Queen Anne

Minnie29

7 hours ago, WantedOnVoyage said:

Either way, it presents an appalling prospect....

Or put another way, Contemporary Art [and all art has been contemporary at some time in a work's life] is thought provoking.

It's certainly succeeded in the last few comments. 🙂

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Whereas I loved it! So bright and colourful and cheerful.

Then again, I loved Queen Anne in general. Yes, I would have preferred a few more paintings of previous ships (largely so I can go, "Ooh, Uncle Bert worked on her in the 1920! Great-Grandpa did a few TAs on her in 1948!") but I'd be perfectly happy to sail on her again.

To me, Cunard's stand-out quality is the service, and I got that, which meant Annie felt like a Proper Cunarder.

Also, that MDR is proper lush. Well sparkly.

• Like 9

18 minutes ago, Clewgarnet said:

Then again, I loved Queen Anne in general. Yes, I would have preferred a few more paintings of previous ships (largely so I can go, "Ooh, Uncle Bert worked on her in the 1920! Great-Grandpa did a few TAs on her in 1948!") but I'd be perfectly happy to sail on her again.

To me, Cunard's stand-out quality is the service, and I got that, which meant Annie felt like a Proper Cunarder.

I think that MDR is absolutely stunningly gorgeous, though I might mention another room that is not…But that dining room is one of the most beautiful rooms I’ve ever seen, so light and ethereal.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Clewgarnet said:

Yes loved it too

It's not the same as the other 3, but that's a good thing. It gives choice and it's perfectly possibly to love more than one style

And yes, the service was fantastic, and was almost too good (quick) in the PG restaurant

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Planning to cruise said:

I wasnt too keen on the statue / fixture by a corner of the Pavilion Pool on QA.  To me, it was like a pile of lego that seemed more appropriate in a nursery school and just got in the way of circulation.   

It's the letters that spell CUNARD. I must have walked past it a half dozen times before I figured that out. 

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, Pear Carr said:

There were a few things we liked on QA but the negatives outweighed the positives and unless we get a great deal on a not to be missed itinerary she is not for us at the moment!

Our sentiments exactly.    

I am aware from posts on this site that the new Cunarder hits the spot for many but definitely not for us.  I ll stick to the other 3 Cunard ships as and when they are in Southampton.   

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Planning to cruise said:

Our sentiments exactly.    

I am aware from posts on this site that the new Cunarder hits the spot for many but definitely not for us.  I ll stick to the other 3 Cunard ships as and when they are in Southampton.   

I can understand your viewpoint. We too would not be choosing QA if QV/QE were home porting in Southampton but as I do not like QM2 and the Vistas are playing away from 'home' during the summer months, we have no real choice so we grin and make the best of it, which isn't too difficult to be fair. 🙂

I would imagine we're not alone with this 'dilemma'.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

I can understand your viewpoint. We too would not be choosing QA if QV/QE were home porting in Southampton but as I do not like QM2 and the Vistas are playing away from 'home' during the summer months, we have no real choice so we grin and make the best of it, which isn't too difficult to be fair. 🙂

I would imagine we're not alone with this 'dilemma'.

You are not. I do very much like (most of) QA, though.

• Like 1

We have similar thoughts in preferring QV/QE than QA but fortunate that QM2 is our preferred Cunard ship but unfortunately she doesn't do many cruises besides her TAs from Southampton.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

It's the letters that spell CUNARD. I must have walked past it a half dozen times before I figured that out. 

Found the picture! The letters were easier to identify if viewed from above.

And I found the picture of the "brag wall."

IMG_20240606_160518630a.jpg

IMG_20240606_160039709.jpg

Edited by 3rdGenCunarder
  • Like 2

56 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

Found the picture! The letters were easier to identify if viewed from above.

And I found the picture of the "brag wall."

IMG_20240606_160518630a.jpg

IMG_20240606_160039709.jpg

Cool!  I love imagination in art, no matter what form it takes. 

• Like 3

Just now, Clewgarnet said:

I generally like modern art, but that looks like something I'd have produced for my (failed) art GCSE.

Mind you, you can see why the poor lady looks so miserable, having been perpetually pregnant and had 15 children, none of whom survived childhood.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Clewgarnet said:

I generally like modern art, but that looks like something I'd have produced for my (failed) art GCSE.

Ah but it's not Modern or even Post Modern...it's Contemporary! 😁

• Haha 1

A policeman friend of mine, told a true story of when Paisley Sheriff Court was refurbished.

At the entrance foyer, they installed a large modern art painting which was just a splurge of colours. I can't remember the artist's name, but they also put a wee plaque beside the painting, something like "Sunrise by Jeannie McTavish".

Some wag, with a felt marker, added "aged 4".

• Haha 5

2 minutes ago, BigMac1953 said:

A policeman friend of mine, told a true story of when Paisley Sheriff Court was refurbished.

At the entrance foyer, they installed a large modern art painting which was just a splurge of colours. I can't remember the artist's name, but they also put a wee plaque beside the painting, something like "Sunrise by Jeannie McTavish".

But we must not despise the very young. On the cliff top here, there is a memorial to a Red Arrow pilot who crashed in a display. It is universally liked and appreciated. It was designed by two children, one 9, one 10, in a competition for primary school pupils. Perhaps Cunard could have one.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, BigMac1953 said:

I'm thinking of retaking my Art 'O' Level in order to upgrade my basic pass - grade 6 and that was only due to a great History of Art paper apparently - as I think I can 'do' Contemporary.🙂

So saying, I do like some of the pieces on QA.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BigMac1953 said:

The wag could have been right. When I was a kid, we had a neighbor who worked at an ad agency on Madison Ave in NYC. He had a party for colleagues and neighbors, and the work crowd were all excited over Don's new contemporary painting. Mom said, "I think it looks like Nancy (one of their kids) did it." Later, Don told Mom she was right. It was the scribblings of the four-year-old. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Clewgarnet said:

Note that there's no signature or identifying plaque. I'm not sure any of the art was signed, other than the two Stephen Card ship paintings I found in the pub. Perhaps because the artists were minors and there's some law protecting the identity of children?

5 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

Note that there's no signature or identifying plaque. I'm not sure any of the art was signed, other than the two Stephen Card ship paintings I found in the pub. Perhaps because the artists were minors and there's some law protecting the identity of children?

Yes I also noticed no signatures or identifiers. I went to Clarendon Fine Art gallery to ask if there was a list or guide and they said they didn't know what the art was either, and to check with the entertainment team! They also said some passengers found that the Google Lens app identified the artworks, but I tried that on several stairway pieces to no avail.