Boarding Time Confusion in Rome

WanderingTheWorld

I received a 1pm boarding time for my upcoming cruise on the Nieuw Statendam out of Rome (Civitavecchia). I have to be out of my Airbnb by 10am, so I reached out to HAL via chat to see if I could be moved to an earlier boarding group. According to the agent, 1pm is when boarding begins. This seems like a late time to start because the ship sets sail at 5pm.

Here is the really confusing part. I asked when the Mariners lunch would occur since boarding begins so late. Here is the agent's response, "Welcome Back Mariner Lunch, on day of embarkation from 12-1:30 in the main dining room." Huh? 😕

Does anyone have any recent experience embarking in Civitavecchia? When did boarding begin? Did you arrive before your time? Were you able to eat lunch in the MDR?

Do you know where you will be boarding ...  the terminal (Banchina 12N/S) or the tent (Banchina 25). Shoreside queuing if you're made to wait is much more comfortable from the terminal. If you're 4/5 star mariner, club orange, and/or a suite guest, you can walk on irrespective of your assigned time.  As for luncheon, the 13h30 time in my experience has been 'seated by' versus 'tables cleared' -- but I have never really understood the attraction to attending -- embarkation is usually a bit harried and my tolerance for my fellow pax is a bit depleted usually, but whatever floats your canoe.  🙂      Scott, 

Edited by YXU AC*SE

I'm usually feeling a bit jiggy on the day of embarkation, and sometimes harried and drained.  Lunch with others, on that day, is not high on my priority list.  Actually, my first thought is to go make dinner reservations and grab a drink at the bar.  There you have it. But, back to the OP, if you want to have lunch with others, just arrive early as others have noted.

Just head for the port when you leave your bnb. You will probably be allowed onboard when the ship is ready and the priority passengers are through. Can't forecast a time but certainly before your 1:00 pm scheduled time.

We embarked from the Pier 12 terminal back in 2019 when we were on the Nieuw Statendam. But on a MSC cruise last year when we were just doing a port call we used Banchina 25. It just depends on what other ships are there that day.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, YXU AC*SE said:

Do you know where you will be boarding ...  the terminal (Banchina 12N/S) or the tent (Banchina 25). Shoreside queuing if you're made to wait is much more comfortable from the terminal. If you're 4/5 star mariner, club orange, and/or a suite guest, you can walk on irrespective of your assigned time... 🙂   

How do we know if we're 12N/S or 25?

Boarding pass only gives the time.

6 hours ago, Haljo1935 said:

How do we know if we're 12N/S or 25?

Boarding pass only gives the time.

It will show here: 

https://civitavecchia.portmobility.it/en/port-civitavecchia-arrivals-and-departures-real-time

2 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

You’ll get better food and avoid the stampede of early boarders.

Listen to mom!   🙂

Scott.

• Thanks 2

We boarded the NS on 17 Sept 2023 in Civitavecchia. Got picked up by car at 10:30 from our Rome City BnB and boarded immediately we arrived at the port. There was not 1 person waiting to board. If the ship arrives at 7:00am or 8:00am I would just do what we did. Our scheduled time was 2:20pm.

• Thanks 1

On 10/18/2023 at 10:19 AM, WanderingTheWorld said:

Here is the really confusing part. I asked when the Mariners lunch would occur since boarding begins so late. Here is the agent's response, "Welcome Back Mariner Lunch, on day of embarkation from 12-1:30 in the main dining room." Huh? 😕

The “Welcome Back Mariner Lunch” is different to the Mariner Reception lunch.  The welcome back lunch doesn’t mean anything more than the MDR is open on day of embarkation.  (Even though staff will try to send everyone to the Lido Market.)  This time last year we boarded in Civi and the MDR was closed.  It’s hit or miss.  

As the others have said, you will be fine heading straight to the port when you check out of your airbnb.  Everyone is sent to the queue following luggage drop-off and our check-in times have never been a factor.  

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Nang said:

We boarded the NS on 17 Sept 2023 in Civitavecchia. Got picked up by car at 10:30 from our Rome City BnB and boarded immediately we arrived at the port. There was not 1 person waiting to board. If the ship arrives at 7:00am or 8:00am I would just do what we did. Our scheduled time was 2:20pm.

How long did it take to get from your Rome City BnB to the port? Trying to decide what time we need to leave; we're staying near Termini. 

Thanks!

4 hours ago, Haljo1935 said:

How long did it take to get from your Rome City BnB to the port? Trying to decide what time we need to leave; we're staying near Termini. 

Thanks!

about 75 minutes but this was on a Sunday with minimal traffic.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, syesmar said:

Is there a lunch served at the Mariner Reception?

Yes.  I haven’t been on a ship where they’ve had one since the shutdown but others are reporting, sporadically, that they’re making a comeback. 

• Thanks 1