Need insurance advise for first cruise ever (US Disney wish)

DreamlightA

I’m looking into cruise insurance and I’ve never done this before. I have no idea what to prioritize when looking at coverage amounts. I want one that has decent medical coverage and coverage for if a family member dies/becomes sick during or before the trip. My dates are late January out of Florida, so weather is also something that’s on my mind. I’ve been considering Allianz Travel Premier and Travelex Select. If anyone has advice it would be appreciated! Thanks! 

I have used Allianz for years although we buy an annual policy and not a single trip policy.  Allianz was there for us when we needed them so we continue to use them.

In answer to your question you need to define your specific needs.  We make a choice based on medical coverage, evacuation coverage and trip cancellation coverage.  To us we can self insure for everything else in the policy.

DON

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, DreamlightA said:

I’m looking into cruise insurance and I’ve never done this before. I have no idea what to prioritize when looking at coverage amounts. I want one that has decent medical coverage and coverage for if a family member dies/becomes sick during or before the trip. My dates are late January out of Florida, so weather is also something that’s on my mind. I’ve been considering Allianz Travel Premier and Travelex Select. If anyone has advice it would be appreciated! Thanks! 

I'd suggest that you call www.TripInsuranceStore.com - they are a broker (no extra charge to the traveler) who work with several vetter travel insurers.

But CALL; reading the limited online summary information about the policies simply doesn't cut it.

They'll discuss exactly the things you are asking about, plus more...

We happen to use them to purchase policies from Travel Insured, but what works best for us may not work best for you.

If you have made your FIRST payment within the past week or so, then call them ASAP, as there is a 10-14 day window after first payment to get some of the insurance features.  (You may or may not want those, but it would be nice if you had that choice if possible.)

And we have had several claims, including a couple of large ones. All were paid without nonsense, and Steve (owner of TIS) helped us with the very first (filling out that form so we got it right) and then again when I was in hospital overseas, when we needed much more assistance).  The claims were paid within 2-3 weeks of our submitting all of the necessary documentation.

GC

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If nothing else, at least go to Steve’s web site at TripInsuranceStore and read thru the FAQ and other sections just to educate yourself regarding travel insurance. Travel insurance can be a blessing when needed for a “Covered Event”, however, knowing what is and what is not a covered event is vitally important.

Use a travel insurance broker (no added cost to you).We use InsureMyTrip.com, which we find has a far better online search feature than any other broker along with licensed phone agents who will clarify all aspects of the policies and help you make a right decision.

BTW: if you do multiple and/or longer premium/luxury cruises per year, be very careful about selecting any “annual” policy. Their claim limits are “aggregate” per year rather than per each individual cruise!

• 1 month later...

I have used TripInsuranceStore one time (Alaska cruise) and was pleased as I only needed coverage for a few days in Canada until my cruise insurance kicked in.

I have also bought Allianz in the past through my agent (if I buy this through my agent, pre-existing conditions are covered when I buy at final payment - I don't need to buy it at deposit). I am very pleased with Allianz as a company. I used them several times when my Mom was alive and recently filed a claim with them and was pleased with how they handled the claim and getting me home.

I wish Trip Insurance Store carried Allianz. I am curious why they don't carry Allianz as an option.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/19/2023 at 10:00 AM, Coral said:

I have used TripInsuranceStore one time (Alaska cruise) and was pleased as I only needed coverage for a few days in Canada until my cruise insurance kicked in.

I have also bought Allianz in the past through my agent (if I buy this through my agent, pre-existing conditions are covered when I buy at final payment - I don't need to buy it at deposit). I am very pleased with Allianz as a company. I used them several times when my Mom was alive and recently filed a claim with them and was pleased with how they handled the claim and getting me home.

I wish Trip Insurance Store carried Allianz. I am curious why they don't carry Allianz as an option.

Hi Coral,

I'm on the Azamara Onward until Nov 30th. Call me after Dec 4th and I'll tell you why I stopped doing business with them over 20 years ago.

Steve Dasseos

• Like 1

2 hours ago, iamtrustworthy said:

Hi Coral,

I'm on the Azamara Onward until Nov 30th. Call me after Dec 4th and I'll tell you why I stopped doing business with them over 20 years ago.

Steve Dasseos

Will do. Enjoy the rest of your cruise 🙂

• Like 1