Semi-Live Review of Oceania Riviera November 9-19, 2023 from a New Oceania Guest

Sthrngary

On 11/4/2023 at 3:09 AM, Vallesan said:

Maybe I have led a sheltered life! But actually I adore cheese but am not fond of that terrible rubbery stuff they call ‘cheese’,

Definitely a "sheltered life."

This is from a small, local chain in Seattle.

https://www.pagliacci.com/blog/posts/wild-mushroom-tuscan-kale-and-pumpkin-gelato

Lunch? Hmm, I had lunch recently in Paris. Seared foie gras, white asparagus with bechamel sauce and escargots. A pizza would be too rich. Maybe just some charcuterie and a small salad.

• Like 2

Pizza is a funny thing. I love pizza.

We were given a supposed margarita pizza on Vista. No tomatoes, no heaps of mozzarella cheese, and zero fresh basil leaves. Ours had some cheap indescribable cheese ( if it was actually cheese) and no herbs, no less fresh basil. Was told it was Oceania’s expression of margarita pizza! 🙄 

Perhaps we have a difference in opinion of definition. I can love great lobster, while passing on overcooked rubbery lobster. Same with bizzare definitions of people. If they wanted to call it their cheese pizza, well OK. Margarita pizza, not a chance. Ike calling hamburger fillet mignon.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Harry Lake said:

Definitely a "sheltered life."

This is from a small, local chain in Seattle.

https://www.pagliacci.com/blog/posts/wild-mushroom-tuscan-kale-and-pumpkin-gelato

Lunch? Hmm, I had lunch recently in Paris. Seared foie gras, white asparagus with bechamel sauce and escargots. A pizza would be too rich. Maybe just some charcuterie and a small salad.

Looks lovely!

As luck would have it I’m on vacation in southern Europe at the moment and yesterday I had pizza , a very late lunch/early dinner! Whilst the pagliacci pizza looks lovely the base on our pizza was paper thin, amazing.

You Paris lunch sounds far richer than my pizza!

5 hours ago, pinotlover said:

Pizza is a funny thing. I love pizza.

We were given a supposed margarita pizza on Vista. No tomatoes, no heaps of mozzarella cheese, and zero fresh basil leaves. Ours had some cheap indescribable cheese ( if it was actually cheese) and no herbs, no less fresh basil. Was told it was Oceania’s expression of margarita pizza! 🙄 

Perhaps we have a difference in opinion of definition. I can love great lobster, while passing on overcooked rubbery lobster. Same with bizzare definitions of people. If they wanted to call it their cheese pizza, well OK. Margarita pizza, not a chance. Ike calling hamburger fillet mignon.

Oh dear! If you are going to eat pizza at least let it resemble the ‘real’ thing! Don’t think I’ll be trying it on the Marina next year.

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, Vallesan said:

Oh dear! If you are going to eat pizza at least let it resemble the ‘real’ thing! Don’t think I’ll be trying it on the Marina next year.

the Lunch pizza in the Terrace  are thin crust  & served by the slice

The evening Pizzas  you need to order the whole pizza & they are thick crust style   we shared one  it was just fine for us

Do not be fooled by certain influencers   try it for yourself  or not

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

As Promised, I will NOW have as a key topic the review of the pizza onboard.  I also love pizza however many of the ports to be visited will be Italy.  Something tells me the Pizza in Italy may be better then those on Oceania Cruises.  I will play it fair though.  

With less then a day prior to getting on an international flight for the first time in 12 years, I reflect back on the long wait for our first Oceania Cruise.  This was the first time my wife took an active role in the planning and I was thrilled and relieved with the support.  I am very glad that I took a Crystal Cruise two years ago so I had some idea of the differences over a Huge Mega Ship.  Although I have traveled to Europe over 20 times on business, I have never done so for a personal vacation.  Not having to worry about my client will be a very big difference in this vacation and the places being visited. 

Weather looks good for flying, no real issues at any of the airports today.  So far, smooth sailing.  Thanks for following. 

Cruise well and enjoy every moment. 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Sthrngary said:

As Promised, I will NOW have as a key topic the review of the pizza onboard.  I also love pizza however many of the ports to be visited will be Italy.  Something tells me the Pizza in Italy may be better then those on Oceania Cruises.  I will play it fair though.  

With less then a day prior to getting on an international flight for the first time in 12 years, I reflect back on the long wait for our first Oceania Cruise.  This was the first time my wife took an active role in the planning and I was thrilled and relieved with the support.  I am very glad that I took a Crystal Cruise two years ago so I had some idea of the differences over a Huge Mega Ship.  Although I have traveled to Europe over 20 times on business, I have never done so for a personal vacation.  Not having to worry about my client will be a very big difference in this vacation and the places being visited. 

Weather looks good for flying, no real issues at any of the airports today.  So far, smooth sailing.  Thanks for following. 

Pizza in Italy is so much better than on any ship. I'm sure you will enjoy it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Oh dear!

This thread seems to have turned into a ‘pizza’ thread. Sorry if I’ve helped to push it in that direction.

Anyway …… Let’s just say we all enjoy pizza ‘Our Way’!

Edited by Vallesan
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Vallesan said:

Oh dear!

This thread seems to have turned into a ‘pizza’ thread. Sorry if I’ve helped to push it in that direction.

Anyway …… Let’s just say we all enjoy pizza ‘Our Way’!

@Vallesan No apology needed.  Threads have a life of their own. I can think of worse turns a thread topic can take then Pizza.  That one is a fun one.  Great place to start the live blog when I embark on Thursday. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

@Vallesan No apology needed.  Threads have a life of their own. I can think of worse turns a thread topic can take then Pizza.  That one is a fun one.  Great place to start the live blog when I embark on Thursday. 

👍👍👍👍

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

The Vista ship turns the Waves Grill into a pizzeria in the evening. Only ship that has the pizzeria.

All the other ships have pizza in Terrace Cafe.

27 minutes ago, FetaCheese said:

The Vista ship turns the Waves Grill into a pizzeria in the evening. Only ship that has the pizzeria.

I understand the Riviera also has the Pizzaria   as well??

• Thanks 2

On 11/2/2023 at 8:19 AM, Sthrngary said:

Part of cruising is not always the cruise.  All parts make up the experience. So far so good. 

Pre-Flight Air: One week prior to flight, Delta Airlines in Delta One send you a pre-flight menu and information package.  You can choose your meal way ahead of time with options not available on the flight.  We choose Beef Short Ribs. The information tells you how to approach the flight for best results.  Nice Touch Delta. 

Just was (inexplicably) upgraded to Delta One by Delta on my recent Epic Mediterranean Cruise a few weeks ago.  Nice experience.  

Couldn’t sleep on their “seats that convert to beds”!  Pretty uncomfortable as a bed.  As an airline seat, it’s way better than the Main Cabin.  So is the food. But, nowhere near as good as even regular fast food.  Drinks are good.

9 hours on a plane….short of those ultra rich Kuwait Airlines 1st Class seats, a good way to start your trip is Delta One.

Bon Voyage!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Tuesday, November 7, 2023: Flight From Birmingham, AL to Athens, Greece

I had NO idea what was going to happen.  I feared as I always do, that I would have air issues. I knew, flying out in the first flight in the morning was the right move.  Delta did not let us down.  The first flight to Atlanta was seamless and arrived on time.  The flight from Atlanta to JFK was also on time. We were all in first class and met someone else on our cruise on the flight.  We all when two gates up to the Delta Sky Club which was laterally right next to the Gate 32 which is where our Athens, Flight goes out of in 5 hours.  

We went to the Delta Sky Club in Atlanta and JFK.  The food was very good and the drinks were an excellent way to start our adventure. We are sending pictures to our children and friends.  My friends wife and my lovely bride are putting on their makeup in the Sky Club.  04:30 AM came awfully early this morning.  

• Like 13