Long time NCL cruiser. AWEFUL EXPERIENCE!

compfixer

23 hours ago, compfixer said:

She did a Boston to Bermuda cruise in August, it stopped in Bar Harbor Maine where they cleared customs! They didn't leave and end there!

But, that was just a stop.  The cruise terminated back in Boston.  So no passport was required.  Why didn’t U.S. Customs ask for passports in Maine?  My guess is that there just aren’t a lot of people trying to get into the U.S. illegally by boarding a cruise ship in another U.S. port and leave all their luggage on board when they reach Maine.  Just a guess.  I’m sure U.S. Customs could answer with more authority.  Good luck!

2 hours ago, compfixer said:

Yes! Already making other plans. 

And as far as the money, Credit card already did a full charge back. 

It's about principle at this point. 

Don't hold your breath on the credit card refund!  Your credit card bank gave you a provisional credit.  They'll send the information to NCL who will decline to accept the chargeback.  NCL will provide your credit card bank with verification of the acceptance of the cruise contract which identifies proper travel documention is YOUR responsibility.  Your provisional credit will then be reversed and the charge re-posted to your account.  

If you called to advise NCL or CAS you will not be cruising, you may receive a credit from them for port fees and gratuities.  They can verify that information.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, compfixer said:

That's my quirk, considering they are charging a 1000.00 fee to cancel. If I had proper notice, thus thread wouldn't exist!

Again though... you did have proper notice. You just chose to ignore it. The line should not be penalized for your failure to read or ask questions. You were getting a comp stateroom and that's why you are being charged to cancel.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BunnyHutt said:

I’m guessing “college-aged”‘ doesn’t necessarily mean “in college.” He does mention her working 60-hour weeks in advance of this trip. Which is why I think he may think clarifying her age justifies the situation.

Which it definitely does not.

1 because I was her age when I had to get a passport for an open jaw sailing.

And 2... he's looking for another person to place blame on for his failures. First it was ncls fault, now it's her fault...

Literally anybody but him who was the one who did the online check in and read (or was supposed to read) the guest service contract.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, compfixer said:

Totally assumed, since they always call and book me so early with "the usual". 

Shouldn't be the consumers responsiblity to know every what their rules are, if it's a REQUIREMENT, it shouldn't allow you to check in at all. 

I can't proceed without an emergency contact because it's a requirement. The software knows that much. 

You know what they say about assumptions!

3 hours ago, Capitan Obvious said:

But again...your "since it's not possible" is not accurate. It is acceptable to use the BC during check in to show proof of citizenship. 

LOL.  I said it's not possible to cruise a closed loop cruise with a BC.  Why are you responding about being able to check in  with it???  We all know you can. You're actually now saying the same thing as I am.  So what I said is absolutely correct...You can NOT board a non closed loop cruise with a BC.  and Your citizenship doesn't matter.  If the cruise is not closed loop, 100% of the passengers will have a passport, because like I said earlier, it's not possible to board with a BC 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, msbrookelyn said:

Exactly! Technically they had already booked the cruise. 

If ncl changes their online check in, then some people will complain that check in is requiring a passport when theirs simply hasn't arrived yet or are in the process of getting one. 

You can never satisfy everyone

Wait... you're checking in and still don't have your passport?

That's not a good scenario.

6 hours ago, melc1987 said:

The agents at check in are conforming everything is in line with customs and immigration standards at that very moment! If logic is created at check in, what if requirements change? First it would be a headache for NCL to update these and then notify impacted traveller's. People need to take responsibility for their own actions at some point.

Yes, people need to take responsibility at some point.

Check in is 21 days before sailing - MAX.

Wait if the rules change?

Would you re-check the rules daily for 21 days? Only way to be safe in your example.

If there was a rule change within 21 days of a voyage, I sure as hell hope the cruise line would send out a bulletin about it. Maybe folks should be reading the Federal Register regularly. There are points where the PROFESSIONAL business people involved need to be proactive.

And there's nothing to prevent final reminder during check-in to review your document requirements (or is there one already?).

4 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

To be honest, I've lost the bubble on this exchange.  That said, NCL's website has been what it is for a long time.  The fact that there is room for improvement is painfully obvious.  Why would we need to repost that?

Because it's relevant to this thread's comments about whether or not the check-in process could be tuned up.

Now, if you really want to complain about repeat postings (this is not directed to you, Chief),

how about that a large number of the posts over the last several hours have repeated the exact some comments that went in, like, a hundred posts back: the OP screwed up, has not taken responsibility, etc.

Give it up, people, OP has been beaten to death on here. Nothing more to say at all!

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Smitheroo said:

I am new to cruising but not to travel. I would think keeping a valid passport ready to use would be wise if you travel frequently I take mine even when its not needed. I feel it just makes things a lot easier.  

Agreed - I am fortunate enough to have both a Canadian and an EU passport. I keep both of them up to date. 

On 10/13/2023 at 9:17 PM, compfixer said:

they SHOULD know their own product and mention if something deviates from the norm. 

upon reflection, i hope you've realized that nothing has deviated from the norm. requiring a passport is the norm on an itinerary such as this.

in the roll call, you mentioned that you booked this cruise on october 6th. apparently, they reminded you of the passport requirement just a week later, on the 13th. that's pretty damn good.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, dbrown84 said:

LOL.  I said it's not possible to cruise a closed loop cruise with a BC.  Why are you responding about being able to check in  with it???  We all know you can. You're actually now saying the same thing as I am.  So what I said is absolutely correct...You can NOT board a non closed loop cruise with a BC.  and Your citizenship doesn't matter.  If the cruise is not closed loop, 100% of the passengers will have a passport, because like I said earlier, it's not possible to board with a BC 

Why? Simply because people (mainly you) keep talking about the check in process and mentioning that it should be recoded to prevent the use of a BC for check in (see posts #154 and #175 in this thread).

I never said that someone could board an open jaw cruse with a BC. However, you can provide proof of citizenship during check in with one. You can't seem to grasp that proof of citizenship during check in has different requirements and allowances that having the correct travel documents. Remember, it is "proof of citizenship", not "verification of travel documents".

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

just an observation, but personally, i think if you're going to travel anywhere outside of the u.s.a. regardless of mode of transportation, it's always a good idea to have/take your passport.

what's weird (imho) is that when you check in 21 days prior to embarkation, the form requests your passport information. at that point, the bells. whistles and the light bulb over her head should have alerted her about the need for a passport

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

18 minutes ago, complawyer said:

what's weird (imho) is that when you check in 21 days prior to embarkation, the form requests your passport information.

Not exactly. It gives you a dropdown list with 4 options: Passport, Birth Certificate, Naturalization Form, or a Born out of Country document. Any of these is good for proof of citizenship, but nowhere does it say that these are the necessary documents for taking the cruise. The two are not related, as others have been trying to point out.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, complawyer said:

just an observation, but personally, i think if you're going to travel anywhere outside of the u.s.a. regardless of mode of transportation, it's always a good idea to have/take your passport.

what's weird (imho) is that when you check in 21 days prior to embarkation, the form requests your passport information. at that point, the bells. whistles and the light bulb over her head should have alerted her about the need for a passport

Amen!