Where does Majestic dock in Nouméa?

Korimako

I got a good feeling about this ..... So, I'm gonna go out on a  limb here, and venture a guess.  The cruise ship terminal on Rue Jules Ferry . Google earthed it so that's my final answer. We'll be there next month. ☺️

Edited by c-boy
  • Like 2

It on depends on the weather and tides.  If the ship can maneuver the small opening into the inlet where the cruise ship terminal on Rue Jules Ferry, the ship will berth there.  Upon disembarking, you will be in the heart of the city center.  If not, you will be in the industrial port northwest of the city center.  If you've ever been to Mazatlán, it's the same experience.  The area is full of shipping containers so passengers are not permitted to walk and you must take a free shuttle (pre-pandemic it was free) to the street. 

Been there several times, always at the freight dock. You must take a free shuttle to the visitors center. From there you can arrange a tour or transportation or explore on your own. Highly recommend the HOHO bus, Duck Island, the aquarium or the WW2 museum (within walking distance is the visitors center). 

http://pescadoamarillo.blogspot.com/search/label/Noumea?

• Like 1

By 'Visitor Centre' do you mean the Office de Tourisme Grand Sud, the Thibaou Cultural Centre, Nouméa Island Tours  office or somewhere else??
I'm trying to figure out what I want to do that doesn't involve an organised tour. 

Do you have an address for it?

Edited by Korimako
Spelling

8 hours ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

Been there several times, always at the freight dock. You must take a free shuttle to the visitors center. From there you can arrange a tour or transportation or explore on your own. Highly recommend the HOHO bus, Duck Island, the aquarium or the WW2 museum (within walking distance is the visitors center). 

http://pescadoamarillo.blogspot.com/search/label/Noumea?

We did the HOHO when we were there and enjoyed it.  We actually hopped off for good in the downtown area and walked back to the visitor's center for the shuttle.  I remember waiting a very long time in line at the visitor center to get currency.  My DH collects it and I remember seeing something about not counting on finding an ATM.  Had we known we were going to French Polynesia next year we could have saved the wait (and fees) to get his souvenirs!

Yes I was thinking of doing the HOHO to orientate myself. I did a quick Google for ATMs near the visitor centre and have found at least 3, so I just hope the info is up-to-date. There is a BNP Paribas quite close by, so hopefully that should still be functioning!

If you want to do tours check out Lyvai tours.  Some years ago we booked the little train, but just as we were ready to go on the sunset tour they cancelled it because of lack of numbers.  They gave us our money back then put us on a large coach and took 4 of us to the lookout for sunset, time to look around and back to the port.  Excellent service

On 10/11/2023 at 12:16 PM, Korimako said:

Yes I was thinking of doing the HOHO to orientate myself. I did a quick Google for ATMs near the visitor centre and have found at least 3, so I just hope the info is up-to-date. There is a BNP Paribas quite close by, so hopefully that should still be functioning!

I usually just get currency exchanged at home before I leave as better exchange rates and less fees.

Not sure where the Majestic will dock given the size of the ship.  Are you French? curious as I could try my French lessons on you whilst on our cruise>

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Korimako said:

No I'm not French, but we used to live in France. I can't get currency before I leave as my NZ bank no longer issues foreign currency

Check what other currency exchange in your area. There is an exchange at Circular Quay but expensive 

2 hours ago, kate59 said:

Check what other currency exchange in your area. There is an exchange at Circular Quay but expensive 

You will probably only need a small amount so exchange rate is not that important compared to benefit of having cash when you get there.

Some years ago I had run out of local money when I went to Cultural centre, tried to use my card but gentleman couldn’t work machine.  “Today is free entry” he said and gave me back my card.  It is a fair way out if town but I believe it is on HOHO route.  It is really worth seeing and set in a beautiful setting 

We were in Nouméa for two days in July.  Did not need any currency, just used credit card everywhere.  We didn’t go to the markets though.  You don’t have to pre book the hop on hop off or tchou tchou train.  The free shuttle drops you at the cruise terminal and there are heaps of tours available which you can pay for using card or cash - even Australian/NZ dollars for some.  I am unsure about US dollars though.  
The aquarium is good, the tchou tchou train very good and if you buy the hop on hop off use the company that is not the double decker.   In the time we waited for our double decker, four of the other brand had come and gone.

The first day we were there we wandered around the city centre and that took up a few hours.  Great, cheap patisserie for lunch - the shops at the cruise terminal are more expensive that the local shops. 

3 hours ago, kate59 said:

There is no currency exchange in my area which is why I thought I'd look for an ATM in Nouméa. I only intend to change a very small amount for anywhere that might not accept cards.

• Like 1