Ear Plugs !!

rojaan19

If you are in  verandah suite on the Muse  bring ear plugs with you, so the TV in the room adjacent to you is not a problem.

Currently the people next door to us have the TV on if they are in their room.  We can hear it clearly.   IT IS A KNOWN PROBLEM,  and is down to be fixed by putting back the old tv screens at some point in the future  according to BM.

• Thanks 1

It might have helped if every suite had a fairly prominent notice in to mention the current problem, with apologies, and perhaps ask people to be aware of it and not have their TV on with much/any sound at least after a certain time in the evening?

If your neighbours do not have their set on even the most considerate of passengers would not be aware of it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I always use earplugs when sleeping in a new environment - hotels, ships, planes just because even the ambient noise of of a new place disrupts my sleep.  Unfamiliar traffic noise, heating, aircon and neighbors all can contribute to a restless night. The butler should be able to provide earplugs.

The "loud TV" issue is also a topic on the Oceania board in regard to their new Vista ship.  The speculation is that it is a combination of older "hard of hearing" folks with the flat screen TVs where the speakers are not as directional as the older TVs    I might mention that we have been in some hotels where the TVs are set-up so that it is impossible for folks to turn the volume above a fairly low level.  Perhaps that would be a good idea on ships, but of course, those who are hard of hearing (and refuse to wear hearing aids) would not be happy.

Hank

• Like 1

The problem would be markedly decreased if Silversea installed the option for subtitles on the screen.  I use subtitles at home as I am hearing impaired and my husband, who can hear a pin drop on carpet, puts up with seeing the subtitles and keeps the sound down low for himself. I have asked about having the subtitles added to our room while on board and they say they don't have the option available.  Interesting as I have used them in our rooms whilst on board on lines such as Crystal and even on HAL

• Like 1

On 10/30/2023 at 4:19 AM, rojaan19 said:

If you are in  verandah suite on the Muse  bring ear plugs with you, so the TV in the room adjacent to you is not a problem.

Currently the people next door to us have the TV on if they are in their room.  We can hear it clearly.   IT IS A KNOWN PROBLEM,  and is down to be fixed by putting back the old tv screens at some point in the future  according to BM.

Is it a connecting room?  Those are ones to avoid. 

It's not because of being a connecting room. It's a design error in all cabins, some guy being 'clever'.

It's because the TVs are in the mirror so you could think of them as acting as a 'connecting door' in that they are actually back to back in the space between the walls of adjoining cabins.

The only solution, which seems to be happening when they can fit it in, is to rip out the mirror/TV unit and replace it with an ordinary mirror and a TV mounted on a bracket sticking out from the wall, as you see in all the other ships.

Ah our butler and room attendant have excelled themselves. While our neighbours were in Bangkok they went into the next suite and moved the sound bar. Now we have to really strain to hear their TV. Amazing difference. 
So we have told the hotel director so that she doesn’t have to move any one else for this problem.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, drron29 said:

Ah our butler and room attendant have excelled themselves. While our neighbours were in Bangkok they went into the next suite and moved the sound bar. Now we have to really strain to hear their TV. Amazing difference. 
So we have told the hotel director so that she doesn’t have to move any one else for this problem.

Hi Ron,

Not quite clear what you mean by the ‘sound bar’? 

@drron29 does your cabin also have a soundbar?  If so, the solution may be an easy fix to relocate them all away from the wall.  If not, this may be a singleton 'test' bar – and your positive feedback may lead to a mass order – much cheaper and faster than replacing all the TVs.  Thanks for taking one for the team on this!

I wonder where they moved it to?

Is it just a question of the sound bar being hard up against the wall or moved out as far as the width of the mirror top allows?

Can't see where else it'd go but moving it a small distance to completely solve the problem seems almost too good to be true.

Had a good talk to my butler this morning as to what they did. Another butler had told him a guest had taken down the sound bar to find a USB connection. They don't exist. They then asked the butler to help find the non existent USB port. He found they had put the sound bar back in back to front.

So our butler and room attendant checked next door and found their sound bar was in the wrong way. As the speaker was directed towards our suite they couldn't hear the TV well so turned up the sound. So the problem was fixed by putting the sound bar in the right way and moving it closer to the balcony.

Definitely butlers can make a big difference to your enjoyment of a cruise.

• Like 6