PV cabin included alcoholic beverages?

makai 7

4 hours ago, duquephart said:

In my experience only one whiskey (scotch) and then rum. Never seen bourbon in a Viking mini-bar. And a "few" beers = two.

We asked for and got 4 rums and then 4 vodkas.   Not sure why they would limit you.

We also had the Norweigan IPA beer stocked.  Had 2 a day, as it is my favorite.  Never tried to drink 3 beers in a day so can't vouch for if they "limit" the number of beers.

We've also exchanged the liquor before for wine, but they only give you the wine of the day red or white.  We asked for Cab and they said that might happen or might not.

7 hours ago, junglejane said:

Naw is American slang. I've been reading the Ann Cleeve books in the Vera series and I regularly have to google numerous types of British slang or idioms, e.g. punters and tossers.

In fact I did look Naw up before posting and of course I use slang myself.  I love your examples !

It seemed strange to use Naw and indeed previously Duh whilst claiming know how to use the dying art of using language correctly.

Sometimes I read the Viking board for amusement. Obviously Irony is also a 'dying art'.

Edited by Mrs Miggins
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

17 minutes ago, Mrs Miggins said:

In fact I did look Naw up before posting and of course I use slang myself.  I love your examples !

It seemed strange to use Naw and indeed previously Duh whilst claiming know how to use the dying art of using language correctly.

Sometimes I read the Viking board for amusement. Obviously Irony is also a 'dying art'.

Colloquialisms and slang are part of any language. Always have been - always will be. And --- if you look closely you will discover that it was someone else who wrote "Duh."

5 minutes ago, duquephart said:

Colloquialisms and slang are part of any language. Always have been - always will be. And --- if you look closely you will discover that it was someone else who wrote "Duh."

I apologise someone else did indeed use Duh.  I must brush up on my slang words and learn to use them correctly in the written word, especially on Cruise Critic.

However I might have mentioned that irony is a dying art.  

I don't drink hard liquor, but enjoy my Sauvignon Blanc.   I know this is totally different, but the attendant kept our fridge full of the complementary little splits of SB for me at all times, plus bottles of beer.  Had him take out the sodas and bubbly water.  

Do the ocean cruises stock the wine/beer like the river cruises?  We are Penthouse Jr. Suite on Orion and Venus if that matters.  

2 hours ago, island lady said:

I don't drink hard liquor, but enjoy my Sauvignon Blanc.   I know this is totally different, but the attendant kept our fridge full of the complementary little splits of SB for me at all times, plus bottles of beer.  Had him take out the sodas and bubbly water.  

Do the ocean cruises stock the wine/beer like the river cruises?  We are Penthouse Jr. Suite on Orion and Venus if that matters.  

No splits on Ocean.  We always ask and always no splits.  Just full bottles 750ml - red or White House wine and/or Sparling house.

just Beer cans no bottles.

1 hour ago, CCWineLover said:

No splits on Ocean.  We always ask and always no splits.  Just full bottles 750ml - red or White House wine and/or Sparling house.

just Beer cans no bottles.

Thanks!  Prefer the whole bottles of wine.  Happy to hear that.  🙂  Will have SS, so I guess the DH will just have to go to the bar for a draft.  😄 

24 minutes ago, island lady said:

Thanks!  Prefer the whole bottles of wine.  Happy to hear that.  🙂  Will have SS, so I guess the DH will just have to go to the bar for a draft.  😄 

We usually have the SSP and usually stay in a PJS.  Neither of those things make a difference if you prefer a bottle of wine rather than having the fridge replenished.  The reason we purchase SSP is because we like to have a choice of wines.  That is not the case when a bottle is left in your cabin.  CCWineLover is correct, it is the daily house wine.  But the mojitos are awesome!🙂

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, millybess said:

We usually have the SSP and usually stay in a PJS.  Neither of those things make a difference if you prefer a bottle of wine rather than having the fridge replenished.  The reason we purchase SSP is because we like to have a choice of wines.  That is not the case when a bottle is left in your cabin.  CCWineLover is correct, it is the daily house wine.  But the mojitos are awesome!🙂

Thanks..that does make sense.  😉 

15 hours ago, millybess said:

"The reason we purchase SSP is because we like to have a choice of wines."

It is absolutely astonishing that some still think SSP increases choices in the face of so much information to the contrary. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, duquephart said:

It is absolutely astonishing that some still think SSP increases choices in the face of so much information to the contrary. 

duquephart - as we so know by now (drilled into us all from many cruise critic forums) . .

Anyone can get any wine (or liquors) that is stocked onboard the ship at any time - it's just a question of paying for it.  SSP is just a different means and schedule of payment.  Without SSP you can pay for anything you want plus get free house wine/beer during lunch and dinner hours.  With SSP you pay a fixed cost up front and then have unlimited alcohol (and other things) at any time (up to a certain $ amount per drink, plus a discount on buying a wine bottle).   There's probably a couple other nuances to that - but that's basically it.    SSP is simply a different payment scheme.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, CCWineLover said:

duquephart - as we so know by now (drilled into us all from many cruise critic forums) . .

Anyone can get any wine (or liquors) that is stocked onboard the ship at any time - it's just a question of paying for it.  SSP is just a different means and schedule of payment.  Without SSP you can pay for anything you want plus get free house wine/beer during lunch and dinner hours.  With SSP you pay a fixed cost up front and then have unlimited alcohol (and other things) at any time (up to a certain $ amount per drink, plus a discount on buying a wine bottle).   There's probably a couple other nuances to that - but that's basically it.    SSP is simply a different payment scheme.

Perfectly stated, finally. Thank you!

3 minutes ago, CCWineLover said:

Indeed. The point being that there are still folks who think the SSP adds an additional level of choices ("The reason we purchase SSP is because we like to have a choice of wines.") despite the facts. Puzzling.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, duquephart said:

A while back I posted that I go through the bill at the end of the cruise line by line.  DH likes it when I don't worry about the dimes.  Therefore, we buy the SSBP for our sanity -- mostly his.  🙂  In our case, it increases our choices.

10 minutes ago, millybess said:

A while back I posted that I go through the bill at the end of the cruise line by line.  DH likes it when I don't worry about the dimes.  Therefore, we buy the SSBP for our sanity -- mostly his.  🙂  In our case, it increases our choices.

Just not of wines.

Edited by duquephart

39 minutes ago, millybess said:

We will often upgrade our wine at dinner.  Or sometimes we will buy a bottle of wine and take it back to the room.

So, "naw" our reasoning might not suit you.

The point is that you (or anyone) can upgrade with or without the package. Not difficult to grasp regardless of suitable reasoning.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, farmecologist said:

Wow...some salty folks on this forum...I like it!  🤣

Thanks all for the info here.  It cleared some things up.  While we have been on Viking river cruises, we are considering our first Viking ocean cruise on 2024.

Salty, cranky, difficult, awkward, obstinate.  We cover all the bases here.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 4