Selbourne ‘Live’ from Ventura

Selbourne

Silk and Spice is our go to wine , love it .  We always buy the  Captains club wine bottle package so works out  cheaper too by doing that . We have a glass at dinner then take the rest with us to a bar and finish it  there , we don't buy drinks packages with P&O.. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

Roasted Classic Tomato Soup isn't really posh though and not raising expectations too high MB

It's just making an effort on the description like they have with the rest

As it stands it certainly seems the boring choice

The fact it's got  basil oil does elevate it slightly 

What about ‘Heinz Cream of Tomato Soup’ (catering size)?

Edited by pete14
  • Haha 6

On 11/2/2023 at 10:10 AM, Selbourne said:

Epicurean menus from last night and our Crepes Suzette, prepared as it should be 😂 👍

IMG_0858.jpeg

IMG_0859.jpeg

IMG_0861.jpeg

I had the crepes last week on Azura, absolutely delicious. We were so impressed with Epicurean. 

• Like 5

25 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

It's still tomato soup whatever you disguise it as.  If you give it a posh name people will expect more and be disappointed and complain. You only have to read the comments here of those who call it uninviting, boring etc.  Best not to try to dress up the pig's ear so to speak, it is what it is.

….and as it is on the menu every single night people might just rumble it 😂 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Selbourne said:

😂 Here are the two tubs that greeted us this morning. Look as though they’ve done the rounds a few times already 🤢 😂 

IMG_0887.jpeg

The marmalade portion is more generous than the buffet ones.  But if you look carefully at the bottom of the pot you can see virgin plastic, this would certainly not be the case if it was a recycled used pot.

IMHO all returned pots will be emptied into the slop bucket and then put in the dish washer. Whether this is more wasteful than little bottles I would probably argue there's not much in it. But it will be a hell of a lot cheaper to buy giant sized catering tins than the prissy little labelled bottles.

1 minute ago, terrierjohn said:

The marmalade portion is more generous than the buffet ones.  But if you look carefully at the bottom of the pot you can see virgin plastic, this would certainly not be the case if it was a recycled used pot.

IMHO all returned pots will be emptied into the slop bucket and then put in the dish washer. Whether this is more wasteful than little bottles I would probably argue there's not much in it. But it will be a hell of a lot cheaper to buy giant sized catering tins than the prissy little labelled bottles.

I don’t doubt that it’s cheaper as that would undoubtedly have been the motivator for the change. Where it falls down (other than food waste) is that I have seen waiters move uncovered pots table to table - presumably if they think the previous occupants didn’t use them. Problem is those occupants may have still coughed etc over them. We’ve also notice a few flies in the dining rooms that must enjoy this approach also 😂 

It’s a minor issue though. Come to think of it, I might take some of the leftover conserves to try to lubricate the creaking joints in our cabin. I got the idea from one of the maintenance guys. We couldn’t loosen the shower head adjuster. He couldn’t either - even with grips. His solution? Smear the pole with shower gel 😂 

• Like 4

Just now, Selbourne said:

I don’t doubt that it’s cheaper as that would undoubtedly have been the motivator for the change. Where it falls down (other than food waste) is that I have seen waiters move uncovered pots table to table - presumably if they think the previous occupants didn’t use them. Problem is those occupants may have still coughed etc over them. We’ve also notice a few flies in the dining rooms that must enjoy this approach also 😂 

It’s a minor issue though. Come to think of it, I might take some of the leftover conserves to try to lubricate the creaking joints in our cabin. I got the idea from one of the maintenance guys. We couldn’t loosen the shower head adjuster. He couldn’t either - even with grips. His solution? Smear the pole with shower gel 😂 

Simple answer, go to the buffet for breakfast, there you can pick up your own virgin conserve pot!!!👍

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

I don’t doubt that it’s cheaper as that would undoubtedly have been the motivator for the change. Where it falls down (other than food waste) is that I have seen waiters move uncovered pots table to table - presumably if they think the previous occupants didn’t use them. 😂 😂

You can never account for human error or interference to spoil a plan

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

Roasted Classic Tomato Soup isn't really posh though and not raising expectations too high MB

It's just making an effort on the description like they have with the rest

As it stands it certainly seems the boring choice

The fact it's got  basil oil does elevate it slightly 

What if it's not roasted and is just a cream tomato (not Heinz)?  Classic indicates simple I'd accept that might do, but the truth is it's tomato soup, no extras just part of the old always available menu. It's generally picked by the unadventurous or those who like plain food.  Saying its "roasted" takes away the familiarity element for the passengers P&O know choose it, probably the same ones who like the much maligned roasts or steak/chicken and chips.

• Like 3

On 11/3/2023 at 9:36 AM, Selbourne said:

Thank you. The people in question would have had absolutely no idea why we left as we weren’t on their table and we asked to be seated in a completely different area well out of sight so as not to cause any potential embarrassment. We are not insensitive to these issues, but could not have eaten where we were, nor should we have to. 

I have a keen sense of smell and would have moved too Selbourne.

You were both tactful in how you moved.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TigerB said:

If those have come from another table, and have previously had buttery knives dipped into them, that is outrageous.

Not pleasant for a vegan, with the dairy contamination, but potentially extremely dangerous for a coeliac. For the latter, it doesn't even matter if a knife hasn't been dipped in it; all it takes is a previous table user, who has touched toast or other gluten containing food item, to then touch the outside of the ramekin with the same hand. That small level of contamination is potentially dangerous for a coeliac, more so for one that has high gluten sensitivity like our daughter.

Not good at all!😠

Perhaps the ' contamination ' is the residue from the spoon used by the kitchen to fill the pots in. No evidence that they have been on other tables.

13 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

What if it's not roasted and is just a cream tomato (not Heinz)?  Classic indicates simple I'd accept that might do, but the truth is it's tomato soup, no extras just part of the old always available menu. It's generally picked by the unadventurous or those who like plain food.  Saying its "roasted" takes away the familiarity element for the passengers P&O know choose it, probably the same ones who like the much maligned roasts or steak/chicken and chips.

Just classic would at least help make it sound nicer

2 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Perhaps the ' contamination ' is the residue from the spoon used by the kitchen to fill the pots in. No evidence that they have been on other tables.

I didn't say they were contaminated, and it didn't look to me that any butter or toast crumbs were present, hence I started my comment with 'if'. The photo was posted by @Selbourne, so I bow to his confirmation as the end-user that there was no evidence of double dipping.

However, if he has seen the pots moved from table to table, then the contamination risk to coeliacs still exists.

• Like 2

A few shots from a cloudy but still warm (24 degrees) Gran Canaria. There’s a huge beach with a very long (and wheelchair user friendly) promenade. Also, the sand is the right colour here 😂 

IMG_0889.jpeg

IMG_0890.jpeg

IMG_0891.jpeg

IMG_0892.jpeg

Edited by Selbourne
  • Like 15

3 hours ago, Selbourne said:

Yes I can’t say I’ve ever learned much from them that I hadn’t already heard, but I have retained every Horizon and Britain Today from every cruise we have ever done, with a view that when we can no longer cruise we can look back and reminisce 😂 

I am glad I am not the only one. I don’t keep the Britain Today but I do keep everything else  I take a plastic A4 popper wallet with me to put everything in at the end of the day to keep clean.  Then I have a box at home they go into. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Megabear2 said:

I would be annoyed if my always available tomato soup was jazzed up. I make no excuse I like plain food. I am no stranger to the steak and chips option. I would not give a thank you for the enhanced menu so won’t be trying that. Great thing though there is choice. I like plain boring menus but appreciate others have more sophisticated tastes and enjoy meals I don’t. 

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Selbourne said:

Thanks Cathy. P&O go to Lanzarote on Sundays - when all the shops are closed! Suppose they have to be somewhere on Sunday, but it’s a shame it’s the ugliest place 🙄

I thought that when I first went to Lanzarote 30 years ago but it's grown on me. I love all the little white houses with bouganvillias and the work of Cesar Manrique. From Arrecife you can also get a local bus to Costa Teguise and I think Playa Blanca.

• Like 4

Our favourite area in Lanzarote is Playa Chica beach, Puerto del Carmen. A small local restaurant, although it is basic,  it does lovely local dishes, fresh tuna or sardines with canarian potatoes and a carafe of wine are very nice. A short walk to the harbour is also worthwhile.

• Like 5

We’re off to lanzarote and calling in on a Thursday and watching a few YouTube videos of what to do in Arrecife this time as we have done the north of the island and fire mountain and camels and 1000 palms etc , what I need now is Wowzz to come back on here and give us guidance of what to do as he’s a Lanzarote pro 😁

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Selbourne said:

Yes I can’t say I’ve ever learned much from them that I hadn’t already heard, but I have retained every Horizon and Britain Today from every cruise we have ever done, with a view that when we can no longer cruise we can look back and reminisce 😂 

2 hours ago, Winifred 22 said:

I am glad I am not the only one. I don’t keep the Britain Today but I do keep everything else  I take a plastic A4 popper wallet with me to put everything in at the end of the day to keep clean.  Then I have a box at home they go into. 

Yup! Another hoarder here!

I can just imagine the kids clearing the house out when we pop off...🤭

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

20 minutes ago, TigerB said:

Yup! Another hoarder here!

I can just imagine the kids clearing the house out when we pop off...🤭

I always used to say to my parents that the first thing that I’d have to do when the last one of them popped off was to get a skip. I suspect that our kids think the same about us. Well, almost. They’d need 2 skips 😂 

• Haha 7

7 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

I always used to say to my parents that the first thing that I’d have to do when the last one of them popped off was to get a skip. I suspect that our kids think the same about us. Well, almost. They’d need 2 skips 😂 

8 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

I look at it as having the last word. I will have spent years running round after them and their families. Yes I am definitely going with the two skips option  too. 🤣🤣🚚🚚

• Haha 6

3 hours ago, Winifred 22 said:

I would be annoyed if my always available tomato soup was jazzed up. I make no excuse I like plain food. I am no stranger to the steak and chips option. I would not give a thank you for the enhanced menu so won’t be trying that. Great thing though there is choice. I like plain boring menus but appreciate others have more sophisticated tastes and enjoy meals I don’t. 

Do you ask for the tomato soup to be served without the basil oil or croutons?

Edited by Interestedcruisefan