Semi-Live Review of Oceania Riviera November 9-19, 2023 from a New Oceania Guest

Sthrngary

If I may suggest the hot buns at The Terrace when you have breakfast - I am hoping for the sublime experience for you I usually have with them. 

The sense memory of those things kept me going during lockdowns. 

53 minutes ago, ToxM said:

If I may suggest the hot buns at The Terrace when you have breakfast - I am hoping for the sublime experience for you I usually have with them. 

The sense memory of those things kept me going during lockdowns. 

Will do. Thank you very much.

Cruise well, and enjoy every moment

30 minutes ago, roberts2005 said:

In Kavala, just before the gate to go back to the ship are some restaurants.  Dont be put off by all the cats.  Food was very good.  A very interesting port if you haven't been.

@roberts2005 Thank you and agreed. One more thing. The bakeries in Kavaia were the best I have had in many years. 

An interesting observation. I am totally enjoying the food on board. Yet, I am eating much less than I usually do. I would not have expected that. 

Afternoon tea was lovely today. Just a tiny egg salad sandwich  and a treat. Just perfect. Tonight, French food.

Our friend are blown away.

Our suite had no hot water. I call the butler, 30 min later issue solved. That was the first real test. Oceania did not disappoint. 

Cruise well, and enjoy every moment

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, ssawjo said:

Thank you for your ongoing review.  I have always found the coffee, except from Barista's, to be downright awful.  It is like drinking yesterdays dish water.  

At breakfast in the MDR, we were able to get espresso and latte, even though only regular coffee was on the menu.  The espresso and latte were good.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@Sthrngary

Yes, kid in a Candy Store is correct and it sounds like you have struck it rich. Almond Croissants, ah yes and don’t forget to try the Sticky Buns in the TC at breakfast. You can order Coffee drinks from the waiters but they still won’t be Baristas level. You can ask the waiter to get your Coffee drink from Barista, they will have to run up a flight of stairs but have been known to do so. Should your Butler just happen to drop bye your table while in the TC, I am sure he will bring one from Baristas for you or the table. They do aim to please. 
If you are back in Toscana, consider the Dover Sole and someone at your table must order even an appetizer size Lasagne so four forks can devour it. Absolutely the BEST, had it 4 times on our recent Vista 16 day trip. Not a fan of the Olive oil and Balsamic cart, more for others then. After 12 years of tastings from the cart in Toscana, we have settled on the 274 Olive oil and the Modena sweet or sweet/sour balsamic to go with the Focaccia. 😇👍 FYI, while the TC and GDR restaurants may offer the same sounding items, order those specific to a Specialty restaurant from that restaurant and not elsewhere, they just always seem to be even better.

Enjoy the Candy Store 👍🤪🙏

Mauibabes

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Sthrngary

OH, major slip up. You said you were off to Jacques tonight. Hopefully this is not too late but the Sea Bass for two is FANTASTIC.  Baked in a Pfilo dough creation as a fish, great presentation. If not ordered, maybe you will see it served to another guest. 
And the Candy Store just keeps on giving 😇👍

Mauibabes

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, mauibabes said:

@Sthrngary

Yes, kid in a Candy Store is correct and it sounds like you have struck it rich. Almond Croissants, ah yes and don’t forget to try the Sticky Buns in the TC at breakfast. You can order Coffee drinks from the waiters but they still won’t be Baristas level. You can ask the waiter to get your Coffee drink from Barista, they will have to run up a flight of stairs but have been known to do so. Should your Butler just happen to drop bye your table while in the TC, I am sure he will bring one from Baristas for you or the table. They do aim to please. 
If you are back in Toscana, consider the Dover Sole and someone at your table must order even an appetizer size Lasagne so four forks can devour it. Absolutely the BEST, had it 4 times on our recent Vista 16 day trip. Not a fan of the Olive oil and Balsamic cart, more for others then. After 12 years of tastings from the cart in Toscana, we have settled on the 274 Olive oil and the Modena sweet or sweet/sour balsamic to go with the Focaccia. 😇👍 FYI, while the TC and GDR restaurants may offer the same sounding items, order those specific to a Specialty restaurant from that restaurant and not elsewhere, they just always seem to be even better.

Mauibabes

Any other can’t miss items at Toscana?  We are heading there in about 15 minutes.

• Like 1

@mauibabes and @Sthrngary

Had dover sole in Toscana on Regatta in Sept. 2023.  Fileted beautifully by waiter tableside.  2 intact filets plated to me, excellent saute.  Don't usually order fish at an Italian place, so wanted to try it.  Superb.  Was the envy of rest of table!

Re:  sticky buns at TC on Regatta.  Were not properly prepared.  Very dry crumb, very scant sticky stuff.  Only tried once.  So...food does differ on ships in fleet, depending on Chef, prep people, proper provisions onboard, etc.  Saw no reason to tell anyone, as overall cruise experience and cuisine was excellent.  

Am envious of all pax on this voyage, especially since visiting Greece!  Be sure to buy pastries from local bakeries "Zacharoplasties".  You will be impressed with quality.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, FetaCheese said:

Had dover sole in Toscana on Regatta in Sept. 2023.  Fileted beautifully by waiter tableside.  2 intact filets plated to me, excellent saute.  Don't usually order fish at an Italian place, so wanted to try it.  Superb.  Was the envy of rest of table!

Re:  sticky buns at TC on Regatta.  Were not properly prepared.  Very dry crumb, very scant sticky stuff.  Only tried once.  So...food does differ on ships in fleet, depending on Chef, prep people, proper provisions onboard, etc.  Saw no reason to tell anyone, as overall cruise experience and cuisine was excellent.  

Am envious of all pax on this voyage, especially since visiting Greece!  Be sure to buy pastries from local bakeries "Zacharoplasties".  You will be impressed with quality.

When the buns are properly prepared they are a thing of beauty. My last experience on Riviera was a bit of a sad sack with regard to them but I live in hope!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, FetaCheese said:

We dined twice at Toscana on the Regatta. Second time was en suite dining and our butler did an excellent job of filleting the dover sole.  Was very good.

Never went to the Terrace Cafe so we missed the buns or not.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, mauibabes said:

@Sthrngary

OH, major slip up. You said you were off to Jacques tonight. Hopefully this is not too late but the Sea Bass for two is FANTASTIC.  Baked in a Pfilo dough creation as a fish, great presentation. If not ordered, maybe you will see it served to another guest. 
And the Candy Store just keeps on giving 😇👍

Mauibabes

@mauibabes Thank you. We discussed the Sea Bass at the table. We have another night at Jacques.  We will order it on our second night.  Tonight, two folks had the Lobster tails and the other two had the Dover sole.  Both were outstanding. Thank you again.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, mauibabes said:

@Sthrngary

Mauibabes

@mauibabes Funny, I order a 1/2 lasagna and shared with the Table.  It was great. 

• Like 1

So many good choices, hard to go wrong. A couple of my favorites in Toscana are Osso Bucco, Carbonara, and of course the lasagna, my wife tends to get the Dover Sole, or Fra Diavolo. Between us we've had most of the choices on the menu and pretty much like them all. 

9 hours ago, roberts2005 said:

In Kavala, just before the gate to go back to the ship are some restaurants.  Dont be put off by all the cats.  Food was very good.  A very interesting port if you haven't been.

I’ll be in Kavala in a couple of weeks. Did you do a tour or just wander around? Any specific tips apart from those restaurants and the bakeries?

Thanks in advance.

34 minutes ago, DeanoNorthPerth said:

I’ll be in Kavala in a couple of weeks. Did you do a tour or just wander around? Any specific tips apart from those restaurants and the bakeries?

Thanks in advance.

We did the tour Philippi and Kavala. Which we enjoyed. Our guide let us off in town after the tour. Walked around the small town and had lunch   Not much in town.  I will try to attach some photos from the town, not the tour.

IMG_8009.jpeg

IMG_8004.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Gary, I’m glad you enjoyed the hotel in Athens.  It is so nice and the Bonvoy perks are great.  Hopefully the Arts hotel will be just as good.

I forgot to tell you to download the free Rick Steves Audio Europe app.  Rick Steves narrates walking tours of all the major sites in Europe.  They are better than many of the guides that I have hired over the years.  There are talks on the app too of various interviews that Rick Steves has done on his TV shows over the years that are interesting but the walks are so fun and entertaining and….free!  In Athens it’s a great overview of the city.  With one day and being jet lagged it would have been tough though.

The gothic quarter walk in Barcelona is really good.  It is a lot of fun and you will see all kinds of interesting sites.  He also has “Renaissance Walk” in Florence and a “ Heart of Rome” walk in Rome.  Both great if you have some time to spare after your planned tours and want a free Rick Steves walking tour.  Also, the Forum tour in Rome is one of my favorites and only an hour or so.

Enjoy your trip!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, the more ports the better said:

The gothic quarter walk in Barcelona is really good.  It is a lot of fun and you will see all kinds of interesting sites.  He also has “Renaissance Walk” in Florence and a “ Heart of Rome” walk in Rome.  Both great if you have some time to spare after your planned tours and want a free Rick Steves walking tour.  Also, the Forum tour in Rome is one of my favorites and only an hour or so.

@the more ports the better This is great information for the ports soon to be visited.  Thank you.  Very kind of you.  

Cruise well and enjoy every moment

Saturday, November 11, 2023:  "It is the little things!"

When you are actually on a cruise brand you have never been on before is where you finally gain reality.  A cruise for my guest and I is much different than a cruise for you.  My goal in cruising for the first time with Oceania was to Enhance my cruising experience over past experiences.  So I look at Oceania with Fresh Eyes.  Everything is new, unique and exciting.  Take that under advisement as you read my installments.  Now for just a couple of "Little Things" that happened.

Dinner at Jacques: I messed up and was not clear with my wife about when the dinner reservations were.  It was initially set for 07:00 PM.  My lovely bride thought it was 07:30 PM.  Let's just say, she might have been a bit upset with me.  I called our butler on the phone, asked to have the reservation for 07:30 PM, in five minutes, it was done.  Bingo.  We met our friends at our newest and best bar, Martini's, had a drink and went to dinner.  There was a line outside of Jacques for the 07:30 PM sitting.  We were simply waiting outside the restaurant to be seated with the other guest.  A man and woman pushed through the line, like they owned the place. He was frowning and rude.  Then he found out no one was allowing him to enter and he asked, "Excuse me, we have 07:30 PM reservations." Ask the 10 people all looking at this couple with a bit of frustration said almost together, "So are we all."  He got the point quick. Problem solved but interesting situation.

The food at Jacques was great but it was not the most impressive thing. The way this place makes you feel the moment you walk in was the real effect. It just felt like luxury.  Where most folks tell you how great their food was, and it was.  I say, it made me feel truly special.  We have another reservation for another night and already know what we will order.  This evening, we had "French Onion Soup", "Salad with Blue Cheese Dressing",  "Lobster with tiny scallops", "Stuffed Lobster Tails", "Dover Sole" deboned at the table, "Creme Brulee". Service 10 out of 10, Food 9 our of 10, Atmosphere 10 out of 10. 

Afternoon Tea: A table for four at the window.  Tiny sandwiches' that were outstanding.  Small tastes of sweets that were great, the tea was special with the classical music.  A first experience that we all agreed would not be our last.  

Getting off the ship: If you get off on Deck 6, you have steps.  If you get off on Deck 5, you have a slight ramp.  Do deck 6. We had no excursions to there was never a crowd.  

Martinis Bar: I am an extrovert.  I love to make folks happy and laugh especially the crew.  This second evening, was our third time in Martinis.  When the four of us arrived, the crew had a huge smile and said, "Hello Mr. Gary".  This might not mean much to some of you, but it meant the world to me.  A bar where everyone knows your name!!!!  The drinks were lovely and they made my wife a special martini which she loved. 

My Butler: If I hear one more person on any brand say, "I think a butler is not worth the extra funds.  They never do anything for us".  Those people never met our butler.  You don't know what your are missing but I respect your opinion.  In our case, as mentioned above, instantly fixed our dinner reservation. I had a hot water issue and it was addressed in 15 minutes.  Every morning at 07:30 am we have coffee from Barista's delivered with Danish, My request for a small dish or salty snack was accommodated instantly, my future request to have our guest join us on future reservation are handled the day of the reservations without asking.  I can go on for ever.  This gentleman is making our trip for all of us. 

Food On Day 3: The food so far is mostly hits with a very few misses.  The more important realization is we are eating less, we are not hugely hungry and I think it has a little to do with the rich/tasty food being served where at home we would simply have cheerios for breakfast. I find myself eating far less then on other cruises yet being more stratified with the food. My wife and guest feel the same way.  

Thermal Spa: A highlight of this trip.  Never crowded, always hot, great after walking all day.  The neck water massage is great.  This place for me is so very special.  We will try the Jacuzzi on the Deck tonight now that I know how to get hot water.  By the way, It was all my fault.  Sometimes I can not see the forest for the trees. 

Conclusion:  The crew is doing a great job.  I contributed to crew fund with can be done at Guest Service.  I met the Hotel Manager, and shared my excitement.  I think she thought I was going to be mean and was pleasantly surprised.  I met the Lead Butler and shared my joy with our butler.  Let us be clear, if and when something happens that is not to my standard, I am not shy.  I just do it nicely but it is clear how I feel.  I have simply not had to do so at this time.  If something goes wrong, say something so it can be corrected early on your trip.  

My only disappointment so far is all my furniture on this lovely deck of our suite is unusable, tied up at night. Seems kind of a waste of this prime space but I also understand the reason.  

Hope my take is helping some.  Thanks for all the hints. 

Cruise well and enjoy every moment.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 3

So pleased you’re enjoying your trip so far.

We have never had a ‘bad’ Oceania cruise and sometimes I find the ‘nit picking’ on here a little sad.

Somebody said here  “some people wouldn’t be happy if they were hung with a new rope”! So true.

Anyway “keep enjoying”, especially your butler!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1