Iona-Ventura Lisbon missed port?

normansbay

Unionized maritime pilots plan to strike natiownide Nov. 6-8. Members of the OFICIALMAR/FECTRANS and SINCOMAR unions are demanding assurances that their retirement age will remain at 60 years. Pilots are required to navigate freight and passenger shipping in and out of ports; the strike will likely cause delays and disruptions to port operations. Further industrial action is planned: Nov. 14-16, Nov. 22-24, and Nov. 29-30. 

Disruptions to port operations, including general cargo services and passenger ships, are almost certain during the strike. Lingering shipping delays could persist after the action ends as port authorities clear any backlogs. Related protests are possible near sea ports.

Announced less than a week ago. Often called off last minute but clearly not happening this time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Hampshire Steve said:

Oh great joy!

Currently on Arcadia, missed Cadiz, Missed Valencia, Missed Ajaccio, down to the recent weather - Lisbon is on our schedule for the 16th

Not getting the luck on that cruise.

Reading the stories of Saga’s Spirit of Discovery coming north through Biscay at weekend, it was the right decision to wait. Up to 100 injured on that ship with tables flying etc. several heading straight to hospital when ship docked in Portsmouth yesterday evening.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, molecrochip said:

Reading the stories of Saga’s Spirit of Discovery coming north through Biscay at weekend, it was the right decision to wait. Up to 100 injured on that ship with tables flying etc. several heading straight to hospital when ship docked in Portsmouth yesterday evening.

I agree the wait was essential and no way the fault of P&O. Anyway Arcadia always provides on ship  entertainment in dodging the buckets, Today the piano bar is fully open for the first time - Carpets dry!

Deck below's turn today with water laying on the carpets, plumbing problem present for years now but we still come back to this one!

Just entering the straights now, flat calm and warm so better things ahead perhaps

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Hampshire Steve said:

I agree the wait was essential and no way the fault of P&O. Anyway Arcadia always provides on ship  entertainment in dodging the buckets, Today the piano bar is fully open for the first time - Carpets dry!

Deck below's turn today with water laying on the carpets, plumbing problem present for years now but we still come back to this one!

Just entering the straights now, flat calm and warm so better things ahead perhaps

Firstly, enjoy your cruise.

Plumbing issues tend to be because people (inc crew) put stuff down the toilets they shouldn’t, blockage builds, pipe joint gives way, flood.

Some ships are just more prone to problems - Arcadia and Azura spring to mind. Lessons learnt and newer ships gave better pipework!

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Hampshire Steve said:

Arcadia is only ship I have been on where I have seen them mop the floor and mop the ceiling. I too remember lots of buckets and mini floods but my sister was on Arcadia a few months ago and saw none of that. It is obviously something that comes and goes.

13 minutes ago, BouncingWheel said:

Arcadia is only ship I have been on where I have seen them mop the floor and mop the ceiling. I too remember lots of buckets and mini floods but my sister was on Arcadia a few months ago and saw none of that. It is obviously something that comes and goes.

There were problems on Aurora recently, with buckets then driers around for a few nights, one incident was water coming in from the deck and under one of the doors during rough weather.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, molecrochip said:

Just checked, Iona currently showing as Lisbon next stop so might be lucky.

Portuguese pilots have been known in the past to allow cruise traffic in but not commercial & ferries, on occasion. Wait and see I’m afraid.

Both ships currently expecting to progress as planned. Iona due in first, Ventura 30 mins later.

• Like 3

Been on Aurora few times and it is my favourite ship. I have been fortunate on her and never seen a bucket or leak. In fact, I am sure the feature in the atrium was meant to have a steady flow of water over it to make it glisten and it doesn’t anymore OR the  1st time I was onboard that was a leak.

Onboard Iona now and the Captain has just announced that we are setting sail for Lisbon shortly and due to pass under the April 25th bridge around 8am tomorrow. 

Edited by Tilly20
  • Like 5

23 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

There were problems on Aurora recently, with buckets then driers around for a few nights, one incident was water coming in from the deck and under one of the doors during rough weather.

Yes, on Aurora in March (Northern Lights) waves were breaking over the Prom Deck and coming into the pub under the doors. Soon rectified with lots of blue towels placed strategically. All good fun! 

• Like 2

Captain on Ventura has just made the pre departure announcement and no suggestion that there’s any doubt about Lisbon. However, I guess there’s still a chance we might hit problems in the morning. Personally I can take or leave Lisbon (cruises go there too often IMHO) but I would hope for a replacement port and not an extra sea day. 

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

Captain on Ventura has just made the pre departure announcement and no suggestion that there’s any doubt about Lisbon. However, I guess there’s still a chance we might hit problems in the morning. Personally I can take or leave Lisbon (cruises go there too often IMHO) but I would hope for a replacement port and not an extra sea day. 

I think it may be a case of first one there gets the berth. No medals for second place; just a straight run to Blighty.

Our driver reckons to be hitting 20 knots; try and keep up! 😂

• Haha 2

17 hours ago, molecrochip said:

Would you be able to explain what this automatic propulsion safety system is that Saga have mentioned please?  Do P&O ships have these or are they only on certain ships as requested at build?  Reading of the difficulties the Saga ship has been in (including being at a full stop for many hours) as a result of the operation of hers I'd like to know what process the activation goes through to cause such abrupt activation, do the crew actually have anything to do with this or does some sort of AI just take over without warning?  A Google search indicates I'm not alone in wondering what they are talking about with many mystified.  Of course I suppose it could just be a PR spin but would be a rather strange thing to do!

Edited by Megabear2
  • Like 1

Just now, Selbourne said:

We are just arriving in Lisbon now (on Ventura) and Iona is just manoeuvring onto her berth just in front of us. 👍

I just caught a glimpse of you through the side windows of Pearl

17 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Would you be able to explain what this automatic propulsion safety system is that Saga have mentioned please?  Do P&O ships have these or are they only on certain ships as requested at build?  Reading of the difficulties the Saga ship has been in (including being at a full stop for many hours) as a result of the operation of hers I'd like to know what process the activation goes through to cause such abrupt activation, do the crew actually have anything to do with this or does some sort of AI just take over without warning?  A Google search indicates I'm not alone in wondering what they are talking about with many mystified.  Of course I suppose it could just be a PR spin but would be a rather strange thing to do!

I don’t know!

Elsewhere there is talk that the ship took a significant lurch to one side. My presumption is that the ship listed beyond its normal operating angle. Such a list may risk exposing the propulsion system and causing damage when it then re-enters the water. Also, you don’t want engines pushing the ship in the direction of the list, making it worse. Therefore I’m guessing some kind of fail safe system here.

The ship uses Siemens SISHIP SiPODs for the ship's propulsion and power distribution systems which I have no specific knowledge off.

Edited by molecrochip
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, Megabear2 said:

I’m glad that you asked, as it does sound very odd.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Megabear2 said:

You may already be aware of this one, if you are not do a google search on the 2019 Viking Sky incident.  Similar in the sense that the difficulties were caused by inbuilt safety systems causing unforeseen consequences.

• Thanks 1