Apple Watches and ship wifi

Wookie01

On 10/24/2023 at 11:28 AM, DaKahuna said:

Not on an iPhone.  If you use the wireless to connect to the ship's WiFi then it cannot be used as the hotspot at the same time.  I carry a travel router with me and connect it to the ship's WiFi and then connect the in room devices to my travel router. 

A travel router would help me at hotels as I would like to setup a camera to watch my dogs while I go out to eat. The only question I have is can the travel router be set up with a iPhone or iPad or does it have to be a laptop running windows? 

1 hour ago, peterde said:

A travel router would help me at hotels as I would like to setup a camera to watch my dogs while I go out to eat. The only question I have is can the travel router be set up with a iPhone or iPad or does it have to be a laptop running windows? 

Why not connect the camera to the hotel's wifi?

While a travel router has several functions, the primary purpose of one on a cruise is to take one single Wi-Fi network and split it into multiple signals.  Since most hotels have good wifi and usually allow at least two devices (many have no device limits), I'm not sure how a wifi router would benefit you

3 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

I always turn off automatic time changes and do time changes onboard ships manually and iMessage keeps working. Explain why they would stop working. I can't think of a reason iMessage would stop working. Maybe there is possibility becasue of a mismatch with servers but it hs never happened to me. 

For datapoint purposes, ditto on the iMessages working

2 hours ago, peterde said:

Yes.  I have used my iPad to set up my travel router a number of times.  It can be done on your phone but the small screen size makes it difficult. 

p.s. My travel laptop is a MacBook Air. 

Edited by DaKahuna
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Why not connect the camera to the hotel's wifi?

While a travel router has several functions, the primary purpose of one on a cruise is to take one single Wi-Fi network and split it into multiple signals.  Since most hotels have good wifi and usually allow at least two devices (many have no device limits), I'm not sure how a wifi router would benefit you

Because the hotels I stay at require a sign in with a name and room number on a browser to active the internet connection, something you can’t do on a camera. To get around this I usually turn an iPad into a camera but I would love to use a PTZ camera instead. 

34 minutes ago, peterde said:

Because the hotels I stay at require a sign in with a name and room number on a browser to active the internet connection, something you can’t do on a camera. To get around this I usually turn an iPad into a camera but I would love to use a PTZ camera instead. 

I didn’t realize it was a stand alone camera, makes sense now

• Like 1

On 10/23/2023 at 7:16 AM, Wookie01 said:

Hi all,

We are sailing on Celebrity Edge in December and our package includes premium wifi for one device.

Does anybody know how Apple Watches perform in this environment?
Does the ship see the watch as a second device?

My iPhone will probably be on airplane mode to avoid accidental network usage, will that create any problems?

thanks for any assistance, Graham 🙂

We were on the Beyond in February.  We had the same conditions as you are describing, iPhones with Apple watches and the Premium plans.  We had no issues using the phones or the Apple watches.  Have fun!

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, peterde said:

I would not count on a travel router solving this problem,  Chances are that you will not be able to see the WiFi signal from the travel router in the restaurant.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

I would not count on a travel router solving this problem,  Chances are that you will not be able to see the WiFi signal from the travel router in the restaurant.  

Oh, I didn’t realize that. I just figured that if the travel route was connected to the internet it would work like a regular router and allow two way data flow over the internet from connected devices. Oh well. 

4 hours ago, peterde said:

Oh, I didn’t realize that. I just figured that if the travel route was connected to the internet it would work like a regular router and allow two way data flow over the internet from connected devices. Oh well. 

No, the travel router simply connects to the ships WiFi and you connect your devices to it via a separate WiFi connection.  What we use it for is to avoid having to log out to use a different device, e.g. laptop instead of iPad, in the room. 

I use my DW’s account for the travel router and use mine for my iPhone.  My DW very seldom uses her devices outside of the room but I always have my iPhone. 

• Like 1

On 10/25/2023 at 2:48 PM, NutsAboutGolf said:

Makes sense.  If you bring a windows laptop or Mac, they can both be used as a WiFi repeater right out of the box, no hardware or software required

Agree -  I've done it multiple times but it does take a bit of tweaking if you want to inject a VPN into the signal.    Nord and Express both have pretty good instruction on how to do it but took me almost a full day to get it running.   So much easier to use a Travel Router with OpenVPN.

I use the shared WiFi Connect in order to be able spoof location for streaming.

• Like 1

On 10/25/2023 at 2:42 PM, Jeremiah1212 said:

If you do this there is a good chance your iMessages will stop working...just fyi. 

I always turn off Auto Time while on a ship.   

A FitBit doesn't like manually changing the time.   If you manually change it the time will not sync to my FitBit.    I have to find a timezone that matches ships time and then Syn my watch.   It also need WiFi connected even though it is a bluetooth connection.   I've been doing this for 5 years and iMessage has not been affected.

I don't have a iWatch so never played with the syncing of time. 

11 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

I always turn off Auto Time while on a ship.   

A FitBit doesn't like manually changing the time.   If you manually change it the time will not sync to my FitBit.    I have to find a timezone that matches ships time and then Syn my watch.   It also need WiFi connected even though it is a bluetooth connection.   I've been doing this for 5 years and iMessage has not been affected.

I don't have a iWatch so never played with the syncing of time. 

I don’t know what an iWatch is but I have not had any problem manually changing the time on my Apple Watch. 

On 10/23/2023 at 2:32 PM, Charles4515 said:

I love that watch face!

There are so many Snoopy watch face animation clips (when you raise your wrist to read the watch) that most of the time they are ones I have not seen.  Today there are special Halloween watch faces!

image.png.3e54346eabfd7fa398789452d8cc19f1.png

image.png.d85e59641e8b9b6239ecf8ebaa658bfd.png

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, mahdnc said:

There are so many Snoopy watch face animation clips (when you raise your wrist to read the watch) that most of the time they are ones I have not seen.  Today there are special Halloween watch faces!

image.png.3e54346eabfd7fa398789452d8cc19f1.png

image.png.d85e59641e8b9b6239ecf8ebaa658bfd.png

Thanks for the heads up! I was not using the Snoopy face this morning.