NCL’s legal obligation?

OctoP

7 hours ago, complawyer said:

read schmoopies original post. it indicated a cruise to no where, man, so i commented on not complaining about a cruise to nowhere, man as opposed to sittin on the dock of they bay.

apparently you missed the humor and sarcasm

16 minutes ago, cruiser2015 said:

Quite the contrary!

Apparently you missed MY humor and sarcasm.

More likely that what sounded like humor and sarcasm in your heads turned out to be neither by the time it passed through your keyboard.

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, complawyer said:

read schmoopies original post. it indicated a cruise to no where, man, so i commented on not complaining about a cruise to nowhere, man as opposed to sittin on the dock of they bay.

7 hours ago, cruiser2015 said:

Quite the contrary!

Apparently you missed MY humor and sarcasm.

apparently you missed the humor and sarcasm

Apparently no one uses emojis. I will use enough of them for all of us. 😊🤣🤦‍♂️ 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/19/2023 at 2:47 PM, hallux said:

They could, but if the cruise is closed-loop from a US port the US government might have something to say unless there are extreme extenuating circumstances...

It has to be America-owned to do that. A foreign-owned ship transporting passengers has to comply with the Passenger Vessel Services Act. Although, if they come back to the same port, it may not be applicable.  CFRs are not light and easy to read.  

35 minutes ago, NevadaCruiser2023 said:

A foreign-owned ship transporting passengers has to comply with the Passenger Vessel Services Act.

This is precisely what I was referring to, and I believe someone else also brought this up...

2 hours ago, NevadaCruiser2023 said:

It has to be America-owned to do that. A foreign-owned ship transporting passengers has to comply with the Passenger Vessel Services Act. Although, if they come back to the same port, it may not be applicable.  CFRs are not light and easy to read.  

Again, this is not correct.  A foreign flag cruise ship, with foreign crew, and foreign owned, could do a "cruise to nowhere" (which by definition is a "closed loop"), and this is specifically called out in the USC (as part of the PVSA) as being allowed.  What has changed is the CBP ruling that foreign crew on a foreign flag ship doing a cruise to nowhere would need a work visa, not a crew visa, as I stated in my previous post.  The cost of getting work visas for the entire crew, for the occasional "cruise to nowhere" is not financially sound for the cruise lines, so they don't offer them anymore.

• Like 1

On 10/19/2023 at 6:15 PM, ChiefMateJRK said:

No, it's the same thing.  I can't ever remember being "compensated" by an airline for issues (allegedly) beyond their control.  I actually think the cruise lines are more noble than the airlines in this area.

How has an airline compensated you for your grief?

I think different airlines handle this differently. 

one example, on Delta, we booked a first class flight to Hawaii with a connection at LAX. Our original flight was delayed to the point where we missed the connection. They got us re-booked on a different flight that didn't have any first class seats available. So we didn't quite get what we paid for. We were compensated with frequent flyer miles and a partial refund

On another, on American Airlines, we booked a connecting flight to Jamaica. Our first flight was cancelled and the best they could do was put us on a flight the next day. So again, I didn't feel like we got what we paid for since we would miss a day of our vacation.  We ended up being able to take a last minute one way delta flight the same day and were told by the customer service agent that they could cancel the first leg of the flight and get a partial refund. However, when we called them to follow up they refused the refund. In this case our trip insurance compensated us. 

I don't specifically recall why the Delta flight was delayed. But the American flight was definitely within their control. It was some sort of mechanical issue with the plane and them not able to find a substitute. 

Edited by sanger727