Tipping tour guides

7 minutes ago, Worldtraveler 4727 said:

I realize this might have been asked and answered, but please bear with this American…….

Does a tour guide who has traveled with your group for a week around Australia expect a tip?

Everyone loves a tip.

In general Australians get paid a minimum living wage, so tipping is not generally done, however in the tourist industry we do tend to tip the guides, a small amount.

I usually tip in those circumstances around $5 to $10, its not a set percentage, and only if you felt they did an excellent job.

Regards

John

8 minutes ago, Worldtraveler 4727 said:

@Ozwoody would that be for the week, and would it be totally inappropriate to tip in USD?

thank you for your time~

I was thinking in terms of a day tour, I have not done any multi day tours, but would think, the above amount per day would be about right, assuming the service provided was worth it.

If the service provided was really excellent I would probably increase the amount of tip.

I'm also assuming your tour is a group tour, small tips can then mount up.

So do take that into account as well.

As far as US$, I doubt anyone would be unhappy with receiving them.

But remember to take the exchange rate into account.

The current AUD$ is worth about 60cents USD.

Regards

John

Yes, that would be for a week, and it is not absolutely necessary, except if you feel the tour guide went above and beyond.

Of course, you should not tip in US dollars. You are not in the US. Your currency does not work here. The tour guide would have to take it somewhere and change it to Australian dollars.  Use your debit card and get some AUD from an ATM when you arrive. I'd get $5, $10 and $20 notes  Our currency is very stylish, and much easier to understand than the US dollar, as there are different colours for each amount.

https://banknotes.rba.gov.au/australias-banknotes/banknotes-in-circulation/twenty-dollar/

• Like 5

Come on guys, their a tourist, its no big deal to exchange US to AUD, any bank can do it.

I have been overseas, and lacked ready local currency and tipped in AUD, people were happy to take anything, it was much better than nothing.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ozwoody said:

Come on guys, their a tourist, its no big deal to exchange US to AUD, any bank can do it.

I have been overseas, and lacked ready local currency and tipped in AUD, people were happy to take anything, it was much better than nothing.

Thank you. I did think USD would be welcome over nothing — not ideal, but surely better. 

A tip would definately be welcome.

Not expected, but a nice surprise.

However, for a WEEK of tour guiding and two people, anything under $50 (AUD) would be somewhat stingy. Then better nothing. 

As for the USD vs AUD argument, I find it mildly patronising that Americans still think their USD is universally loved. Perhaps 50 years ago and/or in "3rd world countries "...

• Like 8

4 minutes ago, buchhalm said:

As for the USD vs AUD argument, I find it mildly patronising that Americans still think their USD is universally loved. Perhaps 50 years ago and/or in "3rd world countries "...

Yes, that's my idea also. I doubt anyone in the US would thank me if I tried to pay for anything in Australian dollars.

I can't imagine a seasoned "World Traveller" who does not have a debit or credit card without forex fees.  It's a basic necessity for travel these days.  Unless, of course, you only go on group tours and someone is paid to take care of everything for you. 

• Like 5

I would say no to tipping a guide. However, it's your choice. No also to USD. Having worked in a bank I know that there is also a fee built in to changing. Also, banks are becoming hard to find nowadays.

• Like 9

@buchhalm Sigh. I truly am NOT coming from an ethnocentric point of view— regardless of your opinion that Americans think USD (and anything else) is welcome worldwide. 
I was on CC months before asking this same question, and was assured by many that  Australia was #1 a country whose citizens enjoyed a living wage, and while tips might be welcome, they are not necessary. #2 I was assured that I did not need cash, and so far that is absolutely true. 
Having leftover euros, yen, pounds, and pesos at home, I hated to possibly add AUD to the unused piles. 
Therefore, I brought no AUD with me. 
I am asking this question again to receive some reassurance about doing what is correct in this culture. 
Thank you to all who helpfully and kindly reply. 

44 minutes ago, Worldtraveler 4727 said:

@buchhalm Sigh. I truly am NOT coming from an ethnocentric point of view— regardless of your opinion that Americans think USD (and anything else) is welcome worldwide. 
I was on CC months before asking this same question, and was assured by many that  Australia was #1 a country whose citizens enjoyed a living wage, and while tips might be welcome, they are not necessary. #2 I was assured that I did not need cash, and so far that is absolutely true. 
Having leftover euros, yen, pounds, and pesos at home, I hated to possibly add AUD to the unused piles. 
I am asking this question again to receive some reassurance about doing what is correct in this culture. 

Save yourself the trouble, and a genuine thankyou  would do for good service.

We are more cash free than USA and pay for things with cards mostly, especially with Covid restrictions in recent years and handing cash around.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Worldtraveler 4727 said:

I am here and halfway through the week-long group tour. 

There is absolutely no need to tip. The tour guide is most likely on a minimum of $60,000 PA plus expenses. This is above our minimum. A sincere thank you, and if he went above & beyond, a box of chocolates or slab of beer would be gratefully received. Also a 5* review would more than suffice.

Tips are received because we are too polite to refuse, but believe me, they are not needed.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

I wouldn't bother tipping, never have in Australia. 

If you would like to tip then if you have nothing else I think USD would be fine. They probably put it in a jar and when they get enough to be bothered they take it to a bank or wherever and cash it in. They probably get all sorts of money.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Worldtraveler 4727 said:

Its not necessary to tip, but if you do, you can do it in US dollars. As long as they are notes and not coins the guide can change them at any bank or money changers. I'm sure they get tips in lots of different currencies.

You should take your other foreign money on a cruise with you, I get rid of mine with tips all the time. As long as they are notes, they can change them on board. Or you can pay part of your on board account in any currency.

• Like 2

I recall when we travelled around New Zealand several years ago we were on a group tour. There were six Aussies and six Americans. The Americans all tipped the driver and guide, but none of us Aussies did, and that seemed to be expected. We only tipped when on a free tour, but not when on a paid tour. The same when travelling in Australia.

• Like 4

Just now, Galesa said:

No offence but I'm not sure how a person manages without a card to draw cash from a cash machine these days. Do you go to the bank and withdraw cash at home everytime you need money?

I'm guessing, most likely cash cheques.

31 minutes ago, yes!yes!yes! said:

Its not necessary to tip, but if you do, you can do it in US dollars. As long as they are notes and not coins the guide can change them at any bank or money changers. I'm sure they get tips in lots of different currencies.

You should take your other foreign money on a cruise with you, I get rid of mine with tips all the time. As long as they are notes, they can change them on board. Or you can pay part of your on board account in any currency.

This chap is on a cruise and land tour with Princess now

Cheers Carole

• Like 1