saga cruise sector can only quote from the brochure and the website; they have no direct link to the cruise department, so can only give you answers that you could have found out yourself.

Always amazes me why Saga do not make better use of their (usually) excellent staff.

• Like 1

I agree entirely nosapphire and FatBoy20.  Passengers are invited to

pre-register on board, but are obviously going to ask when they are likely to be able to book.  Saga World Rep replies that they haven’t been told, and don’t know when they will be told.  

Very frustrating all round, and Saga HQ need to address this.

Saga just like to do things their way , even if it makes no sense.

For example in 2022 when black sea cruise was cancelled,  I  learnt all the detail about  it on this forum , including new Intinerary, 10 days before they rang me. When I said to good old Nigel Blanks that it was annoying to hear about it first on social media,  and why Saga couldn't email out the details. He was surprised and said , Saga customers like to be phoned up, that is the Saga way. I think that only applies to a small %.  Saga surprisingly  out of touch. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Windsurfboy said:

Saga just like to do things their way , even if it makes no sense.

For example in 2022 when black sea cruise was cancelled,  I  learnt all the detail about  it on this forum , including new Intinerary, 10 days before they rang me. When I said to good old Nigel Blanks that it was annoying to hear about it first on social media,  and why Saga couldn't email out the details. He was surprised and said , Saga customers like to be phoned up, that is the Saga way. I think that only applies to a small %.  Saga surprisingly  out of touch. 

Yes, it would make much more sense to email everybody with the details and a note on the email saying "wait for our call" (rather like the advance registrations). Would save the Saga people from having to go through the revised itinerary each telephone call,as well.

Being fair, when they telephone people individually about a changed/cancelled cruise, that is part of their procedure for trying to give people the best opportunity to switch to a different cruise (or get a full refund).

I understand that other lines simply cancel the booking and let the cancellee join the general scrum if they want to rebook. So I think that the Saga way is better in this instance.** SEE BELOW

Just gets frustrating that on the one hand they seem to want everybody to get technical (I am still muttering about the "take a photo of the port map from your TV screen" - such a stupid idea) and on the other they don't make full use of available tech when it would help people.

** NOTE:

I can probably give an update about this later in the year.

Booked on the "Israel and Ancient Egypt" cruise (booked before the current situation started) and for some odd reason now suspect this may not go ahead quite as per the proposed itinerary.

24 minutes ago, nosapphire said:

Yes, it would make much more sense to email everybody with the details and a note on the email saying "wait for our call" (rather like the advance registrations). Would save the Saga people from having to go through the revised itinerary each telephone call,as well.

Being fair, when they telephone people individually about a changed/cancelled cruise, that is part of their procedure for trying to give people the best opportunity to switch to a different cruise (or get a full refund).

I understand that other lines simply cancel the booking and let the cancellee join the general scrum if they want to rebook. So I think that the Saga way is better in this instance.** SEE BELOW

Just gets frustrating that on the one hand they seem to want everybody to get technical (I am still muttering about the "take a photo of the port map from your TV screen" - such a stupid idea) and on the other they don't make full use of available tech when it would help people.

** NOTE:

I can probably give an update about this later in the year.

Booked on the "Israel and Ancient Egypt" cruise (booked before the current situation started) and for some odd reason now suspect this may not go ahead quite as per the proposed itinerary.

Port Maps were available from Shore Excursions on our August 2023 Cruise so have things changed?.

20 minutes ago, FatBoy20 said:

Port Maps were available from Shore Excursions on our August 2023 Cruise so have things changed?.

Adventure in December, Explore Ashore general tours advice flyer in cabin included the words:

"Please note that we do not provide paper maps on board. ... a digital map as well as port information is displayed on your TV... we suggest that you take a picture of this before heading ashore".

And indeed - no paper maps provided.

Apart from the fact that the digital map did not include any street names (so immediately useless), and only covered a very small area anyway, you had to scroll the TV screen down to get the entire map visible, which makes it rather hard to "take a picture" as suggested.

I think that this is a fairly new idea, probably to save costs, and certainly dreamt up by somebody somewhat detached from reality.

Whether or not it stays this way, or whether or not the passenger complaints will bring back a more useful form of information - no idea.

But (my opinion) one thing that has deteriorated dramatically on the "new" ships is the general information given for port days.

Not nearly as user friendly as used to be.

Bottled water still handed out to everybody at the gangway, though - so not all bad.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, nosapphire said:

Adventure in December, Explore Ashore general tours advice flyer in cabin included the words:

"Please note that we do not provide paper maps on board. ... a digital map as well as port information is displayed on your TV... we suggest that you take a picture of this before heading ashore".

And indeed - no paper maps provided.

Apart from the fact that the digital map did not include any street names (so immediately useless), and only covered a very small area anyway, you had to scroll the TV screen down to get the entire map visible, which makes it rather hard to "take a picture" as suggested.

I think that this is a fairly new idea, probably to save costs, and certainly dreamt up by somebody somewhat detached from reality.

Whether or not it stays this way, or whether or not the passenger complaints will bring back a more useful form of information - no idea.

But (my opinion) one thing that has deteriorated dramatically on the "new" ships is the general information given for port days.

Not nearly as user friendly as used to be.

Bottled water still handed out to everybody at the gangway, though - so not all bad.

Looks like an absolutely stupid penny pinching idea to me. Firstly, it assumes that everyone onboard has a mobile phone with a built in camera; many older people may not. Then it assumes that everyone will be comfortable with getting out their phone in public places ashore to access a map; whilst most ports I would be, there are some in which I would not -  especially if lost. And then it assumes that the map can be displayed on the phone in sufficient detail to be useful; ok if you have a phone the size of a small tablet computer, not so if it is of more modest size.

Bad idea!!

• Like 1

very timely postings above for me to learn that paper maps are no longer supplied. we are  boarding Discovery on thursday  and this morning I was looking out some old paper maps from previous visits/cruises, thinking, 'well any we havent got we can get from the ship'. I have to say, though, that we usually head direct for the local tourist info if we are making our own way in a port and local maps and advice has always been good. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, sleepingcat said:

very timely postings above for me to learn that paper maps are no longer supplied. we are  boarding Discovery on thursday  and this morning I was looking out some old paper maps from previous visits/cruises, thinking, 'well any we havent got we can get from the ship'. I have to say, though, that we usually head direct for the local tourist info if we are making our own way in a port and local maps and advice has always been good. 

I usually head for the local tourist office as well, as their maps are invariably better than those provided onboard. But sometimes I download a map from

https://ontheworldmap.com/ which have free maps for most major ports.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I phoned Saga about another matter today, and also asked when Summer 2025 itineraries would be sent to people who had pre-registered.

I was informed that an ebrochure will be emailed around the end of February.

• Thanks 3

• 4 weeks later...

We received an ocean cruise brochure today, together with an invite to pre-register for summer 2025 cruises, which are coming “very soon”.  We pre-registered some time ago, and hope we won’t have to wait much longer!

The brochure states that from 2025 the shared chauffeur service will be offered nationwide to everyone on the UK mainland.

• Like 1

On 1/1/2024 at 12:19 PM, LandC said:

I agree entirely nosapphire and FatBoy20.  Passengers are invited to

pre-register on board, but are obviously going to ask when they are likely to be able to book.  Saga World Rep replies that they haven’t been told, and don’t know when they will be told.  

Very frustrating all round, and Saga HQ need to address this.

Been going on for many years 

• Like 1

On 2/5/2024 at 3:43 PM, LandC said:

We received an ocean cruise brochure today, together with an invite to pre-register for summer 2025 cruises, which are coming “very soon”.  We pre-registered some time ago, and hope we won’t have to wait much longer!

The brochure states that from 2025 the shared chauffeur service will be offered nationwide to everyone on the UK mainland.

Saga are also sending e-mails out today encouraging preregistration for summer 2025. It just seems bizarre that they are putting resources into preregistration (which you have to do over the phone of course) rather than just getting the cruises out on sale and collecting all those 15% deposits.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Spike11 said:

Saga are also sending e-mails out today encouraging preregistration for summer 2025. It just seems bizarre that they are putting resources into preregistration (which you have to do over the phone of course) rather than just getting the cruises out on sale and collecting all those 15% deposits.

We agree... but have saves £8k on our next ocean cruise by preregistering... so can't complain!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, twotravellersLondon said:

By preregistering, booking ahead on board and comparing the price we paid then for an identical grade cabin on the same deck in virtually the same position.

I dont think preregistering gives any better than the 35% discount unless I'm wrong let me know.  Are there savings for booking on board ? Presumably you  booked the other one very late and paid a high price. 

On a 30 day cruise in a suite at a 35% discount pay about £30000. ,  so £8000 more i.e.  £38000, would be  at a 20% discount which is a late booking.

Normally  preregistering ensures a 35% discount, normally a un preregister but early booking gets 30% discount. 5% not to be sneezed at. So on a normal cabin for 2weeks preregistering can save £500, well worth having. All the 35% discount on E Deck get snapped up by preregistering. 

1 minute ago, Windsurfboy said:

I dont think preregistering gives any better than the 35% discount unless I'm wrong let me know.  Are there savings for booking on board ? Presumably you  booked the other one very late and paid a high price. 

On a 30 day cruise in a suite at a 35% discount pay about £30000. ,  so £8000 more i.e.  £38000, would be  at a 20% discount which is a late booking.

Normally  preregistering ensures a 35% discount, normally a un preregister but early booking gets 30% discount. 5% not to be sneezed at. So on a normal cabin for 2weeks preregistering can save £500, well worth having. All the 35% discount on E Deck get snapped up by preregistering. 

£8,000 is the 35% discount. 

It used to be the case that, with the exception of E deck cabins, if you pre-registered at anytime you would almost certainly get the 35% discount. However, it would seem that (because of the volume of pre-registrations now happening) if you make a late pre-registration, you can find that the discount for a number of cabin grades will have dropped by the time your turn comes around. This is when it can pay to check the cost of a higher grade cabin as eg a cabin on deck C may be less than one on deck D because of the different discounts available at that moment in time.

• Like 1

I've  never pre registered hadn't heard of it on first cruise,  but have never had less than a 30% discount. 30% on first cruise 30% on second , 35% on latest (but on dearer B deck not C).  I Have pre registered early for 2025 in 2022

I think the 35% discount is a marketing  illusion ( bit of a con). As  almost no one pays the nominal full price, on my last cruise just before sailing still could get 15 or 20% on most cabins.

Nor should you pay full price, at the nominal full price Saga are not competitive, they as dear as luxury lines  Practically pre registering helps you get the cabin you want , and a 5% discount, so definitely worth doing. Booking Saga at last minute except on guarantee basis is very bad value. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Windsurfboy said:

Booking Saga at last minute except on guarantee basis is very bad value. 

Absolutely not.

We had a brilliant Baltic cruise last year at a huge discount... booked the week before the departure! Missed out on one excursion that was fully booked but... that's life.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, twotravellersLondon said:

Absolutely not.

We had a brilliant Baltic cruise last year at a huge discount... booked the week before the departure! Missed out on one excursion that was fully booked but... that's life.

You are right , should have been clearer

I should have said more precisely , booking Saga at last minute when the discounts are normally  small is bad value.  Once discounts  drop below 20 to 25% Saganstarts to look expensive.