Solo travelers dining questions

vswan

6 hours ago, nudistcruzer said:

After any change to your reservation you can ask for your "Amenity Confirmation" to be emailed to you, it confirms all of your amenities. (NOTE: It does not show any benefits due because of your "Latitudes Rewards" tier.) (Why?, you might ask, because NCL has a crappy website.)

Only paying customers not those with specialty dining entitlements can book some restaurants in advance. The system wanted me to pay $400 in advance for two free meals at Teppanyaki. I suppose I can book on the ship. I will maybe cancel a reservation and change to Teppanyaki. NCL's website is one of the worst I have used. Even when paying in advance for a meal they will charge you for 4 people, so, if you have one child, NCL feels that you must pay for every meal as if you have two.  So might as well bring your child's best friend because you are forced to pay for 4 anyway. Why do they prevent people from booking the number of people that will be there?  So they can charge one person for two people or three people for four people, etc. ?

I believe teppanyaki is very hard to reserve once on board. You are not going to be charged for an extra person, we are 7, I always make reservations for 8.

Hello! I travel solo frequently and book the specialty restaurants as soon as I can; since have had problems with dinning ability. Prefer 7pm dinning and a lot of times when tried to book onboard, they are full or only have 9pm or later.  So book now, 2 person or sometimes I will book 4 if that is all available. You can change it once onboard to 1, at least you were able to reserve a restaurant you wanted at desired time.

Ps have never been successfully seated at specialty dinner (without reservation) same day; either too full or for 9pm or later...with the free specialty dinning it fills up fast.....good luck!

53 minutes ago, Notamegagirl said:

You can change it once onboard to 1,

I'll say it again. There is absolutely ZERO reason to worry about making this change.  There are no tables for 1 so if you made a reservation for 2 it's going to be the exact same table. Same goes for any other odd-number party size - book for one higher and just show up with what you have, except for Teppanyaki...

• Like 1

6 hours ago, mjkacmom said:

I believe teppanyaki is very hard to reserve once on board. You are not going to be charged for an extra person, we are 7, I always make reservations for 8.

It can't be reserved in advance without paying. Anyone that wants to use a free specialty meal from a package cannot reserve before the cruise.  Norwegian's website is crappy. They will charge your credit card for every reservation at Teppanyaki unless you are on the ship. If you are one person you are forced to pay for two people. If you are two people you have to pay in advance for a meal that is supposed to be free. So for Teppanyaki you are, by definition, screwed if you have included specialty meals. If I could reserve for two people without paying in advance I would. Customer service told me it is not possible to reserve Teppanyaki or the Brazilian steak house without paying in advance and even if you plan to pay cash for the meal and not use an entitlement and also have an odd number of people, you are forced when making the reservation to fully pay for the extra person.  

2 minutes ago, nudistcruzer said:

It can't be reserved in advance without paying. Anyone that wants to use a free specialty meal from a package cannot reserve before the cruise.  

I have reserved both Moderno and Teppanyaki through the app multiple times without issues. But, as has been stated, you have to reserve them before any a la carte speciality restaurants. (I book for two even though I'm solo.) That is with the FreeAtSea free speciality.

If you're planning to use a Platinum coupon to get it for free I guess it would be different.

8 hours ago, shof515 said:

make sure you booking dinner reservations in the correct order. with the free specially dinning package you need to book fixed price restaurants like Teppanyaki and Moderno first and al la carte restaurants like cagneys and le bistro last. if you book things in the wrong order, the system will make you pay if it thinks you dont have enough dinning credits with your page . you will need to call again and tell them to remove all of your dining reservations and then rebook the restaurants in the correct order

If Teppanyaki only shows availability for 4 or more people then that means that time slot is kind of full, try selecting a different time or date. When i book Teppanyaki i always select for 2 people and i never charged anything

The other problem is this is a back to back cruise booked under one reservation. It doesn't seem to even mention anything about how many entitlements I have. Since I cannot be sure if deleting 10 reservations will improve anything I am not going to spend all that time.  What you are essentially saying is the NCL website sucks, because it doesn't know how many entitlements you have when making reservations. I have 10 total or 5 per cruise. Since I am one person, does it try to take two entitlements per meal? Who knows? The only way to avoid these problems is to choose a cruise line that has a website that works. Every time I have booked a back to back cruise on NCL they have combined it under one reservation number, they didn't give me a choice. 

8 minutes ago, nudistcruzer said:

The other problem is this is a back to back cruise booked under one reservation. It doesn't seem to even mention anything about how many entitlements I have. Since I cannot be sure if deleting 10 reservations will improve anything I am not going to spend all that time.  What you are essentially saying is the NCL website sucks, because it doesn't know how many entitlements you have when making reservations. I have 10 total or 5 per cruise. Since I am one person, does it try to take two entitlements per meal? Who knows? The only way to avoid these problems is to choose a cruise line that has a website that works. Every time I have booked a back to back cruise on NCL they have combined it under one reservation number, they didn't give me a choice. 

When I booked a B2B cruise for next May I was able to do so under different reservations. In fact, my PCC highly recommended it. And I even got to keep the same room. I do agree that their website sucks. Sometimes I find it better to speak to an actual human.

11 minutes ago, nudistcruzer said:

I think you need to call back, if you book moderno and teppanyaki it should not incur a cost, the a la cart restaurants won’t be a charge. This seems to be a unique to you problem. I’m still wondering how you received so many freebies. I do think I had to pay for 8 for our family of 7 booking moderno without a promo since I had to book 8, but it was refunded of course.

37 minutes ago, Asawi said:

If you're planning to use a Platinum coupon to get it for free I guess it would be different.

if you are using platinum coupon and do not have any free at sea dinning (as in you decline it when booking) then it is a little different as you can not book them for free. they will require payment when making the reservation for the fixed priced restaurants. no issues with booking al la carte restaurants when platinum 

13 hours ago, nudistcruzer said:

The "studio lounge" was only accessible to people in the studios in the past. It was a perk because you had a tiny room with not so much as a window. It is still called the "studio lounge". Only people in the Studios have had access to the "Studio Lounge" I don't know what you're talking about when to refer to a "Solo Lounge". Solo Travelers that are not in a "Studio cabin" have never had access in the past, except when there is a specific scheduled solo gathering and the solo travelers coordinator would prop open the door to allow access, only for those events.

That said, the Lounge was rarely busy. If your key allows access to the Studio Cabin area then you can get in. Otherwise, no access. On the Viva in a month from today, I might have a definitive answer. Certainly in February on the Getaway I will know for sure.

Only ships in the Epic class, Breakaway class, Breakaway+ Class and Prima class have "studio cabins" and/or "Studio Lounges". I've Been on Epic class and Breakaway class and about to go on Prima Class for the first time. 

Thank you, yes, I misspoke. I meant "Studio Lounge"

However, with the reclassification of some balcony cabins to "solo/studio" cabins, those folks... meaning me, lol... WILL have access to the "Studio Lounge."

NCL confirmed that over 2 different calls to customer service I made, as well as by email. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nudistcruzer said:

I have 10 total or 5 per cruise

So you have your two Platinum coupons plus 3 FAS meals on each cruise?  You're doing two 12+ night cruises in balcony or above?

1 hour ago, nudistcruzer said:

does it try to take two entitlements per meal? Who knows?

No, it shouldn't, but if you're trying to book more than 3 nights on each cruise in Teppanyaki or Moderno then you'll run into issues as it doesn't recognize the Platinum status for pre-booking meals.

14 minutes ago, Daruma said:

NCL confirmed that over 2 different calls to customer service I made, as well as by email. 

In addition to it being in the press release about the cabin re-classification.

4 hours ago, hallux said:

So you have your two Platinum coupons plus 3 FAS meals on each cruise?  You're doing two 12+ night cruises in balcony or above?

No, it shouldn't, but if you're trying to book more than 3 nights on each cruise in Teppanyaki or Moderno then you'll run into issues as it doesn't recognize the Platinum status for pre-booking meals.

Two B2B 10-day cruises. The "Amenity Confirmation" shows 3 per cruise which does not include the "Platinum" 2 per cruise.

QTY 2 "1 MEAL SPECIALTY DINING PACKAGE" and QTY 2 "FAS Plus Dining - 2 meals"

The system should recognize all entitled meals, otherwise, it is a stupid system. I designed user interfaces for a living. NCL's website is terrible and practically non-functional at times. No real-world testing is done.

I am in a Studio Cabin. All 20 days are shown in the dining reservation system; i.e. it is not separated by cruise. I am making sure to only have 5 reservations per each cruise, there is no system in place that shows anything about included specialty meals. Tech support told me to change it once on the ship and that it might not be possible to reserve Teppanyaki before the cruise. Besides, I am happy with 7 CAGNEY'S meals and 3 LA CUCINA meals.

image.png.5125f18e78eb739ed4fd092b299ce6cd.png

Edited by nudistcruzer

5 hours ago, yakcruiser said:

When I booked a B2B cruise for next May I was able to do so under different reservations. In fact, my PCC highly recommended it. And I even got to keep the same room. I do agree that their website sucks. Sometimes I find it better to speak to an actual human.

You clearly have a better PCC than I do. In the past, I wasn't getting included specialty meals, so it didn't make any difference.

Also I had hoped that I would get credit for a 20 day cruise the way Carnival would give me a $250 credit (shareholder benefit). But they didn't do that anyway. In short, the shareholder benefit with NCL sucks in practice when compared to Carnival's shareholder benefit for same length cruises. I pay double for a charter with Carnival and they always give the benefit based on the total number of days in a row on the same ship, even when one cruise is a charter under a different booking number. With NCL you don't get credit for being on the same ship for twenty days and besides charters although you may be paying a premium of double you still don't get the shareholder benefit. My 20 day cruise in February I am getting $200 shipboard credit with NCL, on carnival the same cruise would be $250. In 2025 a 15 day cruise on NCL I get $50 shipboard credit shareholder benefit, on Carnival the same cruise even if 14 days I would get $250. So, I will be selling my NCL shares happily after the 2025 cruise.  I may even cancel the non-charter cruise and sell those shares early. 

When it come to the ship itself I have preferred NCL over Carnival. When it comes to making reservations, using the website, the shareholder benefits, Carnival shines compared to NCL.

Edited by nudistcruzer

18 minutes ago, nudistcruzer said:

You clearly have a better PCC than I do. In the past, I wasn't getting included specialty meals, so it didn't make any difference.

Also I had hoped that I would get credit for a 20 day cruise the way Carnival would give me a $250 credit (shareholder benefit). But they didn't do that anyway. In short, the shareholder benefit with NCL sucks in practice when compared to Carnival's shareholder benefit for same length cruises. I pay double for a charter with Carnival and they always give the benefit based on the total number of days in a row on the same ship, even when one cruise is a charter under a different booking number. With NCL you don't get credit for being on the same ship for twenty days and besides charters although you may be paying a premium of double you still don't get the shareholder benefit. My 20 day cruise in February I am getting $200 shipboard credit with NCL, on carnival the same cruise would be $250. In 2025 a 15 day cruise on NCL I get $50 shipboard credit shareholder benefit, on Carnival the same cruise even if 14 days I would get $250. So, I will be selling my NCL shares happily after the 2025 cruise.  I may even cancel the non-charter cruise and sell those shares early. 

When it come to the ship itself I have preferred NCL over Carnival. When it comes to making reservations, using the website, the shareholder benefits, Carnival shines compared to NCL.

It looks like you bought the FAS Plus.  That would give you an additional 2 specialties for each cruise.  You got one for being in the studio, 2 for having purchased FAS+ and two per cruise for Platinum.  So yes, it’s ten specialty restaurants.  Nice.

on the Shareholder benefit, I’m with you.  I wish they would combine the days.  We’ll be on a B2B in May for a total of 22 nights, but we’ll only get $100 per cruise.  I’d prefer it to be $250.  😃. But I’m not clear on your statement above.  For your 15 night cruise you should be getting $250, not $50.  Also, NCL does not track when you sell stock.  You only have to show that you own it when you apply for the credit, which can be done way in advance.  Once it’s posted to your account it stays there.  They don’t ask you to prove that you still own it on sailing date.

1 hour ago, Russiamomm said:

It looks like you bought the FAS Plus.  That would give you an additional 2 specialties for each cruise.  You got one for being in the studio, 2 for having purchased FAS+ and two per cruise for Platinum.  So yes, it’s ten specialty restaurants.  Nice.

on the Shareholder benefit, I’m with you.  I wish they would combine the days.  We’ll be on a B2B in May for a total of 22 nights, but we’ll only get $100 per cruise.  I’d prefer it to be $250.  😃. But I’m not clear on your statement above.  For your 15 night cruise you should be getting $250, not $50.  Also, NCL does not track when you sell stock.  You only have to show that you own it when you apply for the credit, which can be done way in advance.  Once it’s posted to your account it stays there.  They don’t ask you to prove that you still own it on sailing date.

12 nights is a Charter, so $0 for that, and $50 for the 3 night. Carnival would be $250 for that, since they still give you the benefit for charters unless it is a free cruise or something like that.  Since the rule is "at the time of sailing" I will continue to hold it, besides I hope it goes up more by then as well. 

11 hours ago, nudistcruzer said:

It can't be reserved in advance without paying. Anyone that wants to use a free specialty meal from a package cannot reserve before the cruise.  Norwegian's website is crappy. They will charge your credit card for every reservation at Teppanyaki unless you are on the ship. If you are one person you are forced to pay for two people. If you are two people you have to pay in advance for a meal that is supposed to be free. So for Teppanyaki you are, by definition, screwed if you have included specialty meals. If I could reserve for two people without paying in advance I would. Customer service told me it is not possible to reserve Teppanyaki or the Brazilian steak house without paying in advance and even if you plan to pay cash for the meal and not use an entitlement and also have an odd number of people, you are forced when making the reservation to fully pay for the extra person.  

Not true.

As long as you have a FAS slot, you can book without paying.

Many posts on these boards advising to book the flat fee restaurants first, then ala carte ones (no upfront payment for a res) afterwards.

I booked Teppanyaki a few weeks ago for my January cruise. No problems, no fees.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, nudistcruzer said:

12 nights is a Charter, so $0 for that, and $50 for the 3 night. Carnival would be $250 for that, since they still give you the benefit for charters unless it is a free cruise or something like that.  Since the rule is "at the time of sailing" I will continue to hold it, besides I hope it goes up more by then as well. 

OK.  Makes sense didn’t catch that the long one was a charter.

5 hours ago, cruiser2015 said:

Not true.

As long as you have a FAS slot, you can book without paying.

Many posts on these boards advising to book the flat fee restaurants first, then ala carte ones (no upfront payment for a res) afterwards.

I booked Teppanyaki a few weeks ago for my January cruise. No problems, no fees.

True.  It just needs to be reserved first.  It might be worth a call to NCL.  I’m sure they can straighten it out.

16 hours ago, latebuyer said:

So it sounds like if you want to share a table you can’t? So if you want to share you are best to sit with the solo group? I’m talking about regular dining room.

I don't think they are really set up to have shared tables, because of the way freestyle dining works.

So either going with the solo group, or just arranging to meet to go to dinner together with people you met at the bar, on a shore excursion, in the casino etc; is the way to be able to eat with others.

On 10/19/2023 at 9:33 AM, Langham1865 said:

I have almost always cruised solo.  I always wait and almost never have had issues getting a table with the exception of Teppanyaki, which you should plan ahead.    I don't mind dining solo, but am usually outgoing and always go to the Solo Meet & Greets (at least the first few days). I normally find other solos to dine with too.  

I think the PCC is wrong about access to the studio lounge.   I have booked balconies myself and it never has has access to the studio lounge, except when they prop the doors open for the Solo Meet & Greets.   I would also check your modified reservation to make sure you have the free at sea dining.  At that much of a price drop, it may only be the room and not the extra perks.  When you change a reservation like that, it doesn't transfer the previous perks.   It is whatever that rate at that time includes, and you may have been switched to something that is just the room. It almost happened to me once, but I asked at time of change to make sure.  and checked later to make sure they had the codes on the reservation

NCL has started a new category in recent weeks- solo inside, solo oceanview, solo balcony (still having regular inside, regular oceanview, regular balcony.   Those come with access fo the studio cabins lounge.  My question is that they market these rooms as "ideal for the solo traveler".  Other than access to the studio lounge I dont see how a solo inside would be different from a regular inside, its not like they have reconfigured the rooms

9 minutes ago, Smitheroo said:

NCL has started a new category in recent weeks- solo inside, solo oceanview, solo balcony (still having regular inside, regular oceanview, regular balcony.   Those come with access fo the studio cabins lounge.  My question is that they market these rooms as "ideal for the solo traveler".  Other than access to the studio lounge I dont see how a solo inside would be different from a regular inside, its not like they have reconfigured the rooms.

For my Getaway cruise, the new solo inside cabins are either on deck 5 directly under the atrium, or the very front of deck 8. So it would seem they are "ideal for the solo traveller" in the sense that "Only one cruiser will be disappointed with their cabin location, instead of two."

• Haha 6

I have a balcony booked by myself as a solo 12/23 (before the new classifications take effect).  I phoned NCL and asked if I would have access to the studio lounge and was told “No.”  I am hoping that is wrong as it makes 0 sense to me.  I will ask again when I board.

7 minutes ago, Ellaleah said:

I have a balcony booked by myself as a solo 12/23 (before the new classifications take effect).  I phoned NCL and asked if I would have access to the studio lounge and was told “No.”  I am hoping that is wrong as it makes 0 sense to me.  I will ask again when I board.

the new solo cabin category will be fleet wide in 2024. you will need to book in a solo balcony to receive studio lounge access. if you booked a regular balcony, you will not have studio access.

solo balcony have a cabin category of BT, you need this category to have lounge access

Edited by shof515
  • Like 1