Tampa Debarkation

sasset

25 minutes ago, sasset said:

Last November, Tampa was a nightmare after a transatlantic. Anyone debark there recently? What would be a reasonable time to schedule a car service pickup after a transatlantic?

I would use your prior experience as a guide. Debark procedures from a closed loop cruise are different than ones from a transatlantic.

Thanks. It seemed that Tampa was overwhelmed. Not just clearing immigration but luggage and vehicle traffic was all jammed. I thought maybe they had some resolution to the traffic issue.

Last year we were on the Edge Transatlantic last year to Ft Lauderdale and the disembarkation was awlful! Global Entry wasn’t even being used! The lines for everything was outrageous! The Federal Government has two different systems for cruise ships arriving !😡

3 hours ago, Mark_K said:

I would use your prior experience as a guide. Debark procedures from a closed loop cruise are different than ones from a transatlantic.

Pro Tip here........get Covid the last 5 days of your cruise and they walk you out the back door, hand you your luggage, you stroll past customs by waving your passport and viola.....get in a cab. It took less than 1 minute.

• Haha 6

2 hours ago, neverlaysup said:

Pro Tip here........get Covid the last 5 days of your cruise and they walk you out the back door, hand you your luggage, you stroll past customs by waving your passport and viola.....get in a cab. It took less than 1 minute.

Don’t try that in Amsterdam, it was over a 250€ cab ride to track down our passports 🤬

• Haha 1

I swore we will never cruise from Tampa again.  Cruise ending in January cost an extra $1,000 to change our flights home.  Fog in Tampa, we sat in the bay for hours waiting for the Port to reopen.  The only help from flights by Celebrity was giving us the airline phone number to change flights and the ship phone to use for the call.

On 10/23/2023 at 9:17 PM, skatelady said:

I swore we will never cruise from Tampa again.  Cruise ending in January cost an extra $1,000 to change our flights home.  Fog in Tampa, we sat in the bay for hours waiting for the Port to reopen.  The only help from flights by Celebrity was giving us the airline phone number to change flights and the ship phone to use for the call.

What time was your flight out of Tampa?  How long did it take to reopen the Port due to fog?

We were supposed to dock at 7:00.  We were still out in the bay at 9:00 and no one knew when the fog would lift so I started working on changing flights.  We moved  from a 2:00 flight to an 8:00 flight.  I think it was about 5:00 when we finally docked.  Luckily the flight was delayed for a couple of hours so we made that one.  We've never had this issue from Ft Lauderdale or Miami.  

• Thanks 1

Fog can be a problem at any port depending on the weather and water conditions and temperatures.

In Tampa, the worst time for the possibility of fog can start in November and goes through February.

It happens when warmer air is over the cooler water and it is wind still.  This allows the moisture in the air to condense and not be moved away by a breeze.

The possibility of fog is predictable and is sometimes predicted several days in advance on our local weather reports.  Similarly, it is also known that clear conditions will exist.

As we are local to Tampa, we have cruised out of Tampa in January over the years.  We have never had issues with fog delaying embarkation or debarkation.

We plan on being on the Constellation again in January.

Edited by Homosassa
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Homosassa said:

Fog can be a problem at any port depending on the weather and water conditions and temperatures.

In Tampa, the worst time for the possibility of fog can start in November and goes through February.

It happens when warmer air is over the cooler water and it is wind still.  This allows the moisture in the air to condense and not be moved away by a breeze.

The possibility of fog is predictable and is sometimes predicted several days in advance on our local weather reports.  Similarly, it is also known that clear conditions will exist.

As we are local to Tampa, we have cruised out of Tampa in January over the years.  We have never had issues with fog delaying embarkation or debarkation.

We plan on being on the Constellation again in January.

Lived in Tampa for a number of years off and on but never cruised from there (my pre-cruise days) so good to know as we are on a Dec cruise from there. Have cruised out of Galveston many times and only one that I remember where fog caused a problem for some folks.  

We are cruising out of Tampa for the first time in January.  Once I learned of previous problems regarding fog in this port, we decided to stay overnight and fly out the next day.  No stress that way!

My solution to fog in Tampa is to book the airline for midday the next day and stay in a local hotel the night we arrive.

We got caught in fog last time we did Tampa and not going through that again.

• Like 1