Mariner's ship horn

We are currently docked (on Wonder) next to Mariner here in Cozumel.  They blew the horn for drills this morning...OMG!!   What happened to that nice deep mellow ship horn?  It is like nails on a chalk board...sounds like the obnoxious air horns they blow at ball games.  😱

• Haha 2

The horn for general alarm sounds off in all speakers , especially in your cabin,  that notifies passengers and crew.

The fog / sailaway  horn is only for notifying  other  ships . 

Edited by mo&fran
  • Like 2

Mariner along with the other voyager class and the freedom class ships has about 10 small grey horns that sound like sport air horns scattered around the ship on the upper decks.  They only sound when the emergency alarms sound.  There is a switch on the bridge that allows for these horns to be turned off or the main ships horn to be sounded aswell.  Not all ships with them use them . The pa tones bells and buzzers thru out the ship will sound regardless if the horns are on or not

2 hours ago, island lady said:

We are currently docked (on Wonder) next to Mariner here in Cozumel.  They blew the horn for drills this morning...OMG!!   What happened to that nice deep mellow ship horn?  It is like nails on a chalk board...sounds like the obnoxious air horns they blow at ball games.  😱

Could be worse. You could be subject to the annoying Princess Love Boat song Princess blasts. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, sergeant655 said:

Mariner along with the other voyager class and the freedom class ships has about 10 small grey horns that sound like sport air horns scattered around the ship on the upper decks.  They only sound when the emergency alarms sound.  There is a switch on the bridge that allows for these horns to be turned off or the main ships horn to be sounded aswell.  Not all ships with them use them . The pa tones bells and buzzers thru out the ship will sound regardless if the horns are on or not

I believe you are correct but also there are large red alarm horns mounted near the top between every other lifeboat as well as certain other locations on outer decks (see photo below).  In addition to internal bells.  During drills on the Voyager class ships, you are potentially hearing about 6 different types of noise-making devices during the general alarm.  It is absolutely not just the ship's whistle.

I had personal hearing protection for drills while working for them. 😅

s-l400.png

Edited by compuryan

• 3 months later...
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, jimdalva said:

We love both Princess and Disney horns!

OK maybe one or two short toots and it's cute.  But we were docked next to a Princess ship in St. Kitts one time, and as they were preparing to depart, while they were departing, and until they were well past the pier, they bellowed quite loudly what rapidly became the most nauseating theme song I've ever been tortured with.  I am not exaggerating when I say it went on without interruption for 6 or 7 minutes.  And of course it was on our balcony side of the ship!  (Not that it would have mattered, they probably could be heard in Nevis). No thank you - not a fan - don't find it fun - never want to hear it again.

Haven't had the Disney pleasure as yet.....LOL

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

I would rather listen to that than the tiring and very annoying Coco Cay song the ship insists on cranking up loud when you get there.    Ughh.  🤢

Edited by island lady
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, island lady said:

I would rather listen to that than the tiring and very annoying Coco Cay song the ship insists on cranking up loud when you get there.    Ughh.  🤢

We've got 11 nights coming up (27 March) of listening to the Princess love boat theme. 🥴

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, doghog said:

We've got 11 nights coming up (27 March) of listening to the Princess love boat theme. 🥴

Oh no...now I have that song stuck in my head....thanks a lot Captain Stubing.   😆

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, island lady said:

Oh no...now I have that song stuck in my head....thanks a lot Captain Stubing.   😆

Good thing we have the Plus Beverage Package. 🤣 🍻

• Like 1
  • Haha 1