Cruising on Queen Victoria with walking difficulties

fabnfortysomething

4 hours ago, Victoria2 said:

We are used to the form filling and our agent now keeps a copy and files it with Cunard for us although last time, we weren't on the list either in S'to, and were given 'the letter', rather officiously too I thought.

However, knowing we were on the list, I listened to the spiel with, I have to say, growing impatience as I too didn't really appreciate being given 'the letter', then asked to see 'the list.

Yes our named cabin  was on 'the list' but with the incorrect cabin number. Oh derrrrr! Which dept. messed that up, I have no idea but it's bad enough needing wheelchair assistance without the added hassle of being told you haven't filled out the correct forms!

We got a profuse apology before we embarked.

yes their systems are definitely "not fit for purpose"

lets hope this new system works better

not good being made to feel like naughty children when you know you are in the right!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fabnfortysomething said:

yes their systems are definitely "not fit for purpose"

lets hope this new system works better

not good being made to feel like naughty children when you know you are in the right!

Speaking as a long term user of assistance, I think not fit for purpose is a tad unfair as normally, assistance runs like clockwork but unfortunately, the odd occasion when things don't run smoothly, is the occasion which stands out.

but you're right with your last line, difference for us is we received a fulsome apology.

14 hours ago, Victoria2 said:

Speaking as a long term user of assistance, I think not fit for purpose is a tad unfair as normally, assistance runs like clockwork but unfortunately, the odd occasion when things don't run smoothly, is the occasion which stands out.

but you're right with your last line, difference for us is we received a fulsome apology.

not ftt for purpose is the expression 6 used as a retired IT guy for the online system trail in that the contact us link doesnt get to correct department-in our case to flights assistance

the actual experience of wheelchair assistance is actually much better than with NCL where you dont see a wheelchair until you have checked in

Cunard obviously agree as they are changing way to book via manage my booking

they say all passengers will be notified so lets see

hope to bump into you on a future cruise

I'm booked on QV in January (segment of WC), and just received an email reminding passengers to advise Cunard in advance if they might need assistance in the case of an emergency (such as an evacuation chair or one-to-one assistance, even if you're travelling with a companion.) They mention a questionnaire on my.cunard  (although the URL included in the email goes to a 502 - Bad Gateway, so Cunard IT gonna Cunard IT, I guess.) 

17 minutes ago, neeuqdrazil said:

I'm booked on QV in January (segment of WC), and just received an email reminding passengers to advise Cunard in advance if they might need assistance in the case of an emergency (such as an evacuation chair or one-to-one assistance, even if you're travelling with a companion.) They mention a questionnaire on my.cunard  (although the URL included in the email goes to a 502 - Bad Gateway, so Cunard IT gonna Cunard IT, I guess.) 

I just had the same email, and our cruise isn’t until May. I haven’t tried to do anything about it yet, as who know what decrepit state we may be in by then, but it is both ridiculous and reassuring that the IT doesn't work.

3 minutes ago, techteach said:

I received 2 emails one for each of our booked cruises. The latest is December, 2025.

Ditto here for that same email for Alaska in June. There must be some big problems happening on embarkation day to warrant these emails. 
I wonder if pax above a certain age are receiving these emails or if this was blasted out to everyone boarding?

I’m celebrating a big decade onboard QE next June and probably reacting a bit more sensitive than usual to these types of emails. We walked 7-10 miles a day in London over the summer and move around very well in general. We already signed up for a bicycle tour around a glacier in Alaska!
@techteach Yes, I see too many younger people in horrid and immobile condition and wonder what they’ll do when they reach my age. 

1 hour ago, neeuqdrazil said:

Well, I found a section in MyCunard called On Board Needs, which appears to link to it. I don’t know whether it works.

8 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

Well, I found a section in MyCunard called On Board Needs, which appears to link to it. I don’t know whether it works.

It does work.

I for one am very glad of this. We were told in the summer, 'changes' were in the pipeline and now we have them. Now no one can say they didn't know of the need to inform Cunard of even a relatively minor problem, such as requiring a walking stick for extra stability.

What is interesting is this.

All guests must arrive at the time indicated on the boarding pass as this will ensure you board as quickly as possible. There is no priority or fast-track facility.

That will stymie a few who have used assistance to gain early  access to the ship.

4 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

It does work.

I for one am very glad of this. We were told in the summer, 'changes' were in the pipeline and now we have them. Now no one can say they didn't know of the need to inform Cunard of even a relatively minor problem, such as requiring a walking stick for extra stability.

What is interesting is this.

All guests must arrive at the time indicated on the boarding pass as this will ensure you board as quickly as possible. There is no priority or fast-track facility.

That will stymie a few who have used assistance to gain early  access to the ship.

This doesn’t accord with the fact it said when I booked that QG passengers would get priority embarkation. They can’t rescind that, if it was promised when I booked. Or is it simply referring to passengers needing assistance?

9 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

This doesn’t accord with the fact it said when I booked that QG passengers would get priority embarkation. They can’t rescind that, if it was promised when I booked. Or is it simply referring to passengers needing assistance?

This is a form for assisted boarding and is completely separate from any other boarding priorities.

edit

My last line might have given a clue to fast tracking and assistance.

Edited by Victoria2

5 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

This is a form for assisted boarding and is completely separate from any other boarding priorities.

edit

My last line might have given a clue to fast tracking and assistance.

Yes indeed. But, on the other hand, the quoted passage does say ‘all guests’ which may well not be what it means.

2 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

Yes indeed. But, on the other hand, the quoted passage does say ‘all guests’ which may well not be what it means.

This is in the 'onboard needs' web page.

If 'you' have no reason to fill in anything pertaining to this and you do not require any assistance at all,  then nothing in the web pages will apply to 'you'.

4 minutes ago, Winifred 22 said:

I received them for everything booked for 2024 and even one from P& O which I completely forgot I had ever booked. I don’t think they are age related in anyway. 

Probably a belt and braces email so no one who has already booked, can say 'they didn't know about this'!

After reading posts on this board over the years from folk who hadn't read the small print, I can't say I blame Cunard. putting the small print into 'in your face' large.

• Like 3

Just now, Victoria2 said:

Probably a belt and braces email so no one who has already booked, can say 'they didn't know about this'!

After reading posts on this board over the years from folk who hadn't read the small print, I can't say I blame Cunard. putting the small print into 'in your face' large.

My sentiments too. There is no excuse now. If anyone chooses to think it doesn’t apply to them then you only have yourself to blame. At the end of the day for everyone’s safety they need to know who , where and what help is required in order to plan for any eventuality. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Winifred 22 said:

My sentiments too. There is no excuse now. If anyone chooses to think it doesn’t apply to them then you only have yourself to blame. At the end of the day for everyone’s safety they need to know who , where and what help is required in order to plan for any eventuality. 

Obviously a much less important issue, but it always amazes me, when people occasionally say they were astonished to discover after boarding that they were expected to dress up (ie not wear shorts) for dinner.

27 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

Obviously a much less important issue, but it always amazes me, when people occasionally say they were astonished to discover after boarding that they were expected to dress up (ie not wear shorts) for dinner.

Absolutely. 

59 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

But, but, but! How were they supposed to know? It's only mentioned a dozen times on the website, and included on my.cunard in a couple of different places (dress code on calendar, what to pack, probably at least one other location...)  (Tongue (hopefully) obviously firmly in cheek.)  

Edited by neeuqdrazil
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, exlondoner said:

Maybe an included  session at Specsavers with every [newbie?] booking so passengers are enabled to see[read]  the small and not so small print on the website.🥴

• Haha 2

On 10/31/2023 at 9:05 AM, fabnfortysomething said:

we really enjoy both

I prefer the smaller ships to the giants such as Escape where it can get too crowded in places

Cunard definitely is more elegant

to be honest the smart evening attire requested by Cunard is what we would wear on an evening on NCL even though it is billed as casual

the gala nights are fun to bring out the best clothes

possibly due to itinerary the 2 Cunard cruises we have done havent had many children on board and definitely an older/infirm clientele[so we fit in!]

not the adventure playgrounds to be found on NCL but they do have kids clubs 

We also much, much prefer smaller ships, it was looking for smaller vessels that we found Cunard... the other day a friend of my daughter said to watch a new program called The Good Ship Murder.... (as we are promoting Cunard cruising passionately to everyone!) ...is filmed in one of MSC's ships,  both my daughter and myself agreed, that kind of huge ships are NOT for us!  The program isn't all that either..... 

On 10/31/2023 at 6:03 PM, NE John said:

These sales people onboard will throw out a big number and see what sticks. We all have to be smart enough not to lose our mind as we breathe in sea air!

Similar to a guy in a jewelry shop on QM2 who nonchalantly quoted to DW the price of a necklace for $7,000…then said just wear it off the ship and don’t worry about paying duties, customs etc. 
That was one of the few times I was turned off about my experience on a Cunard ship. 

With us in the spa, the sales pitch didn't go as far as in the 1000s... more like between 300 and 700 US$, I know Elemis products are good, but we can buy cheaper in central London... what I was tempted to go for was the  insoles (not sure if that is the name) they offered after doing a posture assessment... I know they work, I used to have them growing up, but thought twice as I only am on my feet at home, so didn't go for it in the end... the massages were without a doubt the best massage we both have had in over 10 years.... the people working at the pa are so very nice...it was a shame that the sales pitch kinda broke a bit the whole enjoyment...nut not to the point of annoying us, so we will go back for more next cruise 🙂

On 11/2/2023 at 7:19 PM, fabnfortysomething said:

I would recommend this ship

as mentioned our cruising history is mostly with NCL but this is our 2nd Cunard and have booked Queen Anne for 2024

next cruise though is May next year with MSC for frst time

they have staus matched us and we are doing 5 day cruise out of Southampton and treating Dughter Son in law and Grandaughters to it

same here 🙂 I had my 65th birthday present in September West Med (a few days after my birthday but we were celebrating the whole week!)  Cunard is marvellous!!!

• Like 1