Favorite Seafood

lenquixote66

My favorite was the seafood options (many of them) we recently experienced in on the new Explora Journeys 1 ship.  Their lido is called the Emporium, and is a large facility with many different stations including a raw seafood bar/station and a seafood grill.  While we did not generally dine in that venue (there were also 5 sit-down restaurants on the ship) we had 2 dinners in the Emporium,  On our final night I stopped at the raw bar and had them fill m place with raw oysters (on the half shell), cracked crab claws, and a few huge shrimp.  After enjoying that starter I stopped at the seafood grill station and ordered 2 grilled lobsters (choices were swordfish, hadock, salmon, lobster tails, and lobster).  Everything was decliciousl, plated/cooked to order, and tasted fresh (although that would likely be freshly thawed for some items).  That same night, DW grabbed an individual sized caserole that was full of chunks of lobster and scallops.  Yum.  Another first was that they had two different types of lobster at the grill!   They also had a Sushi Bar (in another venue) where two sushi chefs made all kinds of sushi/sashami to order.  A sushi and seafood lovers dream.

In 50 years of extensive cruising, we have never seen this kind of seafood selection (all prepared to order).  The only raw seafood we have experienced that came close was an amazing seafood starter in Aqualina  (Azamara) many years ago.  That starter had half a lobster tail, shrimp, oysters, and scallops served on a large platter of crushed ice.

The downside to Explora Journeys is that it has rapidly become a very expensive cruise line.  But for

Hank

• Like 2

Probably crab. Although I'm quite fond of traditional potted shrimps or a classic prawn cocktail. But I'll happily eat most things that come out of the sea. 

EDIT: I'll happily eat most things. 

Edited by Harters

Favorite seafood:  Alaskan King Crab, Maine/Canadian lobster baked stuffed, steamed, sautéed, served cold in salad/sandwich/roll, baked haddock, smoked haddock creamed Finan Haddie style, baked stuffed flounder with mornay sauce, Dover sole, shrimp any style, halibut mornay, seafood/lobster Newburg, oysters mornay, fried clams, steamed clams, mussels marinara, broiled or fried scallops and a few others along the way.  I love them all.

I have to say a real close first place would be The Fisherman’s Platter.  This is a fried feast of clams, scallops, shrimp, haddock and French fries with cole slaw and Tartar sauce.  You can also get this with the addition of fried lobster tail!

13 minutes ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

I have to say a real close first place would be The Fisherman’s Platter.

One of my most memorable plates of food was at a restaurant in Calais. It was on the top floor of an apartment block, almost next to the port. Had the weather been better, it would have been possible to see England, 20+ miles away on the other side of the Channel.

So, served as a starter, this "assiette de fruits de mer" brought a plate of whelks, winkles, grey shrimps, three oysters, a couple of prawns and a langoustine. Served with bread, mayo and vinegary/oniony sauce.

The rest of the meal was really good, as well. Main course was a monkfish tagine. And dessert a "Traditionnel Calais" - coffee cake, topped with coffee icing  and served with an espresso ice cream. 

A "proper" lunch.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/9/2023 at 8:20 AM, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Favorite seafood:  Alaskan King Crab, Maine/Canadian lobster baked stuffed, steamed, sautéed, served cold in salad/sandwich/roll, baked haddock, smoked haddock creamed Finan Haddie style, baked stuffed flounder with mornay sauce, Dover sole, shrimp any style, halibut mornay, seafood/lobster Newburg, oysters mornay, fried clams, steamed clams, mussels marinara, broiled or fried scallops and a few others along the way.  I love them all.

I have to say a real close first place would be The Fisherman’s Platter.  This is a fried feast of clams, scallops, shrimp, haddock and French fries with cole slaw and Tartar sauce.  You can also get this with the addition of fried lobster tail!

I haven't checked in here for a while.......Hi CGT😀 loving your list of seafood. 

Hope you have a Happy Thanksgiving😃.....I have a question for you. I know you have mentioned Kidney Dialysis before......I have to see a Nephrologist a couple of times a year. Just had my blood work done....my Creatine number seems to be going up. I know that is not good.😮 Any advice?

Not sure why I had the jump from my bloodwork earlier in the year............

7 hours ago, Lois R said:

I haven't checked in here for a while.......Hi CGT😀 loving your list of seafood. 

Hope you have a Happy Thanksgiving😃.....I have a question for you. I know you have mentioned Kidney Dialysis before......I have to see a Nephrologist a couple of times a year. Just had my blood work done....my Creatine number seems to be going up. I know that is not good.😮 Any advice?

Not sure why I had the jump from my bloodwork earlier in the year............

Hi Lois…Happy Thanksgiving to you too!  I followed your recent transatlantic on Nova!  

You might want to look at a kidney diet to protect your kidneys.  There are a number of things you can do to keep your kidneys healthy.  Talk to your nephrologist about the rate of creatine loss.  They compare it from year to year.  Chances are it will be another 40 years before you have to be worried.😁

Edited by CGTNORMANDIE

25 minutes ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Hi Lois…Happy Thanksgiving to you too!  I followed your recent transatlantic on Nova!  

You might want to look at a kidney diet to protect your kidneys.  There are a number of things you can do to keep your kidneys healthy.  Talk to your nephrologist about the rate of creatine loss.  They compare it from year to year.  Chances are it will be another 40 years before you have to be worried.😁

Hi, you are being silly.🙂....I will be long gone in 40 years.......

On 11/23/2023 at 7:49 PM, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Hi CGT.......well, I had to go for a 2nd set of labs........the creatine loss went up too much for her liking (in a shorter period time)..........I don't know what has happened😮but had lab work today.  Wish me luck because I don't know what is wrong.☹️

2 hours ago, Lois R said:

Hi CGT.......well, I had to go for a 2nd set of labs........the creatine loss went up too much for her liking (in a shorter period time)..........I don't know what has happened😮but had lab work today.  Wish me luck because I don't know what is wrong.☹️

Hang in there Lois and try to get your doctor to level with you about your creatine loss rate in terms of weeks and months.  Again I emphasize taking a close look at a kidney diet.  Please keep us posted.

13 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Hang in there Lois and try to get your doctor to level with you about your creatine loss rate in terms of weeks and months.  Again I emphasize taking a close look at a kidney diet.  Please keep us posted.

Hi CGT, this loss just happened. I go to see the Dr twice a year and she is always honest with me about my numbers.  This jumped over a full point in less than 3 months☹️.  That is not good.....I know that much. Will let you know what happens.

Hi again, too long to go into typing, but my numbers went through the roof.......I am in the hospital now. Had a kidney stone removed last night and a stent put in........taking it day by day. Send good thoughts please.

• 2 weeks later...

Just had somewhat of a shock while on the Sky Princess.  That large ship has a seafood venue called "Catch by Rudi,"  (named after Rudi Sodamin).  The first time we dined in that venue, both DW and I ordered Dover Sole which was fileted tableside and served with a ramekin of delicious browned butter.  It was as good as any sole I have ever eaten (hard to believe since it was on Princess).  DW and I managed to get another reservation at the venue so we could again have their sole (it was just as good as the first time).

Hank

On 12/6/2023 at 12:17 PM, Lois R said:

Hi again, too long to go into typing, but my numbers went through the roof.......I am in the hospital now. Had a kidney stone removed last night and a stent put in........taking it day by day. Send good thoughts please.

Hi Lois,

I just saw this!  I’ve been out two weeks with Covid…no problem.  I hope all is well with you now.  Give me an update.

1 hour ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Hi Lois,

I just saw this!  I’ve been out two weeks with Covid…no problem.  I hope all is well with you now.  Give me an update.

Hi, hope you are feeling better. I was in the hospital for 5 days. I had the stemt removed this morning and tomorrow I have a follow up with my nephrologist. I feel fine, thankfully. Will let you know what she says.

5 hours ago, Lois R said:

Hi, hope you are feeling better. I was in the hospital for 5 days. I had the stemt removed this morning and tomorrow I have a follow up with my nephrologist. I feel fine, thankfully. Will let you know what she says.

Fingers crossed prayers said.  Keep us posted.

17 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Fingers crossed prayers said.  Keep us posted.

Saw the Dr this morning....my numbers have come down (thankfully)....still a little high but nothing like what happened to me a few weeks ago. She wants me to drink, drink, drink......I am alternating between water and Crystal Light.  Water is SO BORING.........Crystal Light tastes good and has no sugar in it. I normally drink the Peach Tea.