Almost Live …. Sailing Aboard the NCL Viva on Her Maiden Trans-Atlantic

ColdCruise

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"And another from ColdCruise! Thank you for generously sharing your time at sea with everyone at Cruise Critic!"

ColdCruise was awarded the badge '"Live from...."' and 5 points.

Hello to anyone interested in following along as Viva makes her maiden cruise across the Atlantic Ocean!

Departing Lisbon, Portugal on 16 November, the lovely Viva will take us on an 11-day cruise across the ocean to arrive in Miami the Monday after Thanksgiving (American Thanksgiving).

The projected itinerary is as follows:

16 Nov embark Lisbon, Portugal … well Hello Viva

17 Nov sea day

18 Nov Punta Delgada, Azores, Portugal 

19-23 Nov sea days (5)

24 Nov St Thomas, USVI

25 Nov Puerto Plata, DR

26 Nov sea day

27 Nov say good bye in Miami, FL … until we sail,again,Viva

We’re leaving the US a few days prior to the cruise, having booked our own O/W flight to spend time in Portugal before the cruise. This is our fourth attempt to cruise out of Portugal, the first two cruises were cancelled by NCL and the last by ourselves to do something more exciting. This is also our first trip to Portugal - the more planning I do the more I wish we could spend more time there.

Due to the early overall trip start, I thought I’d also start the cruise report early and include some of our pre-cruise adventures.

So …. let the adventures begin …. (Or rather let me get through my last week at work before we fly out!)

Edited by ColdCruise
Typo
  • Like 10

@Marsha Marsha & @Vegasvolfan - go over to the Roll Call section and join us. Seems like some convivial people sailing with us. (Just how often can you use “convivial”?)

And I hope my postings can entertain those who won’t be sailing with us.

We did the initial paying passengers cruise aboard Pr1ma 3 Sept 22, so really looking forward to seeing what changes they made on Viva in the time available (aside from loosing Starbucks from Indulge) to improve passenger experience.  I’ve read some feedback, but most of the changes seemed like small tweaks rather than significant changes. For instance, the redesign of the pools in the Spa look promising but sounds like the same micro-changing rooms.

Very busy at work wrapping up somethings and at home prepping for the sitter. 

We’re flying out on TAP, our first time flying TAP, but a coworker flew them last year and said the flight was fine (6ft+ guy). 

We booked some land trips from a variety of vendors - airBnB experience, Get Your Guide, With Locals. It’s a packed itinerary- - between that and all the last minute stuff before we fly….let’s just say I’ll be looking forward to that first sea day !

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ColdCruise said:

We’re flying out on TAP, our first time flying TAP, but a coworker flew them last year and said the flight was fine (6ft+ guy). 

We flew TAP - newer planes are nice (A330 NEO) - flew them back to NY in May on our TA, meal services included in the main cabin including a cold snack box prior to landing.  Going to fly their A321 NEO narrow-body outbound soon, upgraded at a modest cost to E+ for extra leg room, 2 checked bags up to 50 lbs / 23 kg included. 

Just be careful with your carry-on / cabin bags in terms of weight limits (10 kg/22 lbs) that was enforced at Lisbon outbound,  Great choices of IFE, bring a decent set of earbuds in lieu of the free ones distributed, along with blankets & pillows. Leather seating, adjustable headrest & modest recline, 31" seatback - width can be a bit better ... sort of like flying JetBlue vs. UA, AA or DL.  

Yippie - thanks, more Live trip reports coming up to follow along ... Happy & safe travel. 

Edited by mking8288
  • Thanks 1

Hello  from Joe and Marty . This is our first TAC and looking forward to a nice relaxing cruise.

we are flying from West Palm to JFK with jet Blue and then TAP AIR TO Lisbon. Would love to fly premium economy with TAP so will wait and see whats available on day of check in. Enjoy and safe travels .

IMG_4632.jpeg

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Marsha Marsha said:

Hello  from Joe and Marty . This is our first TAC and looking forward to a nice relaxing cruise.

we are flying from West Palm to JFK with jet Blue and then TAP AIR TO Lisbon. Would love to fly premium economy with TAP so will wait and see whats available on day of check in. Enjoy and safe travels .

When's your flight? Ours is also with TAP from JFK to LIS, on the 12th (this coming Sunday).

Come on over and join the Roll Call:

7 hours ago, Marsha Marsha said:

... West Palm to JFK with jet Blue and then TAP AIR TO Lisbon. Would love to fly premium economy with TAP so will wait and see whats available on day of check in ... 

@ColdCruise also ...

TAP's Premium Economy is very affordable & reasonably priced, oops on the 31" seatback, that's standard economy.  E+ is 33" to 34" spacing on TAP from the seatback/tray - 25+ years ago, that was "regular" coach/economy then but shrinking ever since (DC-10, 747-SP and 747-100/200 was 33" to 34" when I was living out of a garment bag & suitcase in the younger UAL days)

If anyone flown AA lately, you'll guaranteed to see & appreciated the difference in main cabin services, silverwares instead of plastic utensils, etc. 

If the option is offered on day of online check-in, you should see the available seats for the offer & price, take it.  Exit row is priced higher & depending on the row, reclining is not an option - just extra legroom.  A320 NEO seatmap on Seatguru isn't accurate or inclusive.  We have Row 10 BC and DE pairs, 10A and 10F do not "exist" at all, so it's basically 2 + 2 configuration for our row, meaning extra elbow room for that "middle" window seat ... eager to see what it's like.  We're on TAP's A330 NEO previously.   

I believe TAP is flying only A320 NEO out of JFK whereas EWR might be the A330 NEO - regardless, lately - strong jetstream and weather meant a very fast eastbound TA flight, cutting flying time to as little as 6 hours instead of 7+ hours, flying almost at the speed of sound across over the North Atlantic off coastal Canada.  

Happy & safe travel to all. 

On 11/8/2023 at 12:47 AM, mking8288 said:

We flew TAP - newer planes are nice (A330 NEO) - flew them back to NY in May on our TA, meal services included in the main cabin including a cold snack box prior to landing.  Going to fly their A321 NEO narrow-body outbound soon, upgraded at a modest cost to E+ for extra leg room, 2 checked bags up to 50 lbs / 23 kg included. 

Just be careful with your carry-on / cabin bags in terms of weight limits (10 kg/22 lbs) that was enforced at Lisbon outbound,  Great choices of IFE, bring a decent set of earbuds in lieu of the free ones distributed, along with blankets & pillows. Leather seating, adjustable headrest & modest recline, 31" seatback - width can be a bit better ... sort of like flying JetBlue vs. UA, AA or DL.  

Yippie - thanks, more Live trip reports coming up to follow along ... Happy & safe travel. 

@mking8288 thanks for the flight details, very handy. We’re in the economy plus seats for the additional space. Actually sounds better than my last TA on American. 

TAP seems a popular option - we’re flying out of Dulles to Lisbon, on a A321NEO-LR per our ticket. I didn’t bother looking at seat guru as the picking were pretty slim. That’s good news about the jet stream I’d like to experience flying at the speed of sound — like Superman 🦸‍♀️

Edited by ColdCruise
  • Like 1

One more work day, short, so I can get home & finish packing.

Busy Saturday- drop-off the critters to various locations, take the trash to the county convenience center (forgot Friday is a holiday & all government workers are off). Drive up to get a rental, drop the car at the parking lot at work (free, secured and about a $15-20 Uber from the airport). Drive to Dulles and hope for a good checkin.

Happy Veterans Day to all who served (both observed and on 11/11)! And if your on the ship, look for the veterans get together - always meeting interesting people with crazy stories to tell.

• Like 3

Sorry, imma little late with pre-cruise updates 

TAP out of Dulles was good - the airline sensibly boarded the plane back to front, minimizing aisle way traffic jams. Plane was pretty full. The flight was shortened almost an hour thanks to the tail wind mentioned earlier, although despite numerous pilot interruptions errr announcements while attempting to sleep, no mention was made of the extra speed. I guess that left us to infer it was nimble piloting. Well at least those pax not tuned into Cruise Critic 😆

Unfortunately my upgraded E+ seats didn't come with the expected benefit of some shut eye so we could hit the ground running. I booked myself in one window seat and DH in the window seat behind me so we could both sleep (especially critical as I had ❤️ hours the night before. Well we got the seats we booked … and shared BOTH rows with a lovely family of 5. Yes 5 humans in 4 seats. Two lovely well behaved elementary aged girls shared my row and the parent and very young baby shared DH’s row. BTW, he discovered Bose noise cancelling headphones are tuned to a baby’s crying… needless to say it was a rough crossing, not counting the touch of turbulence or two we encountered .

lisbon airport was pretty efficient and I’m

impressed with the speed of the 3  immigration police processing what had to be 3 planes similarly blessed with an early arrival.

Also amazed that virtually all the restaurants in the good court area were open and serving good food at 5am. I think what we get at they time of day in our favored airport - 1 or 2 restaurants grudgingly serving coffee, donuts and breakfast sandwiches. Lisbon- good cappuccino and an abundance of beautiful pastries and freshly made crusty bread stuffed with various Presunto and other cured meats. 

And, not to be outdone, all the nice shops were either opened as we arrived or certainly by 6am. Great way to while away a couple hours!!

• Like 3

I have some catching up - we have been running since we landed in Lisbon Sunday and returning to our accommodations only to crash and fall into a deep slumber until the alarm woke us the next day.

Currently:

End of the first full day of the cruise and sitting up at 1050 pm waiting for maintenance to come fix the bedroom balcony which has been whistling up a storm. 2nd TA, 2nd time we’ve had the same issue. Maybe we’re cursed by some ancient mariner’s wind god?

I think the noise goes away when on different tacks (or is it tacts? Tacks, I think), so when we reported it this morning, the maintenance team may have come by when it wasn’t making noise. We were in the room late afternoon for a short spell - no noise, so we thought it was fixed.  But when we returned to turn in, there it was … like a giant steam kettle! 

sheesh

i think the night butler is trying to arrange a sleeping room for tonight. (Is that a suite advantage?)

yep he gave us an inside 1 deck down so we can sleep 😴 

well once we. Quieten the empty hangers …

good night

BTW  very roomy inside cabins, post pics in the morning 

Edited by ColdCruise
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, brookie848 said:

Sorry to hear about your noise issues.

What type of cabin is whistling? We're in a 2-bedroom in February and hope we don't have this issue. Hangers are bad enough.

The wind whistling in the sliding glass door in the bedroom. We have an port-side SJ, the bedroom has the slider on an angle while the sitting area has the slider parallel to the ship’s silhouette. The whistling only occurs in the angled slider. It is not constant, but a factor of ship’s direction and speed IMO.

Other than this annoyance, we really like the room and the slide’s presence isn’t an issue. We’ve heard a few people going down the slide but all the structure is behind our deck.

I hope you will enjoy your cabin as well as we have so far, based on only 1 full day 🤨

image.jpg

• Like 1

The  inside we were provided for sleeping last night was pretty spacious for an inside, exact bathroom layout as our SJ, and close to the same amount of closet space. Thousands less moneys, so I’d consider it for a port heavy itinerary. 

Forgive the disarray- too tired to photo last night, so this is the after shot 😉

F79E6EF2-B406-46D3-8430-D16111E709A2.jpeg

614C2152-2849-456A-B42D-177BD712CD91.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@ColdCruise will you be posting any Freestyle Dailies? I’m mostly interested in the embarkation one. I like to see what, where, and when I need to go to get the first day things done (like booking shows, etc). 

Also thanks for posting a pic of the inside cabin—I am sharing one with my adult son in a couple of weeks. 

• Like 1

TAP flight from on Sunday from Lisbon to Porto was a smooth operation. Lots of TAP crew in business class seating, likely going home for a break or to relieve other crew (mostly men).

Picking up luggage was easy, luggage hitting conveyor belt shortly after we arrived in that area. Straight shot out the “nothing to declare” path and our driver was waiting right in front of the exit from arrivals. I’d say 15-20 minutes from walking off the plane to driving away from the airport. Very well organized airport with clear signage.

IMG_3846.jpeg

• Like 3