Favorite Seafood

lenquixote66

7 hours ago, Lois R said:

Saw the Dr this morning....my numbers have come down (thankfully)....still a little high but nothing like what happened to me a few weeks ago. She wants me to drink, drink, drink......I am alternating between water and Crystal Light.  Water is SO BORING.........Crystal Light tastes good and has no sugar in it. I normally drink the Peach Tea.

Very good news Lois.  I always make up a big batch of Crystal Light.  Try one packet Peach Tea and one packet of Lemonade and 1/3 can of lemonade concentrate…makes a gallon.  The concentrate takes away the sugar free aftertaste!  Check out a kidney diet.  No harsh meats like cured meat or fatty beef.  No dark greens like spinach, broccoli or kale etc.  check it out.

9 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Very good news Lois.  I always make up a big batch of Crystal Light.  Try one packet Peach Tea and one packet of Lemonade and 1/3 can of lemonade concentrate…makes a gallon.  The concentrate takes away the sugar free aftertaste!  Check out a kidney diet.  No harsh meats like cured meat or fatty beef.  No dark greens like spinach, broccoli or kale etc.  check it out.

Good morning, thanks for the recipe suggestion but I never buy frozen concentrate. What do you do with the 2/3's of the unused can? Lemonade is a bit too tart for me......I did buy a strawberry/banana mixture too. Will give that one a try.  I guess the peach tea offsets the lemonade?

As for the diet, I will use google and see what comes up. My other issue is diabetes.....type 2.......so the green veggies are good for that......you are saying they are not good for kidneys? Yikes.

4 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Good morning, thanks for the recipe suggestion but I never buy frozen concentrate. What do you do with the 2/3's of the unused can? Lemonade is a bit too tart for me......I did buy a strawberry/banana mixture too. Will give that one a try.  I guess the peach tea offsets the lemonade?

As for the diet, I will use google and see what comes up. My other issue is diabetes.....type 2.......so the green veggies are good for that......you are saying they are not good for kidneys? Yikes.

The concentrate has sugar and will moderate the Crystal Light.  That is why I only use a third.  Then you just put the rest of the frozen concentrate back into the freezer for future use….try it.  It will brighten up your tea.  I always mix the Crystal Light and the concentrate in hot water then stir.  Then fill the jug with cold water and stir then let the jug sit in the fridge overnight.  Also try adding a couple of shots of seltzer or flavored seltzer water to your glass of iced tea!  You will have an almost sugar free carbonated fruit drink!  

Right…dark greens are bad for the kidneys as are fatty or cured meats…think sirloin strip and fillet as your best meat.  Think chicken, pork, etc.  Think iceberg lettuce, celery, carrots, onions, etc.  

7 minutes ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

The concentrate has sugar and will moderate the Crystal Light.  That is why I only use a third.  Then you just put the rest of the frozen concentrate back into the freezer for future use….try it.  It will brighten up your tea.  I always mix the Crystal Light and the concentrate in hot water then stir.  Then fill the jug with cold water and stir then let the jug sit in the fridge overnight.  Also try adding a couple of shots of seltzer or flavored seltzer water to your glass of iced tea!  You will have an almost sugar free carbonated fruit drink!  

Right…dark greens are bad for the kidneys as are fatty or cured meats…think sirloin strip and fillet as your best meat.  Think chicken, pork, etc.  Think iceberg lettuce, celery, carrots, onions, etc.  

Hi again, I really like the Crystal Light just the way it is😃...tastes bright enough for me on its own. As for seltzer? I don't keep any carbonated items in the house and really don't see that changing any time soon but I appreciate your suggestions. 

Fatty meats are not good for anyone really LOL Yes, I love chicken and pork. but I do like green vegetables too LOL

• 2 months later...

In an attempt to steer this conversation back on topic.

I think I prefer most shellfish over "fins and scales" fish.  Off hand I guess I would say that steamed mussels are one of my favorites.

A few years ago my wife and I visited the seafood bar on the Royal Princess.  We both love Oysters on the Half-Shell, and, sure enough, it was on the menu.  A waiter made his way over to our table and I ordered a bottle of Albarino.

My wife asked, "Where do your oysters come from?"

"Texas," came the reply.

I tensed, a bit, and thought to myself, "Uh oh.  Well, there is an "R" in September.  So, maybe. . . ."

No good.  We did not order oysters.  Mrs. XBGuy will only eat cold water oysters.

17 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

I never ate oysters

A few weeks ago NASCAR visited Los Angeles for a race.  We have friends on various teams and  hosted three of them for a dinner at a pretty nice Downtown Los Angeles restaurant that features seafood.  My wife ordered appetizers for the table and asked if our guests were OK with oysters.  There were two enthusiastic "Yes" responses and one "Pass,"  So, she ordered a platter--a selection from Washington and BC.  They were, of course, darned good, and the one person who was abstaining grew curious.  We urged him to try the last one.  He liked it.  His comment was, "Now I get it."  Apparently, he had tried an oyster once before, in Florida, and found it to be "rubbery."  So, we converted one more.

1 hour ago, XBGuy said:

A few weeks ago NASCAR visited Los Angeles for a race.  We have friends on various teams and  hosted three of them for a dinner at a pretty nice Downtown Los Angeles restaurant that features seafood.  My wife ordered appetizers for the table and asked if our guests were OK with oysters.  There were two enthusiastic "Yes" responses and one "Pass,"  So, she ordered a platter--a selection from Washington and BC.  They were, of course, darned good, and the one person who was abstaining grew curious.  We urged him to try the last one.  He liked it.  His comment was, "Now I get it."  Apparently, he had tried an oyster once before, in Florida, and found it to be "rubbery."  So, we converted one more.

I ,as a rule,do not eat fish or seafood.The exceptions being shrimp,scallops and eel but only on cruises or in restaurants.

On 11/9/2023 at 8:20 AM, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Favorite seafood:  Alaskan King Crab, Maine/Canadian lobster baked stuffed, steamed, sautéed, served cold in salad/sandwich/roll, baked haddock, smoked haddock creamed Finan Haddie style, baked stuffed flounder with mornay sauce, Dover sole, shrimp any style, halibut mornay, seafood/lobster Newburg, oysters mornay, fried clams, steamed clams, mussels marinara, broiled or fried scallops and a few others along the way.  I love them all.

I have to say a real close first place would be The Fisherman’s Platter.  This is a fried feast of clams, scallops, shrimp, haddock and French fries with cole slaw and Tartar sauce.  You can also get this with the addition of fried lobster tail!

I forgot…Italian baked stuffed calamari with a red sauce made with the tentacles and pan sauce.  Served over linguini…this is my all-time favorite Italian dish!  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

I forgot…Italian baked stuffed calamari with a red sauce made with the tentacles and pan sauce.  Served over linguini…this is my all-time favorite Italian dish!  

My all time favorite Italian dish is the old standard Veal Parmigiana.The best I ever ate was in a restaurant in Boston in 1973.

On 2/24/2024 at 3:36 PM, lenquixote66 said:

My all time favorite Italian dish is the old standard Veal Parmigiana.The best I ever ate was in a restaurant in Boston in 1973.

Finding a great veal parm these days is a near impossibility.  I’ve given up and I’ll just stick to chicken.  I tell you what…I’m going to lunch today at a good restaurant.  They have veal parm on their menu.  I’ll order it and report back here afterwards.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Finding a great veal parm these days is a near impossibility.  I’ve given up and I’ll just stick to chicken.  I tell you what…I’m going to lunch today at a good restaurant.  They have veal parm on their menu.  I’ll order it and report back here afterwards.

Sal Anthony’s in Manhattan was perhaps the best overall Italian restaurant I ever ate in.I worked nearby close to 30 years and dined there more than any restaurant ever.

4 minutes ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

We had to postpone lunch today and move it to next Friday.  I’ll report on the veal situation then.😋

Lunch? I just made a ham and cheese omlette with 2 pieces of dark 8 grain bread, toasted. I love a good omlette🙂

1 hour ago, Lois R said:

Lunch? I just made a ham and cheese omlette with 2 pieces of dark 8 grain bread, toasted. I love a good omlette🙂

Sautéed asparagus with spiral ham and either baby Swiss or sharp cheddar finished under the broiler and served fat and flat…yummmmm!  

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
18 hours ago, CHPURSER said:

"I never visited New York and have no desire to"

Sounds rather pathetic, don't you think?

I never visited Miami .In fact other than flying to Ft.Lauderdale to board a cruise and being on a cruise with a stop in Cocoa Beach I have never been to Fla.