Princess vacation protection no longer available to canada BC residents

Bayside999

2 hours ago, Bayside999 said:

Anybody know why?  What do you use instead?  We like the cancel for any reason option.

Probably a similar reason as to why it's also not available in Quebec or New York state. Provincial/state regulations governing insurance won't allow some or all of the product to be sold in their jurisdiction.

Edited by lx200gps
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Bayside999 said:

Anybody know why?  What do you use instead?  We like the cancel for any reason option.

I don’t  know why, but we only used it once one our first cruise post Covid last yr since it covered Covid. The medical coverage if I recall wasn’t very much dollar wise, so we haven’t used it since. We have a premium credit card that has very good coverage, so we rely on that. If you’re over 65 that might not be an option though. Obviously it’s not CFAR, but you won’t find that with real insurance.

Have you visited the Canadian cruisers forum? There may be more good recommendations there. They are usually very knowledgeable.

Edited by sunviking90
  • Like 2

I am from BC and I booked last week and purchased the platinum insurance. I was on a call with  Princess later in the day I was told BC residents do not qualify so I cancelled the insurance . I went on the website and it only excludes Quebec so I called again to confirm and was told BC did qualify so I asked for the insurance to be put back on and they said I was past final payment and couldn't do it. I told them this all happened within 12 hours and to listen to the recorded phone call with previous agent. After 20 minutes on hold the insurance was put back on. I called the next day to speak with another agent to confirm I was covered and was told yes.

Anyone else have any experience to confirm my information.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, westcoastBC said:

I am from BC and I booked last week and purchased the platinum insurance. I was on a call with  Princess later in the day I was told BC residents do not qualify so I cancelled the insurance . I went on the website and it only excludes Quebec so I called again to confirm and was told BC did qualify so I asked for the insurance to be put back on and they said I was past final payment and couldn't do it. I told them this all happened within 12 hours and to listen to the recorded phone call with previous agent. After 20 minutes on hold the insurance was put back on. I called the next day to speak with another agent to confirm I was covered and was told yes.

Anyone else have any experience to confirm my information.

The website definitely shows that it is not available to residents of British Columbia (under product details):

Note that Princess Vacation Protection is not available to residents of the state of New York, British Columbia, Quebec, Puerto Rico, or Mexico.

https://www.princess.com/en-us/plan/princess-vacation-protection

Edited by Abercrombie2019
added link to page
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Abercrombie2019 said:

The website definitely shows that it is not available to residents of British Columbia (under product details):

Note that Princess Vacation Protection is not available to residents of the state of New York, British Columbia, Quebec, Puerto Rico, or Mexico.

https://www.princess.com/en-us/plan/princess-vacation-protection

When I looked at a different page BC was not stated so that I why I made the call to have it put back on.Now when I look at your link it clearly states as of Oct 16, 2023 BC is excluded.

I just called Princess and on this and coincidently the same agent that said I had the insurance now is saying they are working on it and will advise of any updates. If no successful update happens before sailing I will be reimbursed . I asked if I made a booking today would they still sell me the insurance. He said yes.Insurance is supposed to give peace but this is driving me crazy.

Thank you once again to CC members.

• Like 3

I was told this was an error by PC which has not been corrected on their website. My TA confirmed with PC last week that BC residents are eligible as we were in the same situation, from BC and Purchasing Princess Insurance for upcoming cruise. No need to cancel our insurance. I went on to my cruise personalizer page which has our policy and BC is not listed in the group of states/provinces not eligible. I see now that on PC site it states as of Oct 16, 2023 BC is not eligible. I think we are good as we booked cruise in Sept 2023. Back to my TA to confirm again.

Edited by Sunwanabe

• 4 weeks later...

I just booked a pacific coast cruise. I’m in British Columbia and princess sold me the platinum protection. However I just found out that they weren’t allowed to sell it to me and it would not have been valid I had kept It on my booking and tried to use it. Has anyone else had experience with this or know why some places like BC can’t purchase it? Very frustrating. 

IMG_2340.jpeg

12 minutes ago, tupperlinda said:

I just booked a pacific coast cruise. I’m in British Columbia and princess sold me the platinum protection. However I just found out that they weren’t allowed to sell it to me and it would not have been valid I had kept It on my booking and tried to use it. Has anyone else had experience with this or know why some places like BC can’t purchase it? Very frustrating. 

IMG_2340.jpeg

For NY it’s because of the “cancel for any reason” clause.  Not sure if it’s the same for BC.

NY insurance guidance clause 

Under New York law, CFAR benefits in the travel context do not technically qualify as insurance because the cancellation of a trip “for any reason” does not depend on the occurrence of fortuitous event.

Edited by t&atravel

Same happened to me. I spoke with Barbara at Princess Customer Service .1-833-862-0287 ext.41731.

Her answer was if you have it you have it you can keep it. It is no longer available to purchase.

The issue is with the BC government not Princess.

I have her message recorded in case I have a problem.

She also said she was giving us $100 OBC for each of us for our frustrations . It doesn't show on my booking though.

I just received a call from Princess and she informed me that even though I had paid for the coverage we do not have it for our January sailing.

AON would not consider any claim.

Princess has their own coverage now named at-ease waiver program. cruises upto $5,000. cost is 10%, over $5000. is 8%. Notice must be given 72 hours prior to departure for a full refund no questions asked.

This does not include any medical coverage, it is strictly cancellation and baggage.

I previously posted that Princess assured me since I had the coverage on my booking I would be covered.

Not so.

Hope anyone out there that think they have coverage please check with Princess.

• 1 month later...

I just found out as a BC resident I cannot get PP for my summer Alaska cruise . it’s because BC law and others have issue with the ‘cancel for any reason’ not being insurance .

A second phone call to my CP I found out about EZ Waiver ( like EZ Air I guess for marketing) 

cost is about 10% of cruise fare but does give you a full refund in case of cancellation vs PP ( if we could even get it) only gives full refund on COVERED reasons .

If NOT covered ( ie your dog gets sick) then you only 75% in credit towards a future cruise.

My ask is —-

Allianz quote was more than 10% of cruise.

AAA online seems a bit less.

what options have other Canadians in BC or Quebec or NY state, Puerto Rico or Mexico residents ( who also cannot get PP anymore after Oct 2023) found as a good alternative for  trip cancellation insurance?  

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, remydiva said:

what options have other Canadians in BC or Quebec or NY state, Puerto Rico or Mexico residents ( who also cannot get PP anymore after Oct 2023) found as a good alternative for  trip cancellation insurance?  

I would check out the insurance forum here on CruiseCritic.  

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/499-cruisetravel-insurance/

While I have not personally used any of the firms shown there, many have stated that "Steve" at The Trip Insurance Store gives great service and will help you get exactly the coverage you want.  (I am not affiliated in ay way with this firm...simply pointing out the subforum located here.)