Dining Package Reservations Will Now Be Available Pre-Cruise

I don't understand why we can't prebook UDP times since we can prebook excursions...seems like a similar computer program....but I'm no computer expert. This is the 1st time we have purchased the UDP since we'll be sailing on the JOS in May 2024 and there isn't a suite restaurant with flexible dining times and all of the complaints about the MTD long wait times. I did mock bookings for lunch times and the 3 restaurants are available everyday except the last day in 1 restaurant,  However, none of the restaurants show any available lunch times for embarkation day.  Is embarkation lunch day just a walk in or do the restaurants normally show up as an option to purchase? Since the Suite Concierge Host usually contacts you about 5 days before sailing, can they normally help with embarkation day?  We're considering purchasing the lunches and getting a refund later...since it seems like anyone who purchases a single lunch gets precedence over those who spend more money on the UDP. 

Edited by shirazcruiser

6 hours ago, shirazcruiser said:

I don't understand why we can't prebook UDP times since we can prebook excursions...seems like a similar computer program....but I'm no computer expert. 

Packages are sold at a discount if pre purchased. The trade off is a good price but no pre booking. Although the system seems to be changing for pre reservations with a package. 

42 minutes ago, taglovestocruise said:

Packages are sold at a discount if pre purchased. The trade off is a good price but no pre booking. Although the system seems to be changing for pre reservations with a package. 

The single purchase speciality lunches on my sailing are currently on sale pre purchased at a discounted price of 40% off (Chops, Giovanni's & Izumi) so that's basically what I'm paying for my lunches on my UDP yet the single purchasers get to select the day and time of their choice in advance; whereas, we're spending quite a bit more totally, yet, we'll have less choices for days and times...maybe no choice at all on some days.  It doesn't exactly seem right considering how much we're spending!  RCCL could do a better job with this package. 

Edited by shirazcruiser
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, shirazcruiser said:

The single purchase speciality lunches on my sailing are currently on sale pre purchased at a discounted price of 40% off (Chops, Giovanni's & Izumi) so that's basically what I'm paying for my lunches on my UDP yet the single purchasers get to select the day and time of their choice in advance; whereas, we're spending quite a bit more totally, yet, we'll have less choices for days and times...maybe no choice at all on some days.  It doesn't exactly seem right considering how much we're spending!  RCCL could do a better job with this package. 

One pays a set amount for the UDP; there is not “basically” a price for the lunches. After all, with the UDP someone could go to two restaurants and have two lunches plus a full dinner and a late meal at playmakers.  If buying the meals separately with the current sale is a better deal (or close to the same price) then just cancel the UDP and book separately.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Starry Eyes said:

One pays a set amount for the UDP; there is not “basically” a price for the lunches. After all, with the UDP someone could go to two restaurants and have two lunches plus a full dinner and a late meal at playmakers.  If buying the meals separately with the current sale is a better deal (or close to the same price) then just cancel the UDP and book separately.  

Only the lunches are a better deal. RCCL shouldn't offer a package if they don't have the ability to allow purchasers to select their dates/times when the options are available....instead of running to stand in line on embarkation day and only getting the leftover dates/times. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, shirazcruiser said:

Only the lunches are a better deal. RCCL shouldn't offer a package if they don't have the ability to allow purchasers to select their dates/times when the options are available....instead of running to stand in line on embarkation day and only getting the leftover dates/times. 

You shouldn’t buy the package if you cannot accept the terms offered by the seller.  You know you could pre book your all your meals now; that option simply costs more.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Starry Eyes said:

You shouldn’t buy the package if you cannot accept the terms offered by the seller.  You know you could pre book your all your meals now; that option simply costs more.  

Yes, I just looked and it states additional reservations must be made onboard.  We only booked the UDP since some of our tours end when the MDR 1st seating starts. MTD used to be civilized when they had a separate designated portion of the MDR, but after reading so many complaints about long wait times with the way they seat you in between the 2 MDR times...we would prefer to avoid that hassel and have a leisurely meal. There's no need to make excuses for RCCL in this day and age with all the advanced technology that they can't write a program to solve this problem for a dining package that has been offered for many years.  

• Like 1

shirazcruiser:  Speaking as a person in IT for many years... it has absolutely nothing to do with technology, software or hardware!

It has to do with the decisions from above in RCL.

Starry Eyes:  I agree, when you buy something you should understand what the agreement is BUT when Execs from that company plainly state publicly that the options will shortly change (like precruise booking) than that is what u expect.

I booked UPD but again if they misrepresented the fact that pre-cruise booking will be available after Jan... will return it!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I usually don't buy the dining package due to the restrictions/they will decide when and where we dine.  I did buy it for our April cruise - but like I've read others say - if it does not change to allow selection of time and place by the end of January, we will simply cancel. Easy enough.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Happytime22 said:

It has to do with the decisions from above in RCL.

BUT when Execs from that company plainly state publicly that the options will shortly change (like precruise booking) than that is what u expect.

I booked UPD but again if they misrepresented the fact that pre-cruise booking will be available after Jan... will return it!

That was my point that it's RCCL's decision after all this time. If we can't book decent times after Jan, we too will reconsider this package.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, shirazcruiser said:

Yes, I just looked and it states additional reservations must be made onboard.  We only booked the UDP since some of our tours end when the MDR 1st seating starts. MTD used to be civilized when they had a separate designated portion of the MDR, but after reading so many complaints about long wait times with the way they seat you in between the 2 MDR times...we would prefer to avoid that hassel and have a leisurely meal. There's no need to make excuses for RCCL in this day and age with all the advanced technology that they can't write a program to solve this problem for a dining package that has been offered for many years.  

I do not like the new MTD system, but I disagree with your characterization of it.  It is not really sandwiched between the two seatings.  There is a dining room used for early traditional dining and as those early diners exit those tables are turned over to MTD for the rest of the night.  There is no late traditional seating in the MTD dining room.  MTD might run from 6:30 to 9:00.  (That said, some MTD folks may be accommodated at empty tables in other dining rooms as time and space permits.). 

A few late tours?  Why not just book specialty restaurants those nights and be done with it.  Or eat in WJ.  Or room service.  Or if the tours will make you just little late, you can politely ask in the MDR…they may be able to seat you later those nights.  

You are trying to hide behind the technology issue. It is not technology; currently it is $.  Right now if you want the best times, stop whining, get out your credit card and book your times.  Easy Peasy.  On the other hand, right now if you want the package price, you have to live with the current terms of sale.  By the time you sail, they may or may not change the terms so you can pre-reserve.  Even if they do, someone else may pre-reserve those slots you want before you can get them, leaving fewer to race for on day 1.  Be careful what you wish for.

• Thanks 1

I know people used to buy UDP then make all of their reservations before the cruise by booking/paying for each restaurant individually and then having that purchase refunded once they were onboard. Are people still doing that? Or did Royal catch on and stop allowing it?

• Like 1

On 11/13/2023 at 10:35 AM, Beachin2 said:

I usually don't buy the dining package due to the restrictions/they will decide when and where we dine.  I did buy it for our April cruise - but like I've read others say - if it does not change to allow selection of time and place by the end of January, we will simply cancel. Easy enough.

I was thinking about doing this same thing for our April 2024 cruise.  But when I went to purchase the UDP, it wouldn't allow me because I have a dinner reservation for night 1.  I'm wondering if I cancel that single reservation if the system will allow me to purchase the UDP.   I'd prefer to not lose the other lunch/dinner reservations in case the pre-cruise reservations doesn't roll out before April and I need to cancel the UDP.  Were you able to book the UDP and keep any existing reservations you had?  

Edited by Joe33472

2 hours ago, schooner_Drinker said:

Has anyone on WONDER where supposedly the NEW pre booking UDP has actually been able to pick times and days with the PCP

As promoted by RC Execs

Would be nice to see if this is a myth or actually in progress 

Thanks

Nancy

Not scheduled to go live until into January

• Thanks 2

On 11/13/2023 at 9:40 AM, shirazcruiser said:

That was my point that it's RCCL's decision after all this time. If we can't book decent times after Jan, we too will reconsider this package.

Pay the “per meal” price and secure your times now. Why are you complaining about a process that has been in place forever? This is nothing new. 

On 11/17/2023 at 4:05 PM, Ronaldo807 said:

I know people used to buy UDP then make all of their reservations before the cruise by booking/paying for each restaurant individually and then having that purchase refunded once they were onboard. Are people still doing that? Or did Royal catch on and stop allowing it?

We do

24 minutes ago, schooner_Drinker said:

Must be nice to be able to load your credit card up with a weeks worth of venues and also lock in the UDP

We only book Hibachi individually as that cannot currently be locked in with UDP

and then cancel 

We are big users of UDP and are looking forward to having all the times and venues (dinner and lunch) all pre booked a month or two before we board 

Its not complicated and look forward to it’s implementation 

You will then not have to do what you are doing now 👍🏻 win win 

We were on Allure recently , 1st at Izumi on day 1 with UDP PCP

We could not get 5:30 on day 1 

All sold out to Star Class

we asked for any other day at 5:30 

sold out for the week the later time slot did not work for us 

granted for those who like to eat just before bed time good on them 😎 

couple behind us canceled their package as they could not get a reservation either 

I know it never happens to some people, but it does happen - we have experienced it

The ability to lock in times and dates to us is a plus and makes the UDP more desirable 

Nancy

Agree completely 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, schooner_Drinker said:

Do you pay individually and also purchase the UDP every time 

is each individual booking refunded to your credit card or is it OBC 

Refunded as refundable OBC on board.  We also do this for certain restaurants and or days we want, not the entire week

• Thanks 1