Celebrity newbies questions

framboesa

My parents (72 and 70) never cruised with Celebrity but are familiar with other cruise companies. They will cruise for 10 days aboard Infinity departing Lisbon at the end of october. I'm trying to help them preparing the cruise.

Could you please help?😉

1. They are not familiar with apps, so they will not have the app in their phones. How can they do the health check and muster drill?
  2. Are there language ambassadors? They don't speak english but understand italian and spanish, in other cruise lines they get help from ambassadors speaking different languages.
  3. Are the menus at the MDR in paper or electronic ones?
  4. Do they provide paper "cruise compass/daily activities"?
  5. Are there ice cream machines like in Royal Caribbean?
  6. Do they have to book the shows?
  7. Do you see any detail that is really different from Royal caribbean cruise lines that we should be aware?

Thank you!!!!!🥰

I cannot address 1 and 2, but they really should just get the app, it is not hard to use and it makes life much easier, especially checking in.

The menus are paper in the MDR

There is a daily activities flyer that is left in their cabin each day, either on the desk or on the bed.  You can also get it at guest relations,

There are no ice cream machines in the Oceanview Cafe but there is a great ice cream bar that is usually open from about 11am on into the night, Really good ice cream.  If there is a gelato bar on board, skip it, it is not that good and it costs extra.

I have never had to book a show. It has always been just show up. They do block out seats for suite guests but we have always found seats.

Celebrity it a bit quieter with a more refined feel than Royal. Fewer kids, fewer party types.  If your parents have Diamond status or above they need to tell Celebrity so they can get matching status on this cruise at the Elite level.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, framboesa said:

My parents (72 and 70) never cruised with Celebrity but are familiar with other cruise companies. They will cruise for 10 days aboard Infinity departing Lisbon at the end of october. I'm trying to help them preparing the cruise.

Could you please help?😉

1. They are not familiar with apps, so they will not have the app in their phones. How can they do the health check and muster drill?
  2. Are there language ambassadors? They don't speak english but understand italian and spanish, in other cruise lines they get help from ambassadors speaking different languages.
  3. Are the menus at the MDR in paper or electronic ones?
  4. Do they provide paper "cruise compass/daily activities"?
  5. Are there ice cream machines like in Royal Caribbean?
  6. Do they have to book the shows?
  7. Do you see any detail that is really different from Royal caribbean cruise lines that we should be aware?

Thank you!!!!!🥰

You don't need to use the App. Take prints outs of the boarding passed. Muster drill can be sorted on the ship - just to your Muster Station.

If your parents are Diamond on Royal this translates to Elite on X - main differences:

Free (unlimited) drinks in a 2 hour slot (5 to 7pm) from limited list - not 4 per day as Royal. Drinks available in most bars (all shown on printed list) free water in unopened cans can be collected during the 2 hour slot

Internet: 90 minutes each - use as you like not 1 day each as on Royal.

No Diamond Lounge (or equivalent) but there is an Elite Breakfast in Tuscan Grill similar to that in the Diamond Lounge 

Pool Towels don't have to be checked in and out.

Free ice-cream in Buffet is excellent.

Shows can't be booked - just turn up.

Paper versions of everything are available and the menus are also available in various languages. X will try to allocate you a table at dinner where the waiter speaks your language - visit the dining room once muster drill is finished and speak to the Maitre De.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, aml3679 said:

Do not have to book shows

they have self serve ice cream

They have SOFT serve ice cream but not SELF serve in the buffet (crew served) and to add, the gelato is not free except for those with status receive one free scope per sailing

• Like 2

Your ice cream answers so far are conflicting. There is delicious scooped ice cream in the ocean view daily in a variety of flavors at no charge.  Free soft serve is available at the mast grill, but is not self-serve.  The gelato at Cafe Al Bacio is for a charge, other than one free scoop for Captains Club members.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

They do not have language ambassadors as such but I believe Still have Name badges with flags of the languages they speak.  

I would believe that the Maitre'd would with or without request assign a waiter that can communicate with them.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you very much for your answers 🙂 I'm getting conflicting answers about lots of things, but I can have one ideas what to expect.

For instance aboard Royal caribbean we can have lemonade and ice tea during all meals, but i was reading that we can't ask it at MDR in Celebrity, except for breakfast. Can anyone clarify?

Thank you 

1 hour ago, framboesa said:

Thank you very much for your answers 🙂 I'm getting conflicting answers about lots of things, but I can have one ideas what to expect.

For instance aboard Royal caribbean we can have lemonade and ice tea during all meals, but i was reading that we can't ask it at MDR in Celebrity, except for breakfast. Can anyone clarify?

Thank you 

I have ice tea at both lunch and dinner in dining rooms.  No problem

• Like 1

3 hours ago, framboesa said:

Thank you 

Not sure where you read that but it is wrong.   Have had iced tea in the MDR many times at dinner.

• Like 1