Fractured shoulder after falling on a ship. What should I expect?

Keys Kathy

I fell on the ship before we left port. Since my shoulder was fractured and I had other more minor injuries, they had us disembark. We had not unpacked or used the cabin. What should I expect to happen next? I have sent two emails to customer support.

If it is your fault that you fell then expect nothing. Was MSC negligent in some way?

I fell down a mountain in Skagway, AK this past August - dislocated my shoulder - stuff happens - all my fault - do not expect any compensation from Holland America.

• Like 1

Don't sign anything that the safety officer might give you.  Those statements are written by the cruise line lawyers and are designed to favor the company.   Sorry your vacation was ruined.  What a shame.  Hopefully you will soon be on the mend.  Good luck.  

• Like 1

Unfortunately I doubt MSC was able to book new passengers to replace you.   I would be surprised if they offer you another sailing. Their website and booking processes are pretty explicit that passengers should purchase insurance to cover events like this.

I don't think you will given another cruise.  I could be wrong.   You might not feel like taking action but if you have any long lasting physical issues,  and the cruise line was even partially at fault,  you should be compensated.   Take some time and think about it.   Good luck.  Please tell us what you outcome is.  

1 hour ago, Keys Kathy said:

All I want is my cruise. I don't blame them, nor do I blame me. I just want my cruise.

I am confused - you wanted to continue your cruise despite your injuries? Please provide full details.

Respectfully, I don't think you are entitled to anything unless this accident was due to MSC's negligence.  You probably already signed something saying that it wasn't.

You could ask MSC for some accommodation on a future cruise, but I would expect them to say "no".

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Keys Kathy said:

I fell on the ship before we left port. Since my shoulder was fractured and I had other more minor injuries, they had us disembark. We had not unpacked or used the cabin. What should I expect to happen next? I have sent two emails to customer support.

I believe you mentioned in another post that you did not have insurance, so regrettably it looks like you are not going to get your cruise.

image.png.7ecf4f5165ed2760d08574ea8feafc9f.png

Anything MSC offer at this point would be purely a goodwill gesture, but based on what you've posted so far I would not assume that they will offer anything at all.

I do understand how disappointing this will be but as you have already stated the fall was not their fault then this is a classic example of why you should have insurance...

Edited by Mark_T
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

You should be calling your travel insurance company. But if the post above is accurate that you didn't purchase insurance, you shouldn't expect MSC to do anything if they weren't negligent. It's up to individuals to purchase insurance should something happen on board. Trip insurance covers such instances and would allow you to get your cruise back, via refund of expenses so you could book another.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I saw you don’t have travel insurance. I would recommend it next time. We use Allianz travel in the US. It has saved us when there were tornadoes in Northern Florida and we couldn’t drive they laid for our airfare home and to ship our car back. They cover medical issues as well including life flights. I’ll never travel without it.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Bgwest said:

trip insurance store.com

I second that recommendation.  Steve and his staff will ask lots of questions about your specifics (existing insurance, what you want covered, health issues, etc) before making a recommendation and then take as long as you want answering your questions.  Excellent customer service!

5 hours ago, Brighton Line said:

So, armchair lawyers, the OP boarded at the embarkation port. Are they entitled to embarkation port fees and taxes back or only the ports they didn't visit?

I think they actually aren't 'entitled' to anything back.  Many cruiselines do give back credits for port fees and taxes, but since they are not seperately itemized, they aren't required to.