Are you still adding cash gratuity on top of the automatic gratuities?

NightOne

1 minute ago, goldfish65 said:

Honest question, what do you mean by this?

For example, if you would  „tip“ generously the barman and waiter the first day at the once called Diamond lounge, he would reserve tables for you for the rest of the cruise. Others would arrive after staying on a queue, and find that several tables were already „occupied“ with drinks on the table. But those „occupants“ were not even yet in the lounge. Or if you tip some barmen generously, you would get free bottles of water. This kind of „tipping“ is to have access to things that otherwise you would not have. It is not tipping because of good service but is buying additional benefits.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Hi going on our first cruise ever on allure next week for 4 days in sky class crown loft suite and contemplating whether to remove the auto gratuities (which would total about $225 for the 3 of us) as will not at all step foot in the MDR.  Thinking if this is sufficient tipping for a 2 adults and a child:

Room steward: $15/day so $60 total

Coastal kitchen waiter: $10 per meal so $30 per day for 3 meals

Luggage porter: $5 per bag during embarkation and disembarkation

Suite lounge or other bartender: $1 per wine glass or beer, $2 per cocktail 

50 minutes ago, iscruisingdunzo said:

Lol, this is the most comical thing I have ever read. That is like stating that you are the employer for every person you do business with! No sorry, again, gratuities AKA tips, are funds people pay to reward someone or a group of people for their quality of work. By no means do I consider myself the employer for anyone I tip!

Fact is everything that makes a cruise or cruise line from the telephone representatives to the President and board of directors is PAID WITH THE FARES COLLECTED FROM THE PASSENGERS.

And just like any other service I pay for I understand that even those flipping the burgers, who I actually and indirectly pay, are to a degree my employees and deserve a living wage that most probably should rise with inflation.

I don't wish to debate who is and isn't an employer, in my opinion it is a person who pays someone or a group of people to provide that person with goods or services. So, YES, the passenger is the ultimate employer of a series of employees.

Tipping in the American culture IS PART OF LIFE and is and has been for decades considered a part of an EMPLOYEE'S salary (EVEN BY THE IRS.).

I don't really care who tips or doesn't, but I worked in the service industry and did rely on tips just as the employees on cruise ships do. I also UNDERSTAND that there is such a thing as inflation as is easily seen by the increase in cruise fares over the years. 

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, boscobeans said:

We ALL expect a salary raise from our employers, and since passengers are actually the people who ultimately are the employers, I see nothing unusual with a minor increase.

12% does seem to be a bit steep but as part of the total cruise package and compared to the cost of living in some parts of the world once again I see nothing unusual.

....WOW

1 hour ago, njdealguy said:

Hi going on our first cruise ever on allure next week for 4 days in sky class crown loft suite and contemplating whether to remove the auto gratuities (which would total about $225 for the 3 of us) as will not at all step foot in the MDR.  Thinking if this is sufficient tipping for a 2 adults and a child:

Room steward: $15/day so $60 total

Coastal kitchen waiter: $10 per meal so $30 per day for 3 meals

Luggage porter: $5 per bag during embarkation and disembarkation

Suite lounge or other bartender: $1 per wine glass or beer, $2 per cocktail 

Your tips from the mdr go to the CK.  Keep in mind the  manager and hostess get tips out of the daily gratsin  ck.  Porters are not rccl employees.

The Wonder of the Seas "Fast Facts" document states that there are 2,204 crew members onboard.  They ALL deserve a tip.  If you average $10 per crew member, that's $22,040.  If you're not tipping accordingly, you're being cheap and shouldn't cruise.

Don't the people who fix the elevators deserve a tip?

Security staff?

Guest services?

Next Cruise?

Laundry room staff?

Engine room staff?

Entertainment staff?

Bionic bar robots?

Tech support?

Navigation bridge staff? 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, PompeySailor said:

I just tipped my mailman for delivering my daily post 

Now I know in the future my mail will be delivered as usual, with a ribbon on it 😜

Forgot to add - I love tipping threads 🍿 

Are you tipping him based on the excellent service he has provided in the past, the current excellent service you received today or for the promise (hope) of excellent service you may or may not receive in the future?

Do you know if he shares the tip with all the behind the scenes people that have enhanced your mail delivery experience?

If you don't tip, does the USPS step up to make the difference or will that be the responsibility of your neighbors?

Have you been shamed/bullied by online forums to tip more than you wanted to?

I love tipping threads too.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, soremekun said:

The Wonder of the Seas "Fast Facts" document states that there are 2,204 crew members onboard.  They ALL deserve a tip.  If you average $10 per crew member, that's $22,040.  If you're not tipping accordingly, you're being cheap and shouldn't cruise.

Security staff?

Guest services?

Next Cruise?

Laundry room staff?

Engine room staff?

Entertainment staff?

Bionic bar robots?

Tech support?

Navigation bridge staff? 

You forgot about the captain!

And if a ship of 5,000 passengers all pay $10 to all crew, that's $50k in tips earned by everyone for a 1 week cruise! 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

Are you tipping him based on the excellent service he has provided in the past, the current excellent service you received today or for the promise (hope) of excellent service you may or may not receive in the future?

Do you know if he shares the tip with all the behind the scenes people that have enhanced your mail delivery experience?

If you don't tip, does the USPS step up to make the difference or will that be the responsibility of your neighbors?

Have you been shamed/bullied by online forums to tip more than you wanted to?

I love tipping threads too.

I wish I had all the answers - I am but a mere observer 🍿 

Mail person - my bad 😳 just incase 

You raise some very interesting points which I would need to contact USPS HQ to find out and clarify 

Do you have the CEO’s email 😉

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, njdealguy said:

You forgot about the captain!

And if a ship of 5,000 passengers all pay $10 to all crew, that's $50k in tips earned by everyone for a 1 week cruise! 

2500 crew $20 bucks each YIP YIP Yorary ! 🥳

I will be paying $20.50 per day soon

$20 a week ain’t going to cut it 

Edited by PompeySailor

I tipped the cop who stopped me and pointed out that “Stop! Children crossing,” was an instruction and explanation, rather than an invitation to block the school crosswalk! 

The case comes up next month! 🤷‍♂️

Do I tip the judge?

Edited by Jetdriver787
Afterthought!
  • Haha 6

2 minutes ago, PompeySailor said:

You raise some very interesting points which I would need to contact USPS HQ to find out and clarify 

Do you have the CEO’s email 😉

I may or may not, depends on how much you tip me.😉😇

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, PompeySailor said:

Your tip of the day: 

Wear red and green socks 

Left for go Right for stop - to confuse people swap them on a daily basis 

How did I do ?

Perfect!

Here is the email address:

WeDontCare.WeDontHaveTo.WeAreThePostOffice@spam.gov

(Apologies to Lily Tomlin)

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, soremekun said:

Bionic bar robots?

Definitely the Bionic Bar Robots.

Why?

They need their palms greased occasionally. 🤣🤣

• Haha 6

1 minute ago, HBE4 said:

Definitely the Bionic Bar Robots.

Why?

They need their palms greased occasionally. 🤣🤣

I didn’t tip the bionic bartender once and the next time I ordered a drink they knocked the plastic cup over and my drink went all over the place .

Robots have feelings too 

• Haha 7

1 hour ago, soremekun said:

Security staff?

Guest services?

Next Cruise?

Laundry room staff?

Engine room staff?

Entertainment staff?

Bionic bar robots?

Tech support?

Navigation bridge staff? 

They all reserve good salaries plus whatever benefits they should be entitled. How come it is so difficult to understand that with the tipping culture, employers are avoiding to pay those good salaries? Who is being cheap in those cases?

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, PompeySailor said:

I didn’t tip the bionic bartender once and the next time I ordered a drink they knocked the plastic cup over and my drink went all over the place .

Robots have feelings too 

When you’re the last customer slurring at the bionic bartender while he tells you how he used to be a spot welder in a tuk tuk factory in Hyderabad. His wife’s a cash register, and his children are studying A.I because God knows the real thing is nearly extinct!

• Haha 6

49 minutes ago, travelberlin said:

They all reserve good salaries plus whatever benefits they should be entitled. How come it is so difficult to understand that with the tipping culture, employers are avoiding to pay those good salaries? Who is being cheap in those cases?

And that is precisely my point.