FOOD REPUBLIC - specifically on the Joy

jeffregpuck

I remember years ago when we were on the Escape, Food Republic was open for lunch.  Does anyone know if that is the case on the Joy?  I don't think it was open for lunch on the Prima in January.

We do like Food Republic, and now that I've learned we can break up the FAS dining, that might be a great option for us!

2 hours ago, jeffregpuck said:

I remember years ago when we were on the Escape, Food Republic was open for lunch.  Does anyone know if that is the case on the Joy?  I don't think it was open for lunch on the Prima in January.

We do like Food Republic, and now that I've learned we can break up the FAS dining, that might be a great option for us!

3 weeks ago, it was open from 12:00-1:30 on sea days. We try to go right at opening because the kitchen gets backed up once a lot of people start ordering. We went there for 2 sea days splitting out FAS. 

1 hour ago, LakeLureGuy said:

Just off the Joy.  We asked about only using 4 of our 8 selections, and were told "NO".  You can only use it that one time.  Of course, you may get another answer from someone else!

We’re you using a FAS meal or a Platinum voucher?

We ate at Joy on two evenings during our cruise last month.  Did anyone else notice that the menu wasn't as extensive as we have seen on prior cruises?  It was very good, but noticed a few items we had seen on our April Joy cruise were no longer listed.   

for FAS, two people can dine on one voucher. technically, the second person would be required to order one item a la  carte. so, one person will get four items with a FAS credit... the other would be dining a la carte, but would not be very hungry. that's how two people can share five items. repeat the process on another day for the second voucher.

you can still find staff at food republic that will let two people share one voucher, but it's not guaranteed and is not sanctioned by the rules.

13 minutes ago, LakeLureGuy said:

Latitudes coupon which could be used for 4 items each at several restaurants, including FR.

Yeah, that’s the issue,  The Latitudes voucher is a physical coupon,  it can’t be split.  We made the same mistake last year at the sushi bar.  The waitress told us that 8 items was a ton of food and we’d be better off using one FAS meal and sharing.  We has used our FAS vouchers already, so that wasn’t an option.  Live and learn.  

2 hours ago, Sand and Seas said:

We ate at Joy on two evenings during our cruise last month.  Did anyone else notice that the menu wasn't as extensive as we have seen on prior cruises?  It was very good, but noticed a few items we had seen on our April Joy cruise were no longer listed.   

We noticed that several items we would normally order were not on the touch pad. I don’t go and check the online or paper menus to see if it was just a supply chain thing. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Sand and Seas said:

Orca reported a smaller menu but nothing specific.

• Like 1

at both food republic and the indulge food hall, menu items that are temporarily unavailable appear as “sold out” on the tablet. if they have made some sort of decision to permanently remove an item, the item should no longer appear on the tablet at all. of course, NCL’s IT folks do not respond quickly and are not the brightest bulbs in the chandelier, so it’s possible items could still be listed that are never coming back.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, UKstages said:

at both food republic and the indulge food hall, menu items that are temporarily unavailable appear as “sold out” on the tablet. if they have made some sort of decision to permanently remove an item, the item should no longer appear on the tablet at all. of course, NCL’s IT folks do not respond quickly and are not the brightest bulbs in the chandelier, so it’s possible items could still be listed that are never coming back.

Items we had seen on our prior April Joy cruise were not listed anywhere so perhaps they decided to remove them from the menu.  For example, we enjoy the Elotes which is grilled Mexican Street Corn on the Cob, but it was no longer on the tablet menu.    The prior menu had 3 or 4 types of dumplings, while the one on our October cruise there was just one.   While we still enjoyed our FR meals, it was just surprising how few items were available.  

2 hours ago, Sand and Seas said:

Items we had seen on our prior April Joy cruise were not listed anywhere so perhaps they decided to remove them from the menu.  For example, we enjoy the Elotes which is grilled Mexican Street Corn on the Cob, but it was no longer on the tablet menu.    The prior menu had 3 or 4 types of dumplings, while the one on our October cruise there was just one.   While we still enjoyed our FR meals, it was just surprising how few items were available.  

My October cruise on the encore the Elotes was not on the menu. After having an amazing street corn in Los Lobos, I was really looking forward to it in FR.  Pretty bummed.

• Like 1

On 11/6/2023 at 8:25 AM, UKstages said:

Yeah. For us, our last two cruises were less than a month apart (different ships). There were things that we ordered in September that were not on the touch pad in October.