Queen Anne

Minnie29

I understand that Queen Anne is loosely similar to one of the Holland America ships? 
If so…. Which ship and would the cabins be similar in layout.

we have booked a Queen Anne cruise next year in one of the obstructed view cabins on Deck 4 which is configured a different way. Wander if anyone has photos of the same cabins on the Holland America ship?

Thank you

Queen Anne is a Pinnacle class ship similar to the three ships in that class in the Holland America fleet: Koningsdam, Nieuw Statendam and Rotterdam. The specs for those Holland America ships are 99,863 GT, 300m length and 2,650 passengers.

Queen Anne is a somewhat larger version of the Pinnacle class at 113,000 GT, 322.5m length and approximately 3,000 passengers.

If you look at the deck plans for Koningsdam, Nieuw Statendam and Rotterdam you will see they are quite similar to the deck plans for Queen Anne. It appears the Rotterdam deck plan is the closest when it comes to the obstructed view cabins on deck four which are oriented differently from the rest.

I don't know if Cunard will be using the same cabin layouts on Queen Anne as on those other three Holland America Pinnacle class ships. But the "cruisedeckplans" site is a good place to start for photos/videos of similarly positioned cabins on those Holland America ships.

Edited by bluemarble
  • Like 2

Hi,

I am booked on the Rotterdam this November and the Queen Anne's Maiden World Voyage in 2025. It will be interesting to compare the two ships.

I think that Cunard did an excellent job of distinguishing the Queen Elizabeth and the Queen Victoria from the Holland America ships that are built on the same general platform. I have cruised aboard the Zuiderdam, Westerdam, and Eurodam as well as the Queen Elizabeth and Queen Victoria. I am hoping that the Queen Anne (especially the public areas) will be similarly distinctive from the Holland America Pinnacle Class ships. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, bluemarble said:

Queen Anne is a Pinnacle class ship similar to the three ships in that class in the Holland America fleet: Koningsdam, Nieuw Statendam and Rotterdam. The specs for those Holland America ships are 99,863 GT, 300m length and 2,650 passengers.

Queen Anne is a somewhat larger version of the Pinnacle class at 113,000 GT, 322.5m length and approximately 3,000 passengers.

If you look at the deck plans for Koningsdam, Nieuw Statendam and Rotterdam you will see they are quite similar to the deck plans for Queen Anne. It appears the Rotterdam deck plan is the closest when it comes to the obstructed view cabins on deck four which are oriented differently from the rest.

I don't know if Cunard will be using the same cabin layouts on Queen Anne as on those other three Holland America Pinnacle class ships. But the "cruisedeckplans" site is a good place to start for photos/videos of similarly positioned cabins on those Holland America ships.

It seems that there are more “suites” category cabins on QA vs HAL Rotterdam. The rooms on the Rotterdam are very nice and modern looking. I am hopeful based on what I see from Rotterdam. 

Alll of which makes one appreciate QM2 all the more... she will most likely be the last ship specifically designed for Cunard Line.  While I like the "Vistas" (sailed in NIEUW AMSTERDAM, EURODAM, QE and QV) a lot, the Pinnacle class holds zero appeal. 3,000 passengers? No thanks. QM2 remains special.  Not a "badge engineered" off the shelf design.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don't think sister ships built for the same line are "off the shelf" now are they? The ships you mentioned were unique to the line and purpose.  Holland America Line had ships with the same concept as MEDIA/PARTHIA but wholly different in appearance, accommodation, decor etc. QA is still a K'DAM with grill accommodation and a different funnel. Just is. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, WantedOnVoyage said:

I don't think sister ships built for the same line are "off the shelf" now are they? The ships you mentioned were unique to the line and purpose.  Holland America Line had ships with the same concept as MEDIA/PARTHIA but wholly different in appearance, accommodation, decor etc. QA is still a K'DAM with grill accommodation and a different funnel. Just is. 

No, just how you see it.

• Like 4

19 hours ago, seacruise9 said:

Hi,

I am booked on the Rotterdam this November and the Queen Anne's Maiden World Voyage in 2025. It will be interesting to compare the two ships.

I think that Cunard did an excellent job of distinguishing the Queen Elizabeth and the Queen Victoria from the Holland America ships that are built on the same general platform. I have cruised aboard the Zuiderdam, Westerdam, and Eurodam as well as the Queen Elizabeth and Queen Victoria. I am hoping that the Queen Anne (especially the public areas) will be similarly distinctive from the Holland America Pinnacle Class ships. 

5 hours ago, Victoria2 said:

Oh how I agree. Don't pronounce on the product until it's tried

and if 'you' haven't tried it, don't criticise.

I am certainly hopeful on QA; she looks modern and sleek. QA has a passenger to tonnage ratio of 34 and that is about average for a “cruise” ship. QE/QV ratio is 36 while unique QM2 has a ratio of 46. A comparable Celebrity ship is in the mid-30’s. 
I would still like to see Cunard build one more true ocean liner in the next build out go-around. 

10 hours ago, NE John said:

I am certainly hopeful on QA; she looks modern and sleek. QA has a passenger to tonnage ratio of 34 and that is about average for a “cruise” ship. QE/QV ratio is 36 while unique QM2 has a ratio of 46. A comparable Celebrity ship is in the mid-30’s. 
I would still like to see Cunard build one more true ocean liner in the next build out go-around. 

Well, isn’t the next one going to be 250 (or some other significant number)? Surely they would want something really special?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, NE John said:

Depends how deep the coffers are and if it would be worth it.

My brain says probably not, on both counts.

Having done a few roundtrip TAs on QM2 at differing times of the year they are always very popular with people from all over the world. Iconic way of travelling transatlantic and can see QM2 lasting for a good few years yet. Nobody knows what need there will be for a cruise ship or liner and is anyone's guess what will be built in the future. 

3 hours ago, Victoria2 said:

Depends how deep the coffers are and if it would be worth it.

My brain says probably not, on both counts.

Not sure either way but I like @exlondoner’s thoughts about the big 2-5-0 ship coming up as fanfare for a new liner. QM2 is not getting younger and has had a rough year. 

2 minutes ago, NE John said:

Not sure either way but I like @exlondoner’s thoughts about the big 2-5-0 ship coming up as fanfare for a new liner. QM2 is not getting younger and has had a rough year. 

But she was built to last. They thought QE2 would last 25 years, and she lasted nearly 40, despite leading quite a hard life with a lot of TAs at high speed.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, jaypo63 said:

What will Cunard do when their old ships need to retire? We mostly sail on QE & QV and they are both getting very tired.Booked on QA over Christmas & new year 2025,hopefully the WiFi will be better lol 

Surely they are barely middle aged. I didn’t think QV seemed tired at all when I was on her.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, jaypo63 said:

What will Cunard do when their old ships need to retire? We mostly sail on QE & QV and they are both getting very tired.Booked on QA over Christmas & new year 2025,hopefully the WiFi will be better lol 

Hi, 

I cruised aboard the Queen Elizabeth in August 2023 and thought the ship looked great. This was my first cruise on the Queen Elizabeth since 2012. I think the ship is holding up very nicely.

• Like 2

Most older ships are sold to other lines and rebranded or they are scrapped. Very few are turned into a floating hotel like QE2 or QM. 
However the SS United States is still a ghostly figure tied up to the Philadelphia wharves. 

Guest SilverHengroen
15 hours ago, jaypo63 said:

I don't mean they're falling to bits or anything but definitely getting old,don't get me wrong,I'll never sail with anyone else now but what WILL happen when they have to retire them?

Mid life, not old. Queen Victoria is just shy of 16 and likely to see 25-35 years of service, depending on market factors, her structural and machinery fatigue, and how much money Carnival is willing to reinvest to keep her going. Similar equation for QE, though she is a couple of years younger, and IIRC has a few structural refinements* which might work even more in her favour. If they get an offer to turn them into hotels, then likely that. If they don't, then off to the scrappers like hundreds before them. I can't really imagine Cunard's fleet being sold off to a minor line and rebranded (too prestigious, relatively unique cabin:mini-suite:suite ratio, very particular decor) I think their whole service life will be with Cunard. They were absolutely adamant with Queen Mary and QE2 that the vessels were never to sail commercial voyages again. That was written into the terms of sale for both ships. 

* this is just a vague memory from the time she entered service and I can't find anything concrete about it, so feel free to take this with a pinch of large flake sea salt. 

16 hours ago, jaypo63 said:

I don't mean they're falling to bits or anything but definitely getting old,don't get me wrong,I'll never sail with anyone else now but what WILL happen when they have to retire them?

Other than simple numbers, what are the signs you see of getting old?